Ana G. Alzaga Fernandez, M.D.
Dr. Ana Alzaga Fernandez is an assistant professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical College. She is a board-certified ophthalmologist who provides comprehensive eye care and specializes in Cornea, Refractive and Cataract Surgery as a member of the Weill Cornell Eye Associates.
Dr. Alzaga Fernandez graduated from the medical school of the Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas in Tampico, Mexico. She received the "Dr. Rodolfo Maya Gonzalez" award given to the most outstanding student from her class. She then completed a research fellowship at the Retinal Vascular Center at St. Joseph's Hospital in Houston, TX. After completion of an internal medicine preliminary internship year at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, TX, she pursued her ophthalmology training at the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, MI. She was selected to be chief resident with her main focus in research development amongst her peers. After residency, she completed a one year fellowship program in Cornea, Cataract and Refractive Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Alzaga Fernandez has participated in several book chapters and publications, and has been involved in multiple research protocols. She is highly committed to medical student and resident education. Dr. Alzaga Fernandez focuses on providing excellence in patient care and her ability to speak fluent Spanish, Italian and French bridges language gaps to ensure the best patient experience. Her main clinical interests are corneal and anterior segment diseases in both adult and pediatric populations, ocular surface disorders, dry eye, corneal transplantation, cataract surgery and laser vision correction.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- General Ophthalmology
- Refractive Surgery
- Corneal Disease
- Cornea Disorder
- LASIK Surgery
- Laser Vision Correction Surgery
- M.D., Universidad Autonoma de Tamaulipas Faculdad de Medicina (Mexico), 2006