Matthew T. Murrell, M.D., Ph.D.
Dr. Murrell is a board certified anesthesiologist currently serving as Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Anesthesiologist at New York Presbyterian Hospital. He earned his B.A. at Williams College in 1995 and his M.D., Ph.D. at Mount Sinai Medical Center in 2006, after which he completed both his anesthesiology residency and his thoracic and regional anesthesiology fellowship specialty training at New York Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Murrell's regional anesthesiology practice consists of ultrasound-guided single shot and continuous catheter blocks of upper and lower extremity for both the orthopedic trauma and arthroplasty services; his thoracic practice includes the care of patients undergoing esophagectomy, lobectomy/pneumonectomy and complex airway stenting/reconstruction procedures. In addition to these specialty care areas, Dr. Murrell is involved in the anesthetic management of patients undergoing bariatric, obstetric and general surgery procedures at New York Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Murrell is an active co-investigator in ongoing laboratory and clinical research trials within the Department of Anesthesiology at New York Presbyterian Hospital involving the development and testing of novel neuromuscular blocking compounds.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
Honors and Awards
Sadel Wortis Klein Award for Clinical Excellence
- Thoracic Anesthesia
- Regional Anesthesia
Contact and Practices
- B.A., Williams College, 1995
- M.D., Ph.D., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 2006