Anthony Ahmed, PhD is a clinical psychologist with expertise in cognitive-behavioral therapy and other psychosocial treatments for adults with psychotic disorders, mood and anxiety disorders, substance use problems, and relational difficulties. Dr. Ahmed provides a range of services including diagnostic evaluations, psychotherapy, assessments, and consultation. He is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry and Weill Cornell Medicine and an Assistant Attending Psychologist for the Psychotic Disorders Division at NewYork Presbyterian Hospital.
Specialties and Expertise
- Schizophrenic Disorder
- Psychotic Disorder
- Mood Disorder
- Anxiety Disorder
- Cognitive Deficits
- Cognitive Rehabilitation
- Impulsivity Assessment
- Substance Use Disorder
- Individual Therapy
- Couples Therapy
- Family Therapy
- Social Problem
- Interpersonal Problem
Dr. Anthony Ahmed is an assistant professor in the Department of Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College. He completed his doctoral training in clinical psychology at the University of Southern Mississippi, a psychology internship at the VA Maryland Health Care System/University of Maryland Baltimore. Dr. Ahmed completed a Psychotic Disorders Postdoctoral Fellowship at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta University. Before moving to New York, Dr. Ahmed served as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the Medical college of Georgia. Dr. Ahmed currently serves as attending psychologist for the Psychotic Disorders Division at NewYork Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Ahmed’s current research interests include: 1) cognitive deficits and their treatment in schizophrenia; 2) the phenomenology of negative symptoms and functional deficits; and 3) the neurobiology of schizophrenia and related psychiatric illness.
Dr. Ahmed’s academic work is supported by the Brain and Behavior Research Foundation and the National Institute of Health (NCATS). His early career achievements have been recognized by several young investigator awards and early career awards. Dr. Ahmed has published several academic articles on psychotic disorders, mood disorders, aggression, neurobiology, and recovery-oriented care.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- National Institute of Health (NIH) Clinical Research Loan Repayment (LRP) Award, 2017
- Judy E. Hall Early Career Psychologist Award winner, 2015
- 15th International Congress on Schizophrenia Research Young Investigator Award Recipient, 2015
- American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP) 52nd Annual Meeting Young Investigator Travel Award recipient, 2013
- Brain and Behavior Research Foundation and the 16th Annual Cognitive Remediation in Psychiatry Conference Science to Practice Award recipient, 2013
- American Society for Clinical Psychopharmacology (ASCP) 52nd Annual NCDEU New Investigator Award recipient, 2012
- 2012 American College of Psychiatrists Award: Creativity in Psychiatric Education (Awarded to the Project GREAT team for work on recovery education), 2012
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Psychologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Psychology in Clinical Psychiatry - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- Ph.D., University of Southern Mississippi, 2010
- M.A., University of Southern Mississippi, 2007
- B.Sc., University of Maryland, 2002
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark