Specialties and Expertise
- Pediatric Hospitalist
- Well Baby Visit
As a pediatric hospitalist, I specialize in taking care of children facing some of the most challenging moments of their lives. Whether my patients are sick, injured, having surgery, or simply adjusting to being born, I work to support them and their families with the knowledge and the courage to overcome their personal challenges.
Dr. Nelson is a clinical assistant professor of pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medicine, where he serves as the Associate Pediatrics Clerkship Director. He is also an assistant attending pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where he works as a pediatric hospitalist.
Dr. Nelson grew up in Teaneck, NJ. He attended Vassar College, where he earned a BA in Biochemistry and Dance. He received his MD at Tufts University School of Medicine, and completed his residency training at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx. In 2020, Dr. Nelson also earned a Masters in Health Professions Education from Maastricht University and New York University.
Board-certified in both general pediatrics and pediatric hospital medicine, Dr. Nelson worked for five years as an assistant professor and pediatric hospitalist at Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School, where he also served as the Associate Residency Program Director. He has been involved in medical education throughout his training and career, and it remains a major focus of his work.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 6/2019, Department of Pediatrics Attending of the Year Award, Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School
- 6/2016, Department of Pediatrics Service from the Heart Award, Rutgers-New Jersey Medical School
- 6/2015, Leo M. Davidoff Society Award for Outstanding Achievement in Teaching Medical Students, Lewis M. Fraad Department of Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- 5/2013, Intern Award for Excellence in Teaching, Lewis M. Fraad Department of Pediatrics, Jacobi Medical Center at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Pediatrician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Pediatrics - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 2012
- B.A., Vassar College, 2008
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Emblem Select Care
- Fidelis Care
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY