Vivien L. Yap, M.D.
It is my privilege to care for the most vulnerable of babies and their families. I am committed to providing the best care for the sick newborn so they have the best chance in life. I have a special interest in the developing newborn brain and in learning what we can do to promote their best outcome, especially when the brain is injured. I also enjoy seeing the babies and their families as they grow in our follow-up clinic for high-risk newborns
Dr. Yap completed her undergraduate and graduate degrees at the University of the Philippines (B.S. in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology and Doctor of Medicine). She went on to complete her Pediatrics residency at the Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA and a Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Fellowship at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Following her fellowship, she worked at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences and the Arkansas Children’s Hospital as an Assistant Professor and attending neonatologist before returning to New York City.
She is board-certified in both Pediatrics and Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine. Her primary clinical and research interests are in the brain injury of the newborn. In addition to her clinical responsibilities, Dr. Yap is the Fellowship Director for the Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine Fellowship at NYP-Weill Cornell.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Mulkey SB, Yap VL, Swearingen CJ, Riggins MS, Kaiser JR, Schaefer GB. Quantitative Cranial Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Neonatal Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy. Pediatric Neurology 2012; 47:101-108.
- Mulkey SB, Yap VL, Kaiser JR. Strength in Numbers: Over 100 Cooled at Arkansas Children’s Hospital. The Journal of the Arkansas Medical Society. 2012;108(8):168-169.
- Mulkey SB, Fontenot EE, Imamura M, Yap VL. Therapeutic Hypothermia in a Neonate with Perinatal Asphyxia and Transposition of the Great Arteries. Therapeutic Hypothermia and Temperature Management 2011; 1(4):205-208.
- Takenouchi T, Rubens EO, Yap VL, Ross G, Engel M, Perlman JM. Delayed Onset of Sleep-Wake Cycling with Favorable Outcome in Hypothermic-Treated Neonates with Encephalopathy. Journal of Pediatrics 2011;159(2):232-7.
- Yap V. ANGELS Neonatal Guidelines: Apnea of Prematurity. ANGELS, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. 2012.
- Yap V, Perlman JM. Chapter 28, Respiratory Conditions and Brain Injury. Assisted Ventilation of the Neonate, 5th Edition. Goldsmith, JP and Karotkin EH, eds. 2010.
- Takenouchi T, Yap V, Engel M, Perlman J. Stimulus-induced Seizure in Sick Neonates – Novel Observations with Potential Clinical Implications. Epilepsia 2010;51(2):308-11.
- Yap V, Engel M, Takenouchi T, Perlman JM. Seizures are Common in Term Infants Undergoing Head Cooling. Pediatric Neurology 2009;41(5):327-331.
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Newborn Medicine
- Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- B.S., University of the Philippines (Philippines), 1997
- M.D., University of the Philippines, College of Medicine (Philippines), 2002