Steven D. Spandorfer, M.D.
"At CRM, we spend the time necessary with each patient to create an individualized course of treatment. This attention to the individual is a central reason for our outstanding success rates, and an important advantage for our patients."
Dr. Steven D. Spandorfer is an Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine at the Ronald O. Perelman and Claudia Cohen Center for Reproductive Medicine (CRM) at Weill Cornell Medical College. A renowned reproductive medicine specialist, he is board certified in both Obstetrics and Gynecology and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.
Dr. Spandorfer earned his undergraduate degree from Emory University in 1984 and his M.D. in 1988, graduating as a member of Phi Beta Kappa and medical honor society Alpha Omega Alpha. He completed his internship at the Portsmouth Naval Academy in Virginia, and his residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of Pennsylvania. After completing his fellowship training in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at CRM, he joined the Center's faculty in 1998. He is a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and a member of the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, The Endocrine Society and The Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology.
Dr. Spandorfer offers comprehensive treatment of all reproductive disorders. In addition to his expertise in in vitro fertilization, ovulation induction and other advanced assisted reproductive technologies, he is a skilled laparoscopic and hysteroscopic surgeon.
Dr. Spandorfer is the Clinical Coordinator of the Autologous Endometrial Coculture Program at CRM. He has published groundbreaking research demonstrating that the use of endometrial coculture aids embryo maturation and improves the IVF success rates of patients with poor embryo quality or previous, failed IVF cycles.
He has presented more than 100 abstracts at national and international medical meetings on a range of research topics in reproductive medicine and infertility. He has also authored many articles on important topics in patient care and research for leading medical publications, including groundbreaking articles demonstrating that the use of endometrial coculture aids embryo maturation and improves the IVF success rates of patients with poor embryo quality or previous, failed IVF cycles. His current research interests include autologous endometrial coculture, embryo implantation, multiple failed IVF cycles and uterine and endometrial development.
Dr. Spandorfer sees patients in CRM's Manhattan office. Please call (646) 962-3638 for more information or to schedule an appointment.
You may also visit http://www.ivf.org, CRM's patient resource website, for more information.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care
1. "Factors associated with compliance with follow-up in patients treated for outpatient pelvic inflammatory disease." S. Spandorfer, S. Sawin, I. Reyes, S. Abbuhl, S. Sondheimer. J Clin Pract Sexuality. 1995 ;10(5-6):55-58.
2. "Persistant ectopic pregnancy." S. Spandorfer, Resident and staff physician. 1996; Februrary:23-26.
3. "Hyperechoic bowel in the second trimester:indications and work-up." S. Spandorfer N. Rose. Genetics and Teratol. 1996; January.
4. "Pregnancy outcome in active duty sea-going women." S. Spandorfer, E. Graham, I. Forouzan. Mil Med. 1996, 161(4):214-6.
5. "Diagnostic accuracy of frozen section for the identification of products of conception on uterine curettage for the evaluation of ectopic pregnancy." S. Spandorfer, A. Menzin, K Barnhart, S. Pfeifer. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175:603-5.
6. "Endometrial stripe thickness as a predictor of ectopic pregnancy." S. Spandorfer, K Bernhart. Fertil Steril 1996; 66:474-7.
7. "Cigarette smoking: its effects on the perimenopausal women." S. Spandorfer. Primary Care Update for Obstetrics and Gynecologists. 1996; 3(6):212.
8. "Predictive factors of a positive blood culture in women postcesarean with endometritis." S. Spandorfer, E. Graham, I. Forouzan. J Rep Med. 1996; 41:797-800.
9. "Cigarette smoking and the Estrogen-related deseases of the menopausal women." S. Spandorfer. Postgrad Obstet Gynecol 1997; 17(5):1-5.
10. "Medical treatment of interstitial ectopic pregnancy" K. Barnhart, S. Spandorfer, C. Coutifaris. J Rep Med 1997;42:521-4.
11. "System and cervical immunity to the 10kD heat shock protein (hsp10) of chlamydia trachomatis in women undergoing in vitro fertilization." Neuer A, Spandorfer S, Laverda D, Byrne GI, Rosenwaks Z, Witkin SS. J Reprod Immunol 1997; 34:87-8.
12. "Postoperative day 1 serum hCg level as a predictor of persistant ectopic pregnancy after conservative surgical management." S. Spandorfer, S. Sawin, I Benjamin, K Bernhart. Fertil Steril. 1997; 68:430-4.
