Reem Z. Sharaiha, M.D., MSc
Dr. Reem Sharaiha is an Assistant Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/ Weill Cornell Medical Center and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University. She is board certified in gastroenterology, internal medicine (in both the United States and UK) and is also an advanced fellowship trained interventional gastroenterologist.
Dr. Sharaiha received her medical degree from the University of London. She completed her Internal Medicine residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus and her fellowship in Gastroenterology at New York Presbyterian Hospital-Columbia Campus, where she also received a masters in patient oriented research. She also completed her Advanced Endoscopy Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University Hospital.
Dr. Sharaiha is dedicated to putting her patients first. She has a special interest in diseases of the pancreas and biliary tract, including pancreatitis, sphincter of oddi dysfunction and pancreatic cancer. She sees patients for advanced endoscopic procedures, staging of GI cancers, and treatment or removal of early cancer lesions.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [PPO]
- GHI [CBP]
- GHI [Premier]
- GHI [Bridge Plan]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
Reviews, Chapters and Editorials
2009 Sharaiha RZ, Swaminath. A Review of Delayed-Release MMX Mesalamine: It’sUse in the Treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. Clinical Medicine: Therapeutics 2009:1; 45-51
2010 Sharaiha RZ, Wu, Swaminath. An Unusual Case of Diarrhea. GastrointestEndosc. 2010 Aug;72(2):436-7; discussion 436-7
2011 Julian A. Abrams, RZ. Sharaiha, L. Gonsalves, CJ. Lightdale, AI. Neugut Dating the Rise of Esophageal Adenocarcinoma: Analysis of Connecticut TumorRegistry Data, 1940-2007 Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. Jan;20(1):183-6
2011 Reem Z. Sharaiha, Karim J. Halazun, Farooq Mirza, Jeffrey L. Port, Paul C. Lee, Alfred I. Neugut, Nasser K. Altorki, Julian A. Abrams
Elevated Preoperative Neutrophil:Lymphocyte Ratio as a Predictor of Post- Operative Disease Recurrence in Esophageal Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011
2012 Sharaiha RZ, Lebwohl B, Reimers L, Baghat G, Green PH, Neugut AI.Increasing Incidence of Enteropathy-associated T Cell lymphoma in the United States (1973-2008). Cancer. 2011 Dec 13. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26700.
2012 Sharaiha, Reem Z.;Kalloo A, Khashab Mouen A. EUS-guided hepatoesophagostomy for transesophageal biliary drainage (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Jul;76(1):227-8.
2012 Khashab MA, Kim KJ, Tryggestad EJ, Wild AT, Roland T, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Shin EJ, Ziegler MA, Sharaiha RZ, Canto MI, Herman JM Comparative analysis of traditional and coiled fiducials implanted during EUS for pancreatic cancer patients receiving stereotactic body radiation therapy. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Nov;76(5):962-71. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2012.07.006.
2013 Khashab MA, Sharaiha RZ, Saxena P, Law JK, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Shin EJ, Canto MI, Aguila G, Okolo PI 3rd, Stavropoulos SN, Inoue H, Pasricha PJ, Kalloo AN. Novel technique of auto-tunneling during peroral endoscopic myotomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2013 Jan;77(1):119-22. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2012.09.011.
2013 Khashab M, Alawad AS, Shin EJ, Kim K, Bourdel N, Singh VK, Lennon AM, Hutfless S, Sharaiha RZ, Amateau S, Okolo PI, Makary MA, Wolfgang C, Canto MI, Kalloo AN. Enteral stenting versus gastrojejunostomy for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction. Surg Endosc. 2013 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
2013 Khashab MA, Saxena P, Sharaiha RZ, Chavez YH, Zhang F, Kord A, Aguila G, Canto MI, Pasricha PJ, Kalloo AN. A novel submucosal gel permits simple and efficient gastric endoscopic submucosal dissection. Gastroenterology. 2013 Jan 10. doi:pii: S0016-5085(13)00011-5. 10.1053/j.gastro.2013.01.005. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
Honors and Awards
1997 Overall Academic Achievement Award, University of Londong
2003 Graduated with distinction from Unviersity of London
2008 Housestaff Teaching Award, New York Presbyterian Hospital-Cornell Campus
- Gallstone Pancreatitis
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) of Barrett's Esophagus
- Radiation Proctitis
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Pancreas With Biopsy of Pancreatic Lesion
- Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Transmural Fine Needle Aspiration of Esophagus
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Pancreas
- Endoscopic Ultrasound of Esophagus
- Diagnostic Endoscopic Ultrasound Examination of Peritoneum and Biopsy of Intraabdominal Organ
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography)
- ERCP With Balloon Dilation of Ampulla, Biliary, and Pancreatic Duct
- ERCP With Stent Insertion into Bile Duct
- Therapeutic Biliary and Pancreatic Endoscopy
- Pancreatic Disease
- Pancreas Cyst
- Stricture and Stenosis of Esophagus
- XR Fluoro Guided Endoscopic Insertion of Esophageal Stent
- Colon Cancer Screening and Prevention
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Barrett's Esophagus
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- B.Sc., University of London (United Kingdom), 2001
- M.D., University of London (United Kingdom), 2003
- M.Sc., Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, 2011