Jeffrey P. Greenfield, M.D., Ph.D.
Jeffrey Greenfield, MD, PhD is a pediatric neurosurgeon at NewYork Presbyterian-Hospital and Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Greenfield, a native New Yorker, graduated from Amherst College Magna Cum Laude in Neuroscience before receiving his M.D. and Ph.D. degrees from the Weill Medical College and Graduate School of Medical Sciences. His laboratory mentor during his PhD was Paul Greengard at The Rockefeller University, who won the Nobel Prize for Medicine in 2000. He completed his Neurosurgery residency at The NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. During residency he was awarded a scientific fellowship with Howard Hughes Scientist Shahin Rafii in Stem Cell Biology at the Ansary Center for Stem Cell Therapeutics.
Following residency he completed his fellowship in pediatric neurosurgery at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, one of North America's premier fellowship programs. By the completion of training, he had performed over 2500 neurosurgical procedures at three of the best cancer facilities in the world: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
Dr. Greenfield brings a unique mixture of scientific curiosity and clinical acumen to his position at Cornell. Expansion of several clinical programs, including pediatric epilepsy surgery, functional neurosurgery, spine surgery and skull base tumor surgery, have already been initiated under his direction. His basic science laboratory is studying the cellular mechanisms driving the transformation of low-grade astrocytomas, the most common benign brain tumor in children into more malignant tumors. Specifically he is looking at the events that stimulate neo-angiogenesis or new blood supply to the tumors with the intention being to design novel therapies to keep tumors in a benign state indefinitely.
Dr. Greenfield sees patients at three offices:
520 East 70th Street (east of York Avenue)
Starr Pavillion, Room 651
New York, NY 10065
1305 York Avenue (at 70th Street)
Brain and Spine Center, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10065
244 Westchester Avenue
White Plains, NY 10604
Please confirm the location of your appointment with your patient coordinator.
Find out more about:
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
1. Allen BB, Chiu YL, Gerber LM, Ghajar J, Greenfield JP. Age-Specific Cerebral Perfusion Pressure Thresholds and Mortality in Children and Adolescents with Severe Traumatic Brain Injury Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2013 Oct 25
2. Kim JH, Huang Y, Griffin AS, Rajappa P, Greenfield JP Ependymoma in children: molecular considerations and therapeutic insights. Clin Transl Oncol. 2013 Apr 25.
3. Banu MA, Guerrero-Maldonado A, McCrea HJ, Garcia-Navarro V, Souweidane MM, Anand VK, Heier L, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP Impact of skull base development on endonasal endoscopic surgical corridors. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2013 Dec 6
4. Rajappa P, Margetis K, Sigounas D, Anand V, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP. Endoscopic Endonasal Trans-Clival Approach to a Ventral Pontine Ependymoma J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2013 Nov;12(5):465-8
5. Kim JH, Huse JT, Huang Y, Lyden D, Greenfield JP. Molecular diagnostics in paediatric glial tumours. Lancet Oncol. Jan;14(1) 2013
6. Lancman G, Virk M, Shao H, Mazumdar M, Greenfield JP, Weinstein S, Schwartz TH Vagus nerve stimulation vs. corpus callosotomy in the treatment of Lennox-Gastaut syndrome: A meta-analysis. Seizure. (12) 00256-7 2012
7. McCrea HJ, Knopman J, Engel M, Riina HA, Souweidane MM, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP Concurrent anatomic hemispherectomy and thalamic arteriovenous malformation resection. 2012 May 31
8. Kramer K, McCrea HJ, Fischer C, Greenfield JP, Establishing Successful cerebrospinal fluid flow for radioimmunotherapy. J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2012 Mar;9(3):316-9
9. Rajappa P, Krass J, Riina HA, Boockvar JA, Greenfield JP. Super-Selective Basilar Artery Infusion of Bevacizamab and Cetuximab for Multiply Recurrent Pediatric Ependymoma. Interventional NeuroRad. Dec 17, 2011
10.Leng, LZ, Greenfield JP, Souweidane MM; Anand, VK, Schwartz TH. Endoscopic, endonasal resection of craniopharyngiomas: analysis of outcome including extent of resection, cerebrospinal fluid leak, return to preoperative productivity, and body mass index. Neurosurgery. 20 September 2011
11. Morgenstern PF, Osbun N, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP, Tsiouris AJ, Souweidane MM. Pineal region tumors: an optimal approach for simultaneous endoscopic third ventriculostomy and biopsy. Neurosurg Focus. 2011 Apr;30(4):E3
12. Allen BB, Hoffman CE, Traube CS, Weinstein SL, Greenfield JP Continuous Brain Tissue Oxygenation Monitoring in the Management of Pediatric Stroke. Neurocrit Care. 2011 Mar 17
13. Gürsel DB, Beyene RT, Hofstetter C, Greenfield JP, Souweidane MM, Kaplitt M, Arango-Lievano M, Howard B, Boockvar JA. Optimization of glioblastoma multiforme stem cell isolation, transfection, and transduction. J Neurooncol. 2011 Feb 19.
14. Woodworth GF, McCoul E, Anand VK, Greenfield JP, Schwartz TH. Endoscopic management of anterior cranial fossa meningiomas. Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology 2011 22, 254-262
15. Kasliwal MK, Fraser JF, Greenfield JP, Schwartz TH Simultaneous middle fossa arachnoid cyst and ambient cistern epidermoid cyst: case report and endoscope-assisted microsurgical management. Pediatric Neurosurg. 2010 Aug;46(2):151-4
16. Rubin D, Santillan A, Greenfield JP, Souweidane MM, Riina HA. Surgical Management of pediatric cerebral arteriovenous malformations, Childs Nerv Syst. Jul 2, 2010.
