Locations and Appointments
Please contact the doctor's office to verify that your insurance is accepted.
- Blue Access
- Blue Connection
- Mediblue (Senior)
- Medicare Advantage
- Community Plan
About Alexander Eliot Merkler, MD, MS
Dr. Merkler is a native New Yorker who received his undergraduate degree from Brown University where he graduated magna cum laude. Dr. Merkler earned his medical degree from New York University where he received the prestigious Rosenbluth Grant for international laboratory research. Dr. Merkler completed residency in neurology at the Weill Cornell Medical College and served as the Chief Resident in his final year. Dr. Merkler then completed a two-year fellowship in neurocritical care at Columbia University / Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Merkler is board certified in Neurology and Neurocritical Care. Dr. Merkler is an expert in stroke and acute brain and spine injury. Dr. Merkler has authored more than 100 publications in peer reviewed medical journals on neurological disorders. Dr. Merkler also serves as a peer reviewer for several medical journals including JAMA, Neurology, Stroke, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Circulation, and Hypertension. Dr. Merkler is currently funded by a Career Development Award from the American Heart Association and a Weill Cornell Medicine Grant to study the neurological complications of Covid-19. He is a past recipient of a KL2 award from the NIH and the Leon Levy Fellowship.
- 2021 Siekert New Investigator Award in Stroke
- 2020 Weill Cornell Medicine Covid-19 Research Grant
- 2019 American Neurological Association Travel Award
- 2018 Career Development Award from the Americaxn Heart Association
- 2017 Neurology Best Faculty Teaching Award
- 2017 KL2 Award from the NIH
2016 International Stroke Conference New Investigator Travel Award
- American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting Fellow Scholarship Award
- Neurology Resident Teaching Award, Cornell University
- American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting Resident Scholarship Award
- Chief Resident in Neurology at Cornell
- Rosenbluth Foundation Travel Grant for research conducted in Peru through NYU School of Medicine
- Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, Brown University
- Phi Beta Kappa, Brown University
M.D.New York University School of Medicine2010
Assistant Attending NeurologistNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Assistant Professor of NeurologyWeill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Professor of NeuroscienceWeill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported