Specialties and Expertise
I believe that patient education is essential to the collaborative effort between physician and patient to achieve an optimal outcome. In my practice, I spend the extra time to make certain that my patients have a thorough understanding of both their illness and the treatment options available. My particular areas of focus are Men’s Heath, as well as voiding dysfunction in both Men and Women. A particular passion of mine is Community Health Awareness of Urologic Disease. I have organized numerous educational and screening programs involving prostate cancer awareness and bladder health.
For more information on Dr. Winkler, please CLICK HERE.
Video Visits / Telemedicine Appointments
At Weill Cornell Medicine, Department of Urology, our top priority remains the care of our patients. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are emphasizing the use of Video Visits to provide a safe, effective, secure, and convenient way to provide care. Video Visits allows us to continue to fulfill our mission to provide best-in-class care for all of our patients.
New and existing patients will have direct access to Dr. Winkler through a smartphone (preferred) or computer. Our patients will receive instructions to a unique, secure, and private link to access the Video Visit session once the appointment is scheduled.
Nearly all of our visits are being performed via Video Visit at this time. During the Video Visit with Dr. Winkler, he will determine if an in-person office visit is needed.
Please call our office at (646) 962-9600 to schedule a private Video Visit today.
Click on the links below for more information and instructions on how to inititate your Video Visit.
Dr. Alfred C Winkler, MD received his AB from Princeton University in 1989. He went on to pursue Medicine at SUNY Stony Brook School of Medicine where he was awarded his Medical Doctorate in 1993. He completed his residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in 1999. He has been a board certified Urologist and member of the American Urologic Association since 1999. In 2015, he was awarded a Masters in Business Administration from NYU.
Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medicine in 2015, Dr. Winkler held Urology Residency Site Director positions at both the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Icahn School of Medicine. He was also Chief of Urology at Jacobi Medical Center/North Central Bronx Hospital and subsequently Elmhurst Hospital Center/Queens Hospital Center. He won Resident Teaching awards at both residency programs. He is currently Chief of Urology at NYP-Lower Manhattan Hospital. Dr. Winkler also sees patients and performs operative procedures at WCMC-NYP.
Dr. Winkler believes that patient education is essential to the collaborative effort between physician and patient to achieve an optimal outcome. In his practice, he spends the extra time to make certain his patients have a thorough understanding of both their illness and the treatment options available. Dr. Winkler's particular areas of focus are Men's Heath, Stone Disease, as well as voiding Dysfunction in both Men and Women.
A particular passion is Community Health Awareness of Urologic Disease. Dr. Winkler has organized numerous educational and screening programs involving prostate cancer awareness and bladder health.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Urologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Urology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., State University of New York at Stony Brook, School of Medicine, 1993
- A.B., Princeton University, 1989
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY