Mary J. Roman, M.D.
Most of my patients have heritable forms of heart disease such as Marfan syndrome, familial aortic aneurysm, and bicuspid aortic valve with associated aortic aneurysm. As such, despite being a subspecialist, I have had the opportunity to serve as a 'family doctor' and to care for multiple generations within families over many years. I feel very fortunate to have a clinical practice of relatively young, highly-informed, and motivated individuals with diseases for which there are now life-prolonging therapies.
Dr. Roman is a Professor of Medicine in the Division of Cardiology of the Department of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Attending Physician at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Roman obtained her undergraduate degree (A.B., Russian Language and Literature) at Barnard College in 1974 and her M.D. degree from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1980. Dr. Roman then served as Intern, Resident and Chief Resident in Internal Medicine at Harlem Hospital, the city hospital affiliate of Columbia University, from 1980-1984. She completed a cardiology fellowship at The New York Hospital-Cornell University Medical College in 1987 and has remained on the full-time faculty ever since.
Dr. Roman's activities include: clinical care, primarily of patients with heritable forms of thoracic aortic aneurysms; teaching of medical students, internal medicine residents, and cardiology fellows; echocardiography, including transesophageal studies; and clinical research. She has an extensive publication record, has served on the editorial boards of several journals, and is a research mentor for residents and fellows. She also serves on the Board of Directors of the National Marfan Foundation.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- Roman MJ, Devereux RB, Niles NW, Hochreiter C, Kligfield P, Sato N, Spitzer MC, Borer JS: Aortic root dilatation as a cause of isolated, severe aortic regurgitation: prevalence, clinical and echocardiographic patterns, and relation to left ventricular hypertrophy. Ann Intern Med 1987; 106:800:807.
- Roman MJ, Devereux RB, Kramer Fox R, Spitzer MC. Comparison of cardiovascular and skeletal features of primary mitral valve prolapse and Marfan syndrome. Am J Cardiol 1989; 63:317?321.
- Roman MJ, Klein L, Niles NW, Hochreiter C, Kligfield P, Borer JS, Devereux RB. Reversal of left ventricular dilatation, hypertrophy and dysfunction by valve replacement in aortic regurgitation. Am Heart J 1989; 118:553:563.
- Roman MJ, Devereux RB, Kramer Fox R, O'Loughlin J. Two dimensional echocardiographic aortic root dimensions in normal children and adults. Am J Cardiol 1989; 64:507:512.
- Hahn RT, Roman MJ, Mogtader AH, Devereux RB. Association of aortic dilation with regurgitant, stenotic and functionally normal bicuspid aortic valves. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992; 19:283-288.
- Roman MJ, Pini R, Pickering TG, Devereux RB. Noninvasive measurements of arterial compliance in hypertensive compared with normotensive adults. J Hypertens 1992; 10(suppl 6):S115-S118.
- Roman MJ, Saba PS, Pini R, Spitzer M, Pickering TG, Alderman MA, Rosen S, Devereux RB. Parallel cardiac and vascular adaptation in hypertension. Circulation 1992; 86:1909-1918.
- Roman MJ, Rosen SE, Kramer-Fox R, Devereux RB. The prognostic significance of the pattern of aortic dilatation in the Marfan syndrome. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993; 22:1470-1476.
- Roman MJ, Pickering TG, Schwartz JE, Pini R, Devereux RB. Association of carotid atherosclerosis and left ventricular hypertrophy. J Am Coll Cardiol 1995; 25:83-90.
- Roman MJ, Pickering TG, Pini R, Schwartz JE, Devereux RB. The prevalence and determinants of cardiac and vascular hypertrophy in hypertension. Hypertension 1995; 26:369-373.
- Silverman DI, Burton KJ, Gray J, Bosner MS, Kouchoukos NT, Roman MJ, Boxer M, Devereux RB, Tsipouras P. Life expectancy in the Marfan syndrome. Am J Cardiol 1995; 75:157-160.
- Roman MJ, Pickering TG, Schwartz JE, Pini R, Devereux RB. Relation of arterial structure and function to left ventricular geometric patterns in hypertensive adults. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996; 28:751-756.
- Rossi-Foulkes R, Roman MJ, Rosen SE, Kramer-Fox R, Ehlers KH, O'Loughlin JE, Davis JG, Devereux RB. Phenotypic features and impact of beta blocker or calcium antagonist therapy on aortic lumen size in the Marfan syndrome. Am J Cardiol 1999; 83:1364-1368.
- Roman MJ, Ganau A, Saba PS, Pini R, Pickering TG, Devereux RB. The impact of arterial stiffening on left ventricular structure. Hypertension 2000; 36:489-494.
- Roman MJ, Salmon JE, Sobel R, Lockshin MD, Sammaritano L, Schwartz JE, Devereux RB. Prevalence and relation to risk factors of carotid atherosclerosis and left ventricular hypertrophy in systemic lupus erythematosus and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Am J Cardiol 2001; 87:663-666.
- Roman MJ, Devereux RB. Heritable aortic disease. In Lindsay J (Ed): Diseases of the Aorta. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger, 1993.
- Devereux RB, Roman MJ. Hypertensive cardiac hypertrophy: pathophysiologic and clinical characteristics. In: Laragh JH, Brenner B (Eds): Hypertension: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Management, Raven Press, 1994, pp:409-432.
- Devereux RB, Roman MJ. Evaluation of cardiac and vascular structure and function by echocardiography and other noninvasive techniques. In: Laragh JH, Brenner B (Eds): Hypertension: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Management, Raven Press, 1994, pp:1969-1985.
- Roman MJ, Devereux RB. Diagnostic imaging of the cardiovascular system in the Marfan syndrome. Progress in Pediatric Cardiology 1996; 5:175-188.
- Devereux RB, Roman MJ. Aortic disease in Marfan's syndrome. N Engl J Med 1999; 340:1358-1359.
- Roman MJ, Shanker B-A, Davis A, Lockshin MD, Sammaritano L, Simantov R, Crow MK, Schwartz JE, Paget SA, Devereux RB, Salmon JE. Prevalence and correlates of accelerated atherosclerosis in systemic lupus erythematosus. N Engl J Med 2003; 349:2399-2406.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Marfan's Syndrome
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1980