Kimberly C. Sippel, M.D.
Dr. Kimberly Sippel attended Harvard College in Cambridge, Massachusetts, graduating with honors in Biochemical Sciences. She received her medical degree with the Alpha Omega Alpha honor distinction from the Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York City. Following two years of training in general surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Dr. Sippel completed ophthalmology residency training at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, Harvard Medical School. She then completed the fellowship program in Cornea and External Disease at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, and is a recipient of both a Heed Foundation fellowship, as well as the American Ophthalmological Society Knapp Foundation fellowship award.
Dr. Sippel also pursued several years of vision-related laboratory investigation as a Research Fellow at both the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and the Schepens Eye Research Institute in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Sippel is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Sippel is an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Weill Cornell Medical Center and the New York - Presbyterian Hospital. Prior to joining the Weill Cornell faculty, Dr. Sippel was with Cornea Consultants of Boston/ Laser Eye Consultants of Boston and had an active teaching role at Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary. Her interests include laser vision correction surgery, corneal transplantation and cataract surgery, corneal disease and dry eye, and conjunctival tumors.
Kimberly C. Sippel, M.D. discusses the specifics of the cornea.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Yamamoto S, Sippel KC, Berson EL, Dryja TP. Defects in the rhodopsin kinase gene in the Oguchi form of stationary night blindness. Nature Genetics 1997, 15:175-178.
2. Sippel KC, DeStafano JD, Berson EL, Dryja TP. Evaluation of the human arrestin gene in patients with retinitis pigmentosa and stationary night blindness. Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science 1998, 39:665-670.
3. Sippel KC, Fraioli RE, Smith GD, Schalkoff ME, Sutherland J, Gallie BL, Dryja TP. Frequency of somatic and germ-line mosaicism in retinoblastoma: implications for genetic counseling. American Journal of Human Genetics 1998, 62:610-619.
4. Sippel KC. Ocular findings in neurofibromatosis type I. International Ophthalmology Clinics 2001 Winter, 41(1):25-40.
5. Sippel KC, Azar DT. Monovision achieved with excimer laser refractive surgery. International Ophthalmology Clinics 2001 Spring, 41(2):91-111.
6. Sippel KC, Foster CS. Amniotic membrane surgery. Current Opinion in Ophthalmology 2001, 12:269-281.
7. Sippel KC, Pineda R. Phacoemulsification and thermal wound injury. Seminars in Ophthalmology 2002, 17:102-109.
1. Sippel KC, Foster CS. Five pearls in limbal stem cell transplantation. In Melki SA, Azar DT (eds): 101 Pearls in Refractive, Cataract and Corneal Surgery. Thorofare, New Jersey: Slack, Inc.; 2001, 2006.
2. Sippel KC, Foster CS. Three pearls in amniotic membrane grafting. In Melki SA, Azar DT (eds): 101 Pearls in Refractive, Cataract and Corneal Surgery. Thorofare, New Jersey: Slack, Inc.; 2001, 2006.
1. Sippel KC, DeStafano JD, Berson EL, Dryja TP. Screen of the human arrestin gene in patients with retinitis pigmentosa and Oguchi disease. ARVO abstract # 992, 1996.
2. Yamamoto S, Sippel KC, Berson EL, Dryja TP. Defects in the rhodopsin kinase gene in the Oguchi form of stationary night blindness. ARVO abstract # 797, 1997.
3. Sippel KC, Dryja TP. Detection of mosaicism in three families with retinoblastoma: relevance to genetic counseling. ARVO abstract # 447, 1997.
4. Sippel KC, Fraioli RE, Smith GD, Schalkoff ME, Dryja TP. Frequent somatic and germ-line mosaicism in retinoblastoma: relevance to genetic counseling. American Journal of Human Genetics 1997, 61:A16.
5. Sippel KC, Arroyo JG, Sharma A, Lit ES. Prognostic factors for determining final visual acuity and need for retinal surgery in open globe injuries. ARVO abstract # 351, 2000.
6. Sippel KC, Dudenhoefer EJ, Colby KA, Pineda R, Jain S, Johnson J, Azar DT. Flap transections are unnecessary in the treatment of traumatic LASIK flap dislocations and recalcitrant flap folds. 105th annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, New Orleans, LA, 2001.
7. Sippel KC, Rizzo JF. Blepharophimosis-ptosis-epicanthus inversus Syndrome (BPES) and Corneal Astigmatism. ARVO abstract # 178, 2002.
8. Kenyon, KR, Schirra FN, Ghinelli E, Sippel KC. Amniotic membrane transplantation improves keratoplasty outcome in anesthetic corneas. 107th annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Anaheim, CA, 2003.
9. Sippel KC, Aquavella J, Dohlman CH. Permanent Keratoprosthesis: Improved Retention and Host/ Device Interface Stability with the Newly-modified Boston Keratoprosthesis. 104th annual meeting of the Deutsche Ophthalmologische Gesellschaft, Berlin, Germany, 2006.
Honors and Awards
1984 Cum Laude Society
1984 Herbert E. Teshemacher merit scholarship for Harvard College
1984-88 Harvard College Scholarship
1984-88 Elizabeth Cary Agassiz Certificate of Merit
1993 Alpha Omega Alpha
1993 Rudin Merit Scholarship
1993 AMWA Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Citation Award
1993 Louis Gibofsky Memorial Prize for Research in the Field of Immunology
2000-01 Heed Foundation Fellowship
2001-02 AOS-Knapp Fund Fellowship
- General Ophthalmology
- Refractive Surgery
- Laser Vision Correction
- Corneal Disease
- Corneal Disorder
- Laser Vision Correction Surgery
- LASIK Surgery
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1993