Ana G. Alzaga Fernandez, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
- General Ophthalmology
- Refractive Surgery
- Corneal Disease
- Cornea Disorder
- LASIK Surgery
- Laser Vision Correction Surgery
- Cornea Surgery
Dr. Ana Alzaga Fernandez is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medicine. She is a board-certified ophthalmologist who provides comprehensive eye care and specializes in Cornea, Refractive and Cataract Surgery.
Dr. Alzaga Fernandez graduated from the medical school of the Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas in Tampico, Mexico. She received the "Dr. Rodolfo Maya Gonzalez" award given to the most outstanding student from her class. She then completed a research fellowship at the Retinal Vascular Center at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston, TX. After completion of an internal medicine preliminary internship year at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, TX, she pursued her ophthalmology training at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI. She was selected to be chief resident with her main focus in research development amongst her peers. After residency, she completed a one year fellowship program in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at Weill Cornell Medicine Ophthalmology.
Dr. Alzaga Fernandez has participated in several book chapters and publications, and has been involved in multiple research protocols. She is highly committed to medical student and resident education. Dr. Alzaga Fernandez focuses on providing excellence in patient care and her ability to speak fluent Spanish, Italian and French bridges language gaps to ensure the best patient experience. Her main clinical interests are corneal and anterior segment diseases in both adult and pediatric populations, ocular surface disorders, dry eye, corneal transplantation, cataract surgery and laser vision correction.
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
- Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Education and Training
- M.D., Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas Faculdad de Medicina (Mexico), 2006
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee Managed Care Plan
- Aetna Weill Cornell Employee PPO Plan
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- * Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.
No External Relationships Reported