Vinita E. Jacob, M.D.
Dr. Vinita Jacob is the Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at The Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University and an Attending Physician, New York-Presbyterian Hospital Cornell campus. She joined the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology in July 2008 working with Dr. Ellen Scherl and Dr. Brian Bosworth in the Jill Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. She specializes in the treatment of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease as well as gastroenterology and endoscopy. Under the scope of inflammatory bowel disease, she has given numerous presentations on women's issues in IBD , particularly IBD related fertility and safety of IBD medications during pregnancy. She is also a co-investigator in multiple clinical trials for inflammatory bowel disease.
Dr. Jacob received her B.S. in biology from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and her medical doctorate from Albany Medical College. She completed her internal medicine training at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. She subsequently finished her gastroenterology training at Columbia Presbyterian, College of Physicians and Surgeons. She did further sub-specialty training with an advanced fellowship specifically in inflammatory bowel diseases under the tutelage of Dr. Ellen Scherl, Director of the Jill Roberts Center for Inflammatory Bowel Diseases.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- * GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Verma H, Scherl E, Jacob V, Bosworth B. ANA Positivity and the Use of Certolizumab in Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients who have had Arthalgias or Lupus Like Reactions from infliximab or adalimumab. Journal of Digestive Diseases 2011 12(5); 379-83 PMID 21955431
Honors and Awards
October 2013: Presidential Poster Recipient at the American College of Gastroenterology 2013 Annual Meeting for abstract “Impact of Breathing and Education Programs on Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) Quality of Life (QOL) and Inflammatory Biomarkers” Jacob V, Scherl E, Bosworth B, Stevens L, Brown R, DeFilippis E, Warren R, Harbus M.
- Inflammatory Bowel Diseases (IBD)
- Ulcerative Colitis
- Crohn's Disease
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Internal Medicine
- M.D., Albany Medical College-Union University, NY, 2001