Oleh M. Akchurin, M.D.
I love taking care of children with kidney disorders because it is so rewarding to make a difference for the families who have kids with conditions that were untreatable just up until few decades ago. We still have to learn a lot about how to fight better with various kidney diseases and how to provide best possible care to our patients, which is impossible without everyone, including sick children and their families, being part of the team and contributing to our collective effort.
Dr. Akchurin graduated from medical school in Vinnica Medical University in Ukraine. After practicing pediatrics in Ukraine for 4 years, Dr. Akchurin decided to continue his carrier in the United States. He did his Pediatric Residency in Women’s and Children’s Hospital of Buffalo / State University of New York at Buffalo and his Pediatric Nephrology Fellowship at the Children’s Hospital of Montefiore / Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Main clinical interests of Dr. Akchurin include chronic kidney disease, especially in young children and infants, including issues related to growth and nutrition of this category of patients.
Dr. Akchurin’s research is related to growth, nutrition, and inflammatory and metabolic changes in children with chronic kidney disease, as well as quality assurance efforts aimed to improve medication adherence.
1. Akchurin OM, Melamed ML, Hashim BL, Kaskel FJ, Del Rio M. Medication adherence in the transition of adolescent kidney transplant recipients to the adult care. Pediatr Transplant. 2014 Aug;18(5):538-48. doi: 10.1111/petr.12289. Epub 2014 May 13. PubMed PMID: 24820521; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4106975.
2. Akchurin OM, Schneider MF, Mulqueen L, Brooks ER, Langman CB, Greenbaum LA, Furth SL, Moxey-Mims M, Warady BA, Kaskel FJ, Skversky AL. Medication Adherence and Growth in Children with CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Jun 26. pii:CJN.01150114. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24970873
3. Akchurin O, Reidy KJ. Genetic causes of proteinuria and nephrotic syndrome: Impact on podocyte pathobiology. Pediatr Nephrol Mar 2014 [Epub ahead of print]
4. Akchurin O, Kaskel F. Late steroid resistance in childhood nephrotic syndrome: do we now know more than 40 years ago? Editorial commentary. Pediatr Nephrol 28(8):1157-1160, 2013
Honors and Awards
- 2014. Alison Norris Nephrology Fellow Award of the NYAM / NY Society of Nephrology
- 2013. New York Society of Nephrology, Outstanding
Research Award during Nephrology Fellowship
- 2013, 2014. American Society of Pediatric Nephrology, presentation award at PAS meeting
- 2003. Medical School Diploma Cum Laude
- Pediatric Nephrology
- Kidney Disease
- Kidney Transplant
- High Blood Pressure
- Kidney Stones
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Urinary Problems and Treatment
- Disorder of Electrolytes