Sujit Sheth, M.D.
Voted one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors, 2014
Dr. Sujit Sheth is the Director of the Division of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Associate Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is board-certified in pediatrics and pediatric hematology/oncology, and is an expert in iron metabolism, thalassemia, and sickle cell disease.
Dr. Sheth completed his medical training at the University of Bombay, receiving his medical degree (MBBS) in 1988 and completing his resident specialty training in Pediatrics (MD) in 1991. A year later, he entered Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons as a Post-Doctoral Fellow in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, completing his fellowship in 1995 and his obligatory additional year of residency in Pediatrics in 1996. Following his residency, Dr. Sheth joined the Columbia University faculty where he was named Assistant Professor of Pediatrics. He assumed responsibility as Clinical Director of the Pediatric Hematology program, and was promoted to Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics in 2004.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Sheth is recognized for his dedication to medical education. At NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, he was voted Attending of the Year by the Pediatric Housestaff in 2010 and nominated for Teacher of the Year eight times, receiving the honor in 1999. He has served on resident selection and education committees, as well as on the Scientific Advisory Board, Irving Center for Clinical Research at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Sheth has also established himself as a physician-scientist with a focus on clinical research related to disorders of iron overload. He has completed work as Principle Investigator on one NIH grant, "Mentored Patient-Oriented Hematology Research Training," and as co-investigator on several other NIH funded studies, and is currently co-investigator on three ongoing NIH studies investigating various aspects of iron metabolism.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan [Medicare]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Affinity Health Plan [Medicaid]
- Affinity Health Plan [HMO]
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health First [HMO]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [HMO]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Republic
- Local 1199 [Union]
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Neighborhood Health Providers [Medicaid]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care [Columbia POS]
- United Health Care
Peer Reviewed Articles
- Kim D, Jensen JH, Wu EX, Feng L, Au W-Y, Cheung JS, Ha S-Y, Sheth SS, Brittenham GM. Rapid monitoring of iron-chelating therapy in thalassemia major by a new cardiovascular magnetic resonance measure: the reduced transverse relaxation rate. NMR in Biomedicine. In press, 2010.
- Wu EX, Kim D, Tosti CL, Tang, H, Jensen JH, Cheung JS, Feng L, Au W-Y, Ha S-Y, Sheth SS, Brown TR, Brittenham GM. Magnetic resonance assessment of iron overload by separate measurement of tissue ferritin and hemosiderin iron. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 2010; 1202:115-22.
- Hod EA, Zhang N, Sokol SA, Wojczyk BS, Francis RO, Ansaldi D, Francis KP, Della-Latta P, Whittier S, Sheth S, Hendrickson JE, Zimring JC, Brittenham GM, Spitalnik SL. Transfusion of red blood cells after prolonged storage produces harmful effects that are mediated by iron and inflammation. Blood. 2010 May 27;115(21):4284-92.
- Jensen JH, Tang H, Tosti CL, Swaminathan SV, Nunez A, Hultman K, Szulc KU, Wu, EX, Kim D, Sheth S, Brown T, Brittenham GM. Separate MRI Quantification of Dispersed (Ferritin-like) and Aggregated (Hemosiderin-like) Storage Iron.Mag Res in Med, 2010 May;63(5):1201-9.
- Kim D, Jensen JH, Wu EX, Sheth SS, Brittenham GM. Breathhold Multiecho Fast Spin-Echo Pulse Sequence for Accurate R2 Measurement in the Heart and Liver. Mag Res in Med, 2009 62:300-306.
- Farrell DE, Allen CJ, Whilden MW, Tripp JH, Usoskin A, Sheth SS, Brittenham GM. Magnetic measurement of liver iron stores: engineering aspects of a new scanning susceptometer based on high temperature superconductivity. IEEE Trans Magnetics 2007; 43:4030 - 4036.
- Farrell DE, Allen CJ, Whilden MW, Kidane TK, Baig TN, Tripp JH, Brown RM, Sheth SS and Brittenham GM. A New Instrument Designed to Measure the Magnetic Susceptibility of Human Liver Tissue In Vivo. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 2007;43:3543-3554.
- Sheth S, Tang H, Jensen JH, Altmann K, Prakash A, Printz BF, Hordof AJ, Tosti CL, Azabagic A, Swaminathan S, Brown TR, Olivieri NF, Brittenham GM. Methods for noninvasive measurement of tissue iron in Cooley's anemia. Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. 2005; 1054: 358–372.
- Sheth S, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Piomelli S and Berdon WE. CT Imaging of Splenic Sequestration in Sickle Cell Disease. Ped Radiol 30: 830-833, 2000.
- Tancabelic J, Sheth SS, Paik M, and Piomelli S. Serum Transferrin Receptor as a Marker of Erythropoiesis Suppression in Patients on Chronic Transfusion. J Hematology, 60: 121-125, 1999.
- Sheth SS, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Hurlet-Jensen A, Piomelli S, and Berdon WE Pulmonary Embolism Developing in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease on Hypertransfusion and IV Deferoxamine Chelation Therapy Ped Radiol 27: 926-928, 1997
- Emy PY, Levin TL, Sheth SS, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Garvin J and Berdon WE. Iron Overload in Reticuloendothelial Systems of Pediatric Oncology Patients who have undergone Transfusions: MR Observations. Am J Radiology, 168: 1011-1015, 1997.
