Richard L. Levy, M.D.
Dr. Levy is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology and the Director of the Pediatric Ophthalmology service at Weill Cornell Medical College and a member of the Weill Cornell Eye Associates.
After graduating from Harvard College and Harvard Medical School, he completed his ophthalmology residency at the Manhattan Eye, Ear & Throat Hospital and New York University. He completed fellowships in neuro-ophthalmology, at the Wilmer Eye Institute at Johns Hopkins Hospital, and then pediatric ophthalmology, at Children's Hospital Boston.
Before returning to New York, he was a Clinical Instructor of Pediatric Ophthalmology at Harvard Medical School and on the staff at Children's Hospital Boston, where he was also the director of residency training for the ophthalmology department.
Dr. Levy sees children of all ages and adults with strabismus.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- * GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- * Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
1. Schwartz PM, Borghesani PR, Levy RL, Pomeroy SL, Segal RA. Abnormal cerebellar development and foliation in BDNF -/- mice reveals a role for neurotrophins in CNS patterning. Neuron. 1997;19(2):267-281.
2. Schwartz PM, Levy RL, Borghesani PR, Segal RA. Cerebellar pathology in BDNF -/- mice: the classic view of neurotrophins is changing. Mol Psychiatry. 1998;3(2):116-120.
3. Levy RL, Naidu S, Jacobson L. Safety and efficacy of the technique of complete tenon's membrane excision and mitomycin C in pterygium surgery. Eye Contact Lens. 2005;31(3):105-108.
4. Levy RL, Geist CE, Miller NR. Isolated oculomotor palsy following minor head trauma. Neurology. 2005;65(1):169.
5. Levy RL, Berman D, Parikh M, Miller NR. Supramaximal doses of botulinum toxin for refractory blepharospasm. Ophthalmology. 2006;113(9):1665-8.
6. Levy, RL, Miller NR. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy for radiation-induced optic neuropathy. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 2006;35(3):151-157.
7. Levy RL, Dagi LR. Astigmatism in unilateral coronal synostosis: incidence and laterality. JAAPOS. 2007 Aug;11(4):367-72.
1. Levy RL, Azar DT, Baum T. Three-step method of analyzing decentration, treatment displacement and intraoperative drift after PRK. International Society of Refractive Surgery Abstracts. 1997.
Invited faculty member. Salzburg Weill Cornell Ophthalmology Seminar, Open Medical Institute, Austrian American Foundation, Salzburg, Austria. April 20-25, 2008.
Panelist, ChildrenÂs Tumor Foundation, Neurofibromatosis symposium, New York, NY, May 3, 2008
Honors and Awards
1. Magna Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Harvard College, 1993
2. Grunebaum Cancer Research Fellowship, Harvard Medical School, 1997-98
3. Wilmer Resident Teaching Award, Johns Hopkins Hospital, 2005
4. Von L. Meyer Fellowship Award, Children's Hospital Boston, 2005
5. Farley Fund Fellowship Award, Children's Hospital Boston, 2005
- Pediatric Ophthalmology
- Strabismus Surgery In Children and Adults
- Pediatric Strabismus
- Double Vision
- Lazy Eye
- Clinical Research
- Pediatric Cataract Surgery
Contact and Practices
- M.D., Harvard Medical School, 1998