Michael D. Lieberman, M.D.
Dr. Lieberman's research interests have been in the area of oncology. He is the author or co-author of 34 peer-reviewed publications and nine book chapters. Dr. Lieberman's productivity continues to be evident in his collaborative role as co-author on a variety of clinical and laboratory studies. He has worked with Dr. Crystal's group in the area of gene therapy and helped to develop a large clinical database in hepatobiliary and pancreatic oncology cases serving as the basis for retrospective and prospective studies. In his role as collaborating physician-scientist, he has contributed enormously to the groups thinking regarding these oncology issues.
at the National Library of Medicine.
1. Signal RK, Lieberman MD, Reynolds J, Shou, Daly JM. Helper T-cell depletion augments cytotoxicity to neuroblastoma. Surgical Forum 1989; 40:550-553
2. Lieberman MD, Shou J, Torres AS, Weintraub F, Goldfine j, Daly. Effects of nutrient substances on immune function. Nutrition 1990; 6:88-91.
3. Sigal RK, Lieberman MD, Reynolds J, Williams N, Shou J, Daly JM. Tumor immunization: improved results after vaccine modified with gamma interferon. Archives of Surgery 1990; 125:308-312.
4. Daly JM, Reynolds J, Sigal RK, Shou J, Lieberman MD. Effect of dietary protein and amino acids in the immune system. Critical Care Medicine 1990; 18:86-93.
5. Lieberman MD, Shou J, Signal RK, Yu J, Goldfine, Daly JM. Transfusion induced immunosuppression results in diminished survival in a murine neuroblastoma model. Journal of Surgical Research 1990; 48:498-503.
6. Lieberman MD, Goldfine J, Shou J, Daly JM. Protein-calorie malnutrition inhibits antitumor response to interleukin-2 immunotherapy. Surgery 1990; 108:452-459.
7. Lieberman MD, Signal RK, Birch G, Shou J, Daly JM. Nutrient substrate potentiation of interleukin-2 (IL-2) immunotherapy. Surgical Forum 1990; 41:5-7.
8. Redmond HP, Leon P, Lieberman MD, Hofmann K, Reynolds JV, Shou J, Johnson RB, Bouchier-Hayes, Daly JM. Protein-calorie malnutrition impairs macrophage response to septic challenge. Britich Journal of surgery 1990.
9. Daly JM, Hofmann K, Lieberman MD, Leon P, Redmond HP, Shou J, Torosian MH. Nutritional support in the cancer patient. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral nutrition 1990; 14(5): 244-248.
10. Signal RK, Lieberman MD, Reynolds JV, Shou J, Ziegler MM, Daly JM. Low Dose interferon renders neuroblastoma more susceptible to interleukin-2 immunotherapy. Journal of Pediatrics 1991; 26:1-5.
11. Lieberman MD, Reynolds HP, Leon P, Shou J, Daly JM. Comparison of acute and chronic protein-energy malnutrition on host antitumor immune mechanism. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 1991; 15:15-21.
12. Redmond HP, Leon P, Lieberman MD, Hofmann K, Shou J, Johnston RB, Daly JM. Impaired macrophage response to acute and chronic septic challenge in severe protein-calorie malnutrition. Archives of Surgery 1991; 126:193-197.
13. Lieberman MD, Sigal RK, Perussia B, Daly JM. Natural Killer cell stimulatory factor augments natural killer cell and antibody dependent tumoricidal response in vitro against colon cancer. Journal of Surgical Research 1991; 50:410-415.
14. Shou J, Lieberman MD, Hofmann K, Leon P, Redmond HP, Davies H, Daly JM. Dietary manipulation of methotrexate induced enterocolitis. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutririon1991; 15(3): 307-12.
15.Shou J, Redmond HP, Hofmann K, Leon P, Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Elemental Diet (ED) Alters Macrophage function in mice. Journal of Surgical Research 50(3): 192-196, 1991.
16. Lieberman MD, Shou J, Redmond HP, Daly JM: Enhancement of interleukin-2 immunotherapy with L-arginine. Annals of surgery 215:157-165, 1992.
17. Daly JM, Lieberman MD, Goldfine J, Shou J, Weintraub F, Rosato EF, Lavin P: Enteral nutrition with supplemental arginine rna, and omega-3 fatty acids in postoperative patients: immunologic, metabolic and clinical outcome. Surgery 111(7) 1992.
18. Lieberman MD, Marsan B, Franchesci D, Burt M: Esophageal Carcinoma: The unusual variants. J Thor Cardiovasc Surg 108(6): 1138-1146, 1994.
19. Lieberman MD, Anderson B, Debnath G, Finklestein S, Brennan MF, Rosen N, Paty P: P21 Ras and MAP kinase response to epidermal growth factor (EGF) stimulation in pancreatic adenocarcinoma cell lines. Surgical forum 1994; 516-8.
20. Paty PB, Lieberman MD, Debnath G, Finklestein SD, Rosen N, Cohen AM: P21Ras-GTP activation is weak in colon cancer cell lines containing aspartate-13 k-Ras mutations. Surgical forum 1994; 477-8.
21. Lieberman MD, Shiver CD, Bleckner S, Burt m, Gastric and mixed Tumor service, Thoracic Service: Carcinoma of the esophagus: prognostic significance of histology. J Thor Cardiovasc Surg 1995; 109(1): 130-138.
22. Lieberman MD, Kilburn H, Lindsey M, Brennan MF: The relation of perioperative morality to hospital volume in patients undergoing pancreatic resection for malignancy. Annals of Surgery 1995; 222(5): 638-645.
23.Mancini M, Paty PB, Hockenbery D, Lieberman MD, Anderson BO: Apoptosis is induced with differentiation and growth arrest in a human colon cancer by a BCL-2 independent mechanism. Surgical forum 1995:507-509
24. Lieberman MD, Paty P, Kui LX, Naama H, Evoy D, Daly JM: elevation of intracellular C AMP inhibits the epidermal growth factor signal transduction pathway and cell growth in pancreatic adenocarcinoma lines. Surgery 1996; 120:354.
25. Evoy D, Hirschowitz EA, Naama H, LI XK, Crystal RG, Daly JM, Lieberman MD: Adenoviral mediated gene transfer in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. J Surg Res 1997; 69(2): 1-6.
26.Talmor M, Hoffman LA, Lieberman M: Intestinal perforation after suction lipoplasty: a case report and review of the literature. Ann Plast Surg 1997; 38:169-72.
27. Crystal RG, Hirschowitz E, Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Clinical Protocol: Phase I Study of Direct Administration of a Replication Deficient Adenovirus Vector containing the E. Coli Cytosine Deaminase Gene to Metastatic Colon Carcinoma of the Liver in Association with the oral Administration of the Pro-Drug 5-flurocytosine. Human Gene therapy 1997; 8:985-1001.
28. Evoy D, Hirschowitz EA, Naama HA, Goncalves J, Crystal RG, Daly JM, Lieberman MD: Adenoviral Targeted Delivery of a suicide Gene to the liver: An Antineoplastic Strategy. Surgical Forum 1997.
29.Rivadeneira DE, EvoyD, Fahey TJ, Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Nutritional Support of the cancer patient. CA-A Cancer Journal for clinicians 1998; 48(2): 69-80.
30. Evoy D, Lieberman MD, Fahey TJ, Daly JM: Immunonutrition: the role of Arinine. Nutrition 1998; 14:611-17.
31. Harvey Ben-Gary, Hackett NR, El-Sawy T, Rosengart TK, Hirshowitz EA, Lieberman MD, Lesser ML, Crystal RG: Variability of human systemic humoral immune responses to adenovirus gene transfer vectors administered to different organs. J Virol 1999; 73:6729-42.
32. Hirschowitz EA, Naama HA, Evoy D, Lieberman MD, Daly J, Crystal RG: Regional treatment of hepatic micrometastasis by adenovirus vector-mediated delivery of interleukin-2 and interleukin-12 c DNAs to the hepatic parenchyma. Cancer Gene Ther 1999; 6:491-8.
33. Grobmyer SR, Rivadeneira DE, Goodman CA, Mackrell P, Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Pancreatic Anastomotic Failure after Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Am J surg 2000; 180:117-20.
34. Kelly BT, Kadrmas WR, Gayle L, Lieberman MD, Cordasco FA: Extensor mechanism reconstruction after wide excision of a malignant eccrine spiradenocarcinoma of the patellar tendon. The Journal of Knee Surgery 2002; 15:161-4.
1. Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Cancer and Malnutrition. In Comprehensive Textbook of Oncology. 2nd edition. Moossa AR, Robson MC, Shimpf SC (eds.) Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1684-1689, 1990.
2. Lieberman MD, Muller JL: Nutritional Assessment. In: Current Diagnosis. 8th Edition. Conn RB (ed.). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 136-142, 1991.
3. Daly JM, Redmond HP, Lieberman MD, Jardines L: Nutritional Support of patients with cancer of the Gastrointestinal Tract. In Surgical Clinics of North America. Dudrick SJ (ed.). 71(3): 523-536, 1991.
4. Lieberman MD, Freeman J: Immunobiology of Cancer. In: Essentials of Basic Science in Surgery. Savage EB, Fishman SF, Miller L (eds.). Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co., 246-252, 1993.
5. Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Tumors of the Anal region. In: Current surgical Therapy. Cameron J (ed.). Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co., 200-203, 1995.
6. Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Principles of Surgical Oncology. In: Textbook of Internal Medicine. 3rd edition. Kelley WN (ed.). Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co., 1499-1503, 1996.
7. Evoy D, Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Malignant Biliary Tract and Pancreatic Disease. In: ERCP and Its Applications. Jacobson IM (ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1998.
8. Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Nutritional Support. In: Fundamentals of Surgery. Neiderhuber (ed.). Connecticut: Appleton & Lange, 217-224, 1998.
9. Lieberman MD, Daly JM: Principles of Surgical Oncology. In: Textbook of Internal Medicine. 3rd edition. Kelley WN (ed.). Philadelphia: JB Lippincott Co., 1999 in press.