Dr. Charlie Shaffer is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Attending Psychiatrist at Weill Cornell. In his faculty practice, he provides diagnostic evaluations, psychotherapy and treatment with medications.
Specialties and Expertise
- Adult Psychiatry
- Anxiety and Depression
- Bipolar Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Personality Disorder
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy
Dr. Charlie Shaffer earned his undergraduate degree from Magdalen College at the University of Oxford, where he studied Modern History. Returning to his home in New York, Dr. Shaffer completed a post-baccalaureate premedical studies program at Columbia University and then entered medical school at Columbia University’s College of Physicians & Surgeons. After graduating, Dr. Shaffer did his residency in the Payne Whitney Department of Psychiatry at NewYork-Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medicine, where he served as Chief Resident and received the APA Resident Recognition Award. During training, Dr. Shaffer helped set up and run the Ketamine Infusion Service to treat inpatients with treatment-refractory depression. He also obtained advanced training in psychotherapy at the Personality Disorders Institute.
As an attending at Weill Cornell, Dr. Shaffer works on the inpatient unit and Ketamine Service, while also maintaining an outpatient practice. His current research is centered on the impact of COVID-19 on the treatment of patients with serious mental illness. He remains very involved in the supervision and teaching of residents and medical students.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2016
- M.A., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 2011
- B.A., Oxford University (United Kingdom), 2008
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported