Babak Navi, M.D.
Babak Navi, MD, is a native New Yorker who received his medical degree from New York University, where he graduated with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha Society). He completed a residency in neurology at the Weill Cornell Medical Center and served as the Chief Resident in his final year. He then went on to complete a two-year fellowship in vascular neurology at the University of California, San Francisco, where he also became certified in comprehensive neurosonology. In 2011, Dr. Navi returned to New York to become an Assistant Professor of Neurology.
Dr. Navi is an expert on the relationship between stroke and cancer. He has written numerous papers and book chapters on this topic, and is the co-principal investigator of the first randomized trial to compare different blood thinners for patients with cancer and stroke. Dr. Navi also has conducted research studies on cryptogenic stroke, postpartum stroke, physician prognostication in severe brain injury, and cerebrovascular presentations of dizziness. His work has been published in high impact peer-reviewed journals, including the New England Journal of Medicine, JAMA, Neurology, Archives of Neurology, Critical Care Medicine, Stroke, and Annals of Emergency Medicine. In addition, he was awarded an NIH KL2 grant in 2012 from the Cornell CTSC, is on the editorial board of the journal Neurohospitalist, and is a Cornell site investigator for the NIH-funded POINT trial.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
Select Peer-Reviewed Publications (chronological order):
1. Navi BB, DeAngelis LM, Segal AZ. Multifocal strokes as the presentation of occult lung cancer. J Neurooncol 2007;85(3):307-309.
2. Navi BB, DeAngelis LM. Sarcoidosis presenting as brainstem ischemic stroke. Neurology 2009;72(11):1021-1022.
3. Navi BB, Kawaguchi K, Hriljac I, Lavi E, DeAngelis LM, Jamieson DG. Multifocal stroke from tumor emboli. Arch Neurol 2009:66:1174-1175.
4. Navi BB, Safdieh JE. Recurrent, alternating Tolosa-Hunt Syndrome. Neurologist 2010;16(1):54-55.
5. Navi BB, Reichman JS, Berlin D, Reiner AS, Panageas KS, Segal AZ, DeAngelis LM. Intracerebral and subarachnoid hemorrhage in patients with cancer. Neurology 2010;74:494-501.
6. Kamel H, Navi BB, Nakagawa K, Hemphill JC, Ko N. Hypertonic saline versus mannitol for the treatment of elevated intracranial pressure: A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Crit Care Med 2011;39:554-559.
7. Kamel H, Dhaliwal G, Navi BB, Pease AR, Shah M, Dhand A, Johnston SC, Josephson SA. A randomized trial of hypothesis-driven versus screening neurological examination. Neurology 2011;77:1395-1400.
8. Kamel H, Navi BB, Hemphill JC. A rule to identify patients who require magnetic resonance imaging after intracerebral hemorrhage. Neurocritical Care 2013;18:59-63.
9. Navi BB, Kamel H, Sidney S, Klingman J, Nguyen-Huynh MN, Johnston SC. Validation of the stroke prognostic instrument-II in a large, modern, community-based cohort of ischemic stroke survivors. Stroke 2011;42:3392-3396.
10. Flint AC, Kamel H, Navi BB, Rao VA, Faigeles BS, Conell C, Klingman JG, Sidney S, Hills NK, Sorel M, Johnston SC. Statin use during ischemic stroke hospitalization is strongly associated with improved post-stroke survival. Stroke 2012;43:147-154.
11. Navi BB, Kamel H, McCulloch CE, Nakagawa K, Naravetla B, Moheet AM, Wong C, Johnston SC, Hemphill JC, Smith WS. Accuracy of neurovascular fellows’ prognostication of outcome after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Stroke 2012;43:702-707.
12. Kamel H, Navi BB, Fahimi J. National trends in ambulance use by patients with stroke, 1997-2008. JAMA 2012;307:1026-1028.
13. Navi BB, Kamel H, Shah MP, Grossman AW, Wong C, Poisson SN, Whetstone WD, Josephson SA, Johnston SC, Kim AS. Application of the ABCD2 score to identify cerebrovascular causes of dizziness in the emergency department. Stroke 2012;43:1484-1489.
14. Flint AC, Kamel H, Navi BB, Rao VA, Faigeles BS, Conell C, Klingman JG, Hills NK, Nguyen-Huynh M, Cullen SP, Sidney S, Johnston SC. Inpatient statin use predicts improved stroke discharge disposition. Neurology 2012;78:1678-1683.
15. Reichman J, Singer S, Navi BB, Reiner A, Panageas K, Gutin PH, DeAngelis LM. Subdural hematoma in patients with cancer. Neurosurgery 2012;71:74-79.
16. Kamel H, Betjemann JP, Navi BB, Hegde M, Meisel K, Douglas VC, Josephson SA. Diagnostic yield of electroencephalography in the medical and surgical intensive care unit. Neurocrit care 2013;19:336-341.
17. Navi BB, Kamel H, Hemphill JC, Smith WS. Trajectory of functional recovery after hospital discharge for subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit care 2012;17:343-347.
18. Navi BB, Kamel H, Shah MP, Grossman AW, Wong C, Poisson SN, Whetstone WD, Josephson SA, Johnston SC, Kim AS. Rate and Predictors of Serious Neurological Causes of Dizziness in the Emergency Department. Mayo Clin Proc 2012;87:1080-1088.
19. Navi BB, Kamel H, Shah MP, Grossman AW, Wong C, Poisson SN, Whetstone WD, Josephson SA, Johnston SC, Kim AS. The use of neuroimaging studies and neurological consultation to evaluate dizzy patients in the emergency department. Neurohospitalist 2013;3:7-14.
20. Kamel H, Fahimi J, Govindarajan P, Navi BB. Nationwide patterns of hospitalization after transient ischemic attack. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2013;22:e142-145.
21. Kamel H, Navi BB, Elijovich L, Josephson SA, Yee AH, Fung G, Johnston SC, Smith WS. Pilot randomized trial of outpatient cardiac monitoring after cryptogenic stroke. Stroke 2013;44:528-530.
22. Guterman EL, Kamel H, Azran C, Shah MP, Hemphill JC, Smith WS, Navi BB. Time from onset of SIRS to antibiotic administration and outcomes after subarachnoid hemorrhage. Neurocrit care 2014;21:85-90.
23. Fahimi J, Navi BB, Kamel H. Potential misdiagnosis of Bell's palsy in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med 2014;63:428-434.
24. Mangla A, Navi BB, Layton K, Kamel H. Transient global amnesia and the risk of ischemic stroke. Stroke 2014;45:389-393.
25. Kuceyeski A, Kamel H, Navi BB, Raj A, Iadecola C. Predicting future brain tissue loss from white matter connectivity disruption in ischemic stroke. Stroke 2014;45:717-722.
26. Kamel H, Navi BB, Sriram N, Hovsepian DA, Devereux RB, Elkind MS. Risk of a thrombotic event after the 6-week postpartum period. N Engl J Med 2014;370:1307-1315.
27. Navi BB, Singer S, Merkler AE, Cheng NT, Stone JB, Kamel H, Iadecola C, Elkind MSV, DeAngelis LM. Recurrent thromboembolic events after ischemic stroke in patients with cancer. Neurology 2014;83:26-33.
28. Hovsepian DA, Srirar N, Kamel H, Fink ME, Navi BB. Acute cerebrovascular disease occurring after hospital discharge for labor and delivery. Stroke 2014;45:1947-1950.
29. Navi BB, Singer S, Merkler AE, Cheng NT, Stone JB, Kamel H, Iadecola C, Elkind MSV, DeAngelis LM. Cryptogenic subtype predicts reduced survival among cancer patients with ischemic stroke. Stroke 2014;45:2292-2297.
Honors and Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha Society, NYU School of Medicine, 2004
NYU School of Medicine Excellence in Neurology Award, 2005
Distinguished Housestaff Award, Weill Cornell Medical College, 2008
Cornell Neurology Residents' Housestaff Teaching Award, 2009
International Stroke Conference Chair's Choice Oral Abstract, 2010
Certified by the American Society of Neuroimaging in Comprehensive Neurosonology, 2010
AHA Best of Specialty Conferences Abstract, 2010, 2011
NIH KL2 grant through the Weill Cornell CTSC, 2012-2014
Weill Cornell CTSC Research Scholar Honors Program, 2013
Cornell Neurology Residents' Faculty Teaching Award, 2013
Florence Gould Endowment for Discovery in Stroke, 2014
- CNS Vasculitis
- Cerebral Vascular Malformation
- Cryptogenic Stroke
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage
Contact and Practices
- Vascular Neurology
- B.A., Emory University, 2001
- M.D., New York University School of Medicine, 2005