17. Greenfield JP, Cobb WS, Lyden D. Resisting arrest: a switch from angiogenesis to vasculogenesis in recurrent malignant gliomas. J Clin Invest.;120(3):663-7. doi: 10.1172/JCI42345. Epub 2010 Feb 22, 2010.
18. Greenfield JP, Riina H, Fralin S, Gobin Y.P., Tsiouris A.J., Souweidane M.M.S., Boockvar J.A. Balloon-Assisted Supeselective Intra-Arterial Cerebral Infusion of Bevacizumab for Malignant Brainstem Glioma- A Technical Note, Interventional Neuroradiology, 16.1, 71-76, March 16, 2010.
19. Greenfield JP, Anand V, Kacker A, Seibert M, Singh A, Brown S, Schwartz TH MD.Endoscopic Endonasal Transethmoidal Transcribriform Transfovea Ethmoidalis Approach to the Anterior Cranial Fossa and Skull Base, Neurosurgery Volume 66, 5, 883-92. Discussion 892. May, 2010.
20. Greenfield JP, Jin DK, Young LM, Christos PJ, Abrey L, Rafii S, Gutin PH. Surrogate Markers Predict Angiogenic Potential and Survival in Patients with Glioblastoma Multiforme, Neurosurgery, In Press, 2009.
21. Greenfield JP, Hoffman CE, Souweidane MM. Intraoperative Assessment of Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy Success, J Neurosurg Pediatrics. 2(5):298-303, 2008.
22. Greenfield JP, Leng L, Chaudhry U, Anand V, Brown S, Souweidane MM, Schwartz TH, Combined Simultaneous Endoscopic Transsphenoidal and Endoscopic Transventricular Resection of a Giant Pituitary Macroadenoma, Minim Invas Neurosurg, 51(5):306-9, 2008
23. Greenfield JP, Cobb W, Tsouiris AJ, Schwartz TH, Stereotactic Minimally Invasive Tubular Retractor System for Deep Brain Lesions, Neurosurgery, Oct;63(4 Suppl 2):334-9; discussion 339-40, 2008.
24. Greenfield JP, Howard BM, Huang C, Boockvar JA. Endoscopic endonasal transphenoidal surgery using a skull reference array and laser surface scanning. Minim Invas Neurosurg, 51(4):244-6, 2008.
25. Laufer I, Greenfield JP, Anand VK, Hartl R. Endonasal Endoscopic Resection of the Odontoid in a Non-Achondroplastic Dwarf with Rheumatoid Arthritis. Feasibility of the Approach and Utility of Intraoperative Iso-C 3D Navigation. J Neurosurg Spine 8(4):376-80, 2008.
26. Bleau A-M, PhD, Howard, BM, Taylor LA, Gursel D, Greenfield JP, Tung YH, Holland EC, Boockvar JA. A new strategy for analysis of phenotypic marker antigens in murine and human brain tumor derived neurospheres, Neurosurg Focus. 24(3-4):E28, 2008.
27. Ayuso-Sacio A, Roy NS, Schwartz TH, Greenfield JP, Boockvar JA. Long term expansion of adult human brain subventricular zone precursors. Neurosurgery 62(1):223-9; 2008.
28. Greenfield JP, Ayuso-Sacido A, Schwartz TH, Pannullo S, Souweidane M, Stieg PE, Boockvar JA Use of human neural tissue for the generation of progenitors. Neurosurgery 62(1):21-37, 2008.
29. Gologorsky Y, DeLaMora P, Greenfield JP, Souweidane MM. Cerebellar Cryptococcoma in an Immunocompetent Child Mimicking a Juvenile Pilocytic Astrocytoma. J. Neurosurg 107:314-7, 2007.
30. Greenfield JP, Schwartz TH. Catheter placement for Ommaya reservoirs with frameless surgical navigation: technical note. Stereotact Funct Neurosurg 86(2):101-5, 2007.
31. Ayuso-Sacido A, Greenfield JP, Boockvar JA. The Duality of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) Signaling and Neural Stem Cell Phenotype: Cell Enhancer or Cell Transformer. Curr Stem Cell Res & Ther,1, 387-394, 2006.
32. Greenfield JP, & Souweidane MM. Endoscopic Management of Intracranial Cysts. Neurosurg Focus;19, 2005.
33. Luther N, Greenfield JP, Chadburn A, Schwartz TH. Intracranial Nasal Natural Killer/T-cell Lymphoma: Immunopathologically-Confirmed Case and Review of Literature. J. Neurooncol. 75(2):185-188, 2005.
34. Greenfield JP, and Bilsky MH. Neurosurgical interventions for leptomeningeal tumor. Canc Treat Res 125:107-19, 2004.
35. Cai D, Leem JY, Greenfield JP, Wang P, Kim BS, Wang R, Lopes KO, Kim SH, Zheng H, Greengard P, Sisodia SS, Thinakaran G, Xu H. Presenilin-1 regulates intracellular trafficking and cell surface delivery of beta-amyloid precursor protein. J Biol Chem 278:3446-54, 2003.
36. Greenfield JP, Leung LW, Cai D, Kaasik K, Gross RS, Rodriguez-Boulan E, Greengard P, Xu H. Estrogen lowers Alzheimer beta-amyloid generation by stimulating trans-Golgi network vesicle biogenesis. J Biol Chem 277:12128-36, 2002.
37. Greenfield JP, Gross RS, Gouras GK, Xu H. Cellular and molecular basis of beta-amyloid precursor protein metabolism. Front Biosci 5:72-83, 2000.
38. Gouras GK, Xu H, Gross RS, Greenfield JP, Hai B, Wang R, Greengard P.Testosterone reduces neuronal secretion of Alzheimer's beta-amyloid peptides. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:1202-5, 2000.
39. Gouras GK, