Marc Schiffman, M.D.
I consider it a privilege to take care of people and take great pride in providing patients with minimally invasive surgical options with equivalent results and faster recoveries. I strive to make individual plans of care for each patient, aiming for the best and safest results. "What would you do if this were your relative," is an easy question that frequently arises, and my goal is to always practice medicine with that guiding principle.
Dr. Marc H. Schiffman is Assistant Professor of Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Radiologist at New York-Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Campus. He is a member of the Division of Interventional Radiology and performs a wide array of interventional radiology procedures.
Dr. Schiffman earned his B.S. degree from Cornell University, Ithaca, NY in 1997. He was awarded his M.D. degree, in 2003 from the State University of New York (SUNY) Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse, NY. He received a commendation for top clinical performance and was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society.
After a year (2003-2004) as an intern New York Hospital-Queens in Flushing, NY, Dr. Schiffman completed his radiology residency training (2004-2008) in Diagnostic Radiology at the Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York, NY. This was followed by a Fellowship in Interventional Radiology, also at Mount Sinai, from 2008 to 2009.
Dr. Schiffman achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology from the American Board of Radiology in 2008. Dr. Schiffman was then recruited to the full-time faculty at Weill Cornell Medical College-NYPH in July 2009. He has performed the first adrenal radiofrequency ablation, liver microwave ablation, balloon retrograde transvenous variceal obliteration, and laparoscopic renal cancer cryosurgery at New York Hospital. Dr. Schiffman has been invited to speak about renal cancer cryosurgery, uterine fibroid and varicocele embolization at National and International medical conferences. He is currently the Director of Minimally Invasive Fibroid Interventions at Weill Cornell Medical Center and is the only physician in the Tri-state region performing noninvasive MR-guided focused ultrasound surgery for uterine fibroids and adenomyosis. He recentlysuccessfully performed the first prostate embolization at NYP, and will be developing a research and clinical program in this area.
To schedule an Interventional Radiology appointment, please contact the registrar at 212-746-2771.
To speak to Interventional Radiology doctors, please call 212-746-2600 or 212-746-1866.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Honors and Awards
Dr. Schiffman was selected to lead the East Coast Stand Up To Cancer Bone Biospy Protocol for Prostate Cancer Metastases overseeing physicians at Mass General, University of Michigan, Royal Marsden, Memorial Sloan Kettering and the University of Wisconsin Medical Centers.
- Interventional Oncology
- Radiology, Vascular/Interventional
- Pain Management
- Tumor Embolization
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization
- MRI Guided Focused Ultrasound Surgery
- Iliac Vein Stenosis, Right
- IVC Filter Retrieval
- Iliac Vein Stenosis, Left
- Vein Stenosis
- Varicocele Embolization
- Embolization, Kidney, Native
- Liver Embolization
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Nerve Block
- Pelvic Congestion Syndrome
Contact and Practices
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- B.S., Cornell University, 1997
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Syracuse, 2003