13. "Immune sensitization to the 60kD heat shock protein and pregnancy outcome." A Neuer, S Spandorfer, P Giraldo, C Mele, HC Liu, K Marzusch, D Kneissl, SS Witkin. Infect Dis Obstet and Gynecol. 1997; 5:154-7.
14. "Endometriosis: Analysis of the 1417 consecutive cycles of IVF." S. Spandorfer, C Fierro, I Kligman, H-C Liu A Neuer, SS Witkin, Z Rosenwaks. Infect Dis Obstet and Gynecol. 1997 5:202.
15. Effect of parental age on fertilization and pregnancy characterisitics in couples treated by intracytoplasmic sperm injection. S. Spandorfer, O. Avrech, LT Colombero, GD Palermo, Z Rosenwaks. Hum Reprod 1998; 12:334-8.
16. "Diagnosis of Ectopic Pregnancy." S. Spandorfer, O. Davis, Z. Rosenwaks. Hospital Physician 1998; 34:17-29.
17. "Endometrial Stripe Thickness: Intraobserver and Interobserver variability." SD Spandorfer, F Arredondo, RL DeMOla, R Feinberg. Fertil Steril. 1998; 70:152-4.
18. "Oocyte donation: Does a previous attempt effect a subsequent attempt?" S Spandorfer, M Moomjy, I Cholst, OK Davis, Z Rosenwaks. Fertil Steril. 1998; 70;222-6.
19. "Human Preembryo development on autologus endometrial coculture versus connventional medium: A randomized trial." LI Barmat, HC Liu, SD Spandorfer, K XU, L Veeck, M Demario, Z Rosenwaks. Fertil and Steril. 1998; 80:1109-13.
20. Immunity to the 60kD heat Shock Proteins: Consequences for reproductive outcome. A Neuer,P Giraldo, SD Spandorfer, S Dietrle, Z He, L Kiesel, SS Witkin. 1998; J Brazil STD. 10(1):17-24.
21. Granulocyte Macrophage-Colony Stimulating Factor production by autologus endometrial co-culture is assiciated with outcome for IVF with a history of multiple implantation failures." SD Spandorfer, LI Barmat, H-C Liu, C Mele, L Veeck, Z Rosenwaks 1998; Amer J Reproduction Immunology 40:377-81.
22. Systematic Immunity to Chlamydia trachomatis or heat shock poteins is not associated with IVF outcome. S. Spandorfer, C Fierro, I Kligman, H-C Liu, A Neuer, SS Witkin, Z Rosenwaks. Hum Reprod 1999; 14:60-4.
23. Autologous endometrial coculture in patients with repeated failure of implantation after IVF-ET. LI Barmat, H-C Liu , SD Spandorfer, C Mele, L Veeck, Z Rosenwaks. 1999; J Assisted Reprod Genet 16(3):121-127.
24. The embryo toxicity of hydrosalpinx fluid is only apparent at high concentrations: an in vitro model the stimulates in vivo events. SD Spandorfer, LI Barmat, A Neuer, SS Witkin, H-C Liu, C Mele, Z Rosenwaks. Fertil Steril. 1999 Apr; 71(4):619-26.
25. Heat shock protein expression during gametogenesis and embryogenesis. A Neuer, SD Spandorfer, P Giraldo, J Jeremias, I Korneeva, HC Liu, Z Rosenwaks, SS Witkin. 1999; Infect Dis Obstet and Gynecol 7:10-17.
26. The effect of hydrosalpinges on IVF-ET Outcome. Barmat LI, Rauch E, Spandorfer SD, Sills ES, Liu HC, Rosenwaks Z. A J Assist Reprod Genet 1999 Aug;16(7):350-4.
27. Are cytokines and Growth factors responsible for the detrimental effects of hydrosalpingeal fluid on pregnancy rates after IVF-ET? Barmat LI, Nasatsi K, Yang X, Spandorfer SD, Koiwalik A, El-Roiey A. Fertil Steril 1999 Dec;72(6)1110-2.
28. Interleukin-1 levels in the supernatant of conditioned media of embryos grown in autologous endometrial coculture: Correlation with embryonic development and outcome for patients with a history of multiple implantation failures after IVF. S. Spandorfer, R Clarke, L Bovis, H-C Liu, A Neuer, SS Witkin, Z Rosenwaks. Amer J Reproductive Immunology. 2000 Jan:43(1):6-11.
29. The role of heat shock proteins in reproduction. A Neuer, SD Spandorfer, P Giraldo, S Dieterle, Z Rosenwaks, SS Witkin. Human Reproduction Update 2000, Vol6, No. 2, pp 149-59.
30. An Analysis of the Effect of Age on Implantation Rates. Spandorfer SD, Liu HC, Rosenwaks Z. Journal Assisted reproduction and genetics 2000; 17(6):34.
31. Relationship of abnormal vaginal flora, proinflammatory cytokines and idiopathic infertility in women undergoing IVF. Spandorfer SD, Neuer A, Giraldo PC, Rosenwaks Z, Witkin SS J Reprod Med 2001 Sep;46(9):806-10
32. "Co-Flare" Stimulation in the Poor Responder Patient; Predictive Value of the Flare Response. Spandorfer SD, Navarro J, Kumpo L, Liu HC, Neuer A, Giraldo PC, Davis OK, Rosenwaks Z. Journal assisted Reproduction and genetics 2001; 18(6):607.
33. Autologous endometrial coculture in patients with poor quality embryos. Spandorfer SD, Navarro J, Liu HC, Veeck L, Davis OK, Rosenwaks Z. Journal Assisted reproduction and genetics. Accepted for publication.
34. Autologous Endometrial Coculture in the Patient with Multiple Implantation Failures: The Importance of the Date of the Biopsy. Spandorfer SD, Navarro J, Liu HC, Veeck L, Davis OK, Rosenwaks Z. Fertility and Sterility. Accepted for publication.
Honors and Awards
February 1995 - ACOG/Zeneca Resident Writing ContestAward Winner"Factors associated with compliance with follow-up in patients treated for outpatient pelvic inflammatory disease." Presented at the1995 ACOG Annual Clinical Meeting in San Francisco, CA
Presented at the April 1995 meeting - Philadelphia Area Reproductive Endocrine Society (P.A.R.E.S.) Research Paper Contest "The Utility of the Endometrial Stripe Thickness as a Predictor of Outcome in Very Early Pregnancies." First Prize
June 1995 - Phillip Williams Award Prize paper"Characteristics of Persistent Ectopic Pregnancy." District III, ACOG
April 1996 - S. Leon Israel Award Prize Paper Philadelphia Obstetrical Society "Postoperative serum hCG levels in patients with persistive ectopic pregnancy after conservative surgical management."
April 1996 - Resident Bowl CompetitionFirst Place Delaware Valley Philadelphia Obstetrical Society
May 1996 - Primary Car in OB/GYN Writing Contest Honorable Mention "Cigarette smoking: its effect on the perimenopausal women."
March 1997 - NY Obstetrical Society Research Award, Fellows "Impact of Maternal Age on Outcome after demonstrating a Fetal Heart in IVF pregnancies."
April 1997, ACOG Annual Meeting - ACOG Grant Competition Winner "Immune sensitization to conserved epitopes expressed in human and Chlamydia Trachomatis heat shock proteins and adverse pregnancy outcomes: Correlation with the presence of Bacterial Vaginosis."
June 1998 - Infectious Disease Society of Obstentrics and Gynecology Grant Competition Winner "Humoral and cell-mediated immunity to the 60kD heat shock proteins of Chlamydia Trachomatis, E Coli, and man and woman undergoing in-vitro fertilization: Relation to tubal infertility and pregnancy outcome."
2001 - National Faculty Award, Council of Resident Education in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Gynecologic Endocrinology
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)
- Minimally Invasive Gynecologic Surgery
- Reproductive Medicine
- Minimally Invasive Gyn Surgery
- Reproductive Health
- Abnormal Uterine and Vaginal Bleeding
- Advanced Gynecologic Surgery
- Artificial Insemination
- Assisted Reproduction
- Assisted Reproductive Techniques
- Complex Gynecologic Surgery
- Female Pelvic Surgery
- Fibroid Surgery
- Fibroid Tumor
- Gynecological Laparoscopic Surgery
- Hysterectomy Surgery
- Hysteroscopic Procedures
- Hysteroscopic-Advanced Surgery
- Female Infertility
- Infertility Procedures
- Infertility Surgery
- Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
- Male Infertility
- Microsurgical Tubal Surgery
- Ovarian Cyst
- Ovulation Induction
- Pelvic Pain In Female
- Polycystic Ovary
- Reproductive Surgery
- Tubal Anastomosis
- Tubal Ligation
- Tubal Ligation Reversals
- Tubal Surgery
- Uterine Ablations
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Reproductive Endocrinology/Infertility
- M.D., Emory University School of Medicine, 1988