Marisa Censani, M.D.
I have always had a strong desire to work with children with chronic conditions. I realized early in my training that by pursuing a career in pediatric endocrinology, I would combine my passion for science with helping children with chronic illness, serving as both their advocate and teacher. The key to successful medical care is developing patient-physician relationships, individualized for each family, with mutual understanding, communication and respect. Providing medical treatment to children and adolescents during their most critical years of development and growth has been extremely rewarding in my life.
Dr. Marisa Censani is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical College and an Assistant Attending Pediatrician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital.
Dr. Censani received a B.S. in Biology from Fordham University in Bronx, New York, graduating summa cum laude. She received her medical degree (M.D.) from Penn State College of Medicine where she was the recipient of the Bedrick Pediatric Medical Student Research Scholarship and completed both her internship and residency at Weill Cornell Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York. After residency, she remained in New York City and completed a fellowship in Pediatric Endocrinology at Columbia University Medical Center/New York-Presbyterian Hospital. In 2011, Dr. Censani received her certification as a Certified Clinical Densitometrist from the International Society for Clinical Densitometry.
Dr. Censani’s professional areas of interest and expertise include pediatric obesity, bone and mineral metabolism, growth, and diabetes. During her fellowship, she was involved in several obesity and bone mineral metabolism related patient oriented research studies, including the effects of bariatric surgery and weight loss on adolescent bone health, and was the recipient of a 2012 Clinical Research Grant from the Genentech Center for Clinical Research in Endocrinology. She has published original articles in peer-reviewed journals pertaining to her research and has presented her work at both national and international conferences. Dr. Censani was one of three featured speakers in the 2012 Endocrine Society Annual Meeting news conference on vitamin D and her research has been reported in numerous media outlets, including Clinical Endocrinology News, Science News, and Science Daily.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Health Care
- Censani M, Stein EM, Shane E, Oberfield S, McMahon D, Lerner S, and Fennoy I. Vitamin D Deficiency is Prevalent in Morbidly Obese Adolescents Prior to Bariatric Surgery. ISRN Obesity. Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 284516. doi:10.1155/2013/284516.
- Censani M, Conroy R, Chung W, Leibel R, Oberfield S, and Fennoy I. Weight Loss after Bariatric Surgery in Morbidly Obese Adolescents with MC4R Mutations. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013 Jun 6. doi:10.1002/oby.20511 [Epub ahead of print].
- Censani M, Anyane-Yeboa K, Wapner R, Spigel E, Guzman E, and Oberfield S. Rare Inheritance of Leri-Weill Syndrome due to crossover of short stature Homeobox Gene (SHOX) Deletions between X and Y Chromosomes: a case report. International Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology 2013, 2013:11.
- Censani M, and Oberfield SE. Using Growth Hormone Therapy in Children: Indications, Safety, and Efficacy. Medscape Diabetes and Endocrinology Clinical Anthology, March 2012.
- Censani M, and Oberfield SE. Evaluating and Managing Growth Failure: A Case Report. Medscape Diabetes and Endocrinology Clinical Anthology, March 2012.
- Censani M, Gallagher M, Chung WK, and Oberfield SE. Endocrinology and Metabolism. In: Polin RA and Spitzer AR (eds): Fetal & Neonatal Secrets, 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Mosby Elsevier. In Press.
- Censani M, Stein EM, Shane E, Oberfield S, McMahon D, Lerner S, Fennoy I. Vitamin D Deficiency and its Relationship to Parathyroid Hormone in Morbidly Obese Adolescents Prior to Bariatric Surgery. Abstract, 6th International Conference on Children's Bone Health; Rotterdam, Netherlands 2013.
- Censani M, Oberfield S, Shane E, McMahon D, Fennoy I. Vitamin D Deficiency is Associated with Insulin Resistance and Markers of Metabolic Syndrome in Morbidly Obese Adolescents Prior to Bariatric Surgery. Abstract, Pediatric Endocrine Society 2013.
- Chin V, Censani M, Lerner S, Conroy R, Oberfield S, McMahon D, Fennoy I. PCOS and Metabolic Syndrome in Adolescent Girls Enrolled in a Bariatric Surgery Program. Abstract, Endocrine Society 2013
- Chin V, Censani, M, Lerner S, Conroy R, Oberfield S, McMahon D, Fennoy I. Gonadal Dysfunction in Adolescent Boys Enrolled in a Bariatric Surgery Program. Abstract, Endocrine Society 2013.
- Censani M, Fennoy I, Lerner S, Conroy R, Oberfield S, Zitsman J, McMahon DJ, Silverberg SJ. Effects of Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding and Weight Loss on Bone Turnover Markers in Morbidly Obese Adolescents. Abstract, ASBMR 2011.
- Lerner S, Conroy R, Censani M, Oberfield S, Zitsman J, Fennoy I. Predictors and Outcomes of Weight Loss in Morbidly Obese Adolescents undergoing Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAGB), Abstract, Endocrine Society 2011.
- Censani M, Palau M, Motaghedi R, Ward M, Diaz A. Vitamin D and BMI Predict Fasting Insulin to Glucose Ratio among Overweight and Obese Children. Abstract, Pediatric Endocrine Society 2010.
Honors and Awards
- 2013 Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Grant, Washington, D.C.
- 2012 Endocrine Trainee Day, Endocrine Society Meeting, Houston, TX
- 2012 Pediatric Endocrine Society Spring Retreat, Boston, MA
- 2012 Pediatric Endocrine Society Travel Grant, Boston, MA
- 2011 Endocrine Society Clinical Investigators’ Workshop, San Francisco, CA
- 2011 ASBMR President’s Poster Competition Award at American Society for Bone & Mineral Research (ASBMR) Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA
- 2011 EFF/ASBMR Fifth Fellows Forum on Metabolic Bone Diseases, San Diego, CA.
- 2011 Endocrine Fellows Foundation Preceptorship in Metabolic Bone Diseases, New York, NY.
- 2006 Bedrick Pediatric Medical Student Research Scholarship
- 2004 Dr. M. Elaine Eyster Scholarship in Medicine
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- Childhood Obesity
- Bone and Mineral Metabolism
- Short Stature
- Growth Disorder
- Pediatric Diabetes
- Thyroid Disorder
- Pediatric Osteoporosis
- Metabolic Bone Disease
- Irregular Menstrual Cycle
- Disorder of Adrenal Gland
- Pubertal Disorders
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
Contact and Practices
- B.S., Fordham University, 2003
- M.D., Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 2007