Susan L. Lucak, M.D.
Susan Lucak, MD is an Affiliate Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at the Joan Samford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University and an Attending Physician in the New York-Presbyterian Hospital Cornell Campus. Dr. Lucak is board certified in internal medicine and gastroenterology.
Dr. Lucak has focused her practice on functional gastrointestinal disorders including irritable bowel syndrome, chronic abdominal pain, persistent diarrhea, chronic constipation, and bloating among others. She is particularly interested in the treatment of these disorders and has worked with pharmaceutical companies to educate doctors and health care providers about novel treatments for these medical conditions. She has lectured widely in the United States.
Dr. Lucak is also involved in improving colon cancer screening rates and is part of the New York Citywide Colon Cancer Control Coalition (C5) which is a partnership between the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, the NYC Health and Hospital Corporation, the Greater NY Hospital Association, the American Cancer Society, local physicians, patients and community groups.
In the past, Dr. Lucak’s research efforts centered on evaluating the clinical efficacy and safety of IBS treatments and on various clinical aspects of functional gastrointestinal disorders. She was a faculty member at Columbia University Medical Center for 24 years. Since 2010, she has been in private practice on the upper east side of Manhattan and in May 2014, Dr. Lucak joined Weill Cornell Medical College.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Health Care
Lucak S. Irritable bowel syndrome and ischemic colitis: evidence supporting the increased use of alosetron. Editorial. Ther Adv Gastroenterol 2012 July; 5(4):215-218. Doi: 10.1177/1756283X12450934
Lucak S. Optimizinf Outcomes with Alosetron Hydrochloride in Severe IBS-D. Ther Adv Gastroenterol. Accepted for publication 12/29/2009.
Spiegel B, Bolus R, Harris L, Lucak S, Naliboff B, Esrailian E, Chey WD, Lembo A, Karsan H, Tillisch K, Talley J, Mayer E, Chang L. Characterizing Pain Attributes in IBS: Guidance for the study inclusion criteria and outcome measurement. Alimnet Pharmacol Ther 2009 Dec 1;30(11-12):1159-70. Epub 2009 Sep 12.
Johanson JF and Lucak S. Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation in Adult Women. Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News, May 2009, Volume 60, Number 5, Special Report 1-7.
Lucak S. What do therapists need to know about IBS. BNH Journal. April 2009. Online.
Lucak S. Brain-Body Interactions: Functional Somatic Syndromes. Eur Androl Suppl 2008; 2(1):35.
Lucak S. IBS: Psychiatric Factors and Therapies. Psychiatric Times, July 2005, vol XXII (8):68-73.
Lucak SL. Diagnosing IBS: What’s Too Much, What’s Enough? MedGenMed 2004 Mar 12;6(1), 17
Lucak S, Heitkemper MM. The Experts Discuss Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Interview by Jodi Godfrey Meisler. J Women’s Health Gend Based Med. 2001 Apr;10(3): 223-8.
Honors and Awards
Dr. Lucak is the recipient of numerous honors and awards, some of which include:
- 1981: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Alpha Omega Alpha
- 1981: Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Edward Weinstein Award for Excellence in Internal Medicine (given annually to two members of the graduating class
- 2009 -2014: Listed as one of the New York Super Doctors in the New York Times Magazine
- 2010 – 2013: Castle Conolly Top Doctor in NY Metro Area
- Nausea & Vomiting
- Fecal Incontinence
- Fecal Urgency
- Screening For Rectal Cancer
- Colonoscopy, Screening
- Colon Cancer Screening
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Non-Cardiac Chest Pain
- Abdominal Bloating
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Chronic Idiopathic Constipation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Internal Medicine
- B.A., Barnard College - Columbia University, 1977
- M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, 1981