- Levin TL, Sheth SS, Hurlet A, Comerci SC, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Piomelli S, Berdon WE MR Marrow Signs of Iron Overload in Transfusion-Dependent Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. Pediatric Radiology, 25: 614-619, 1995.
- Levin TL, Sheth SS, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Piomelli S, Abramson S, Berdon WE MRI Marrow Observations in Thalassemia: the Effects of the Primary Disease, Transfusional Therapy, and Chelation. Pediatric Radiology, 25: 607-613, 1995.
- Levin TL, Sheth SS, Berdon WE, Ruzal-Shapiro C, Piomelli S Deferoxamine-induced Platysplondyly in Hypertransfused Thalassemic Patients. Pediatric Radiology, 25 : S122-S124, 1995.
- Sheth SS, Piomelli S, Wang X Haplotypes of the Human b-like Globin Gene Cluster: Analyzing the 3' HpaI Polymorphic Site by Long Distance PCR. Am J Hematology, 50: 57-59, 1995.
- Jain MK, Shah A, Rao SR, Sheth SS Cerebrospinal Dehydrogenases in Central Nervous System Infections. I Pediatrics, 28: 369-374, 1991.
- Huh W, Gill J, Sheth S and Buchanan G. Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with Diamond-Blackfan Anemia receiving high dose corticosteroids. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 24 (5): 410-412, 2002.
- Sheth S, DiMichele D, Lee M, Lamour J, Quaegebeur J, Hsu D, Addonizio L and Piomelli S. Heart transplant in a factor VIII deficient patient with high titre inhibitor – perioperative management using high dose continuous infusion factor VIII, and recombinant factor VIIa. Haemophilia. 7: 227-232, 2001.
- Sheth SS, Gharpure V, Nair K, Nadkarni UB, Deshmukh CT, Desai AP, Jain MK, Shah MD Fatal Rabies Encephalomyelitis Despite Chick Embryo Vaccine Prophylaxis. I Pediatrics, 29: 766-769, 1992
- Karande SC, Lahiri K, Sheth SS, Nadkarni UB, Jain MK, Shah MD Acanthamoeba Meningoencephalitis Complicating Pyogenic Meningitis. I Pediatrics, 28: 794-797, 1991.
- Karande SC, Sheth SS, Dalvi BV, Lahiri K, Shah MD Congenital Intermittent Atrio-Ventricular Dissociation in Tetralogy of Fallot. J Postgraduate Medicine, 37: 59-61, 1991.
- Karande SC, Sheth SS, Lahiri K, Shah MD Co-existent Hydatid Cyst and Pulmonary Tuberculosis in a 5 year old girl. J Assoc Physicians India (JAPI), Letter, 39: 353-354, 1991.
- Sheth SS, Karande SC, Nadkarni UB, Lahiri K, Jain MK, Shah MD Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia - Mixed Type. I Pediatrics (Letter), 28: 303-304, 1991.
Reviews, Chapters, Editorials
- Sheth S. Transfusional Iron Overload. Rossi's Principles of Transfusion Medicine 4th Edition. Wiley Blackwell 2008
- Vlachos A, Ball S, Dahl N, Alter BP, Sheth S, Ramenghi U, Meerpohl J, et al; on behalf of the participants of the Sixth Annual Daniella Maria Arturi International Consensus Conference. Diagnosing and treating Diamond Blackfan anaemia: results of an international clinical consensus conference. Br J Haematol. 2008,142(6):859-76.
- Sheth S. Hematology Fetal and Neonatal Secrets. Second edition. Editors R A Polin and A R Spitzer. Mosby Elsevier. 2006.
- Sheth S. SQUID biosusceptometry in the measurement of hepatic iron Pediatric Radiology, 33: 373-377, 2003. Brittenham GM, Sheth S, Allen CJ, Farrell DE. Noninvasive methods for quantitative assessment of transfusional iron overload. Semin Hematol; 37 (supp): 37-56, 2001.
- Sheth S, Brittenham GM. Genetic disorders affecting proteins of iron metabolism: Clinical implications. Annu Rev Med, 51: 443-464, 2000.
- Sheth SS, Karande SC, Lahiri K, Jain MK, Shah MD Two Pediatric Strokes with Abnormal Lipid Profiles. Symposium on Pediatric Metabolic Disorders, Indian Ac of Pediatrics, Bombay, 1990.
- Sheth SS, Karande SC, Lahiri K, Jain MK, Shah MD Hyperlipidemia with Infantile Hemiplegia. I Pediatrics, 27: 1111-1114, 1990.
Honors and Awards
- 2014, Voted one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors
- 2010, Voted Attending of the Year by the Pediatric Housestaff at Children's Hospital of New York
- 1999, Voted Teacher of the Year by the Pediatric Housestaff at Children's Hospital of New York (Nominated in 1997, 98, 99, 2001, 02, 03, 04, 07)
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- Anemia, Iron Deficiency
- Sickle Cell Anemia
Contact and Practices
- Pediatric Hematology-Oncology
- M.B.,B.S., University of Bombay, Seth G.S. Medical College (India), 1988
- M.D., University of Bombay (India), 1991
- M.Sc., Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, 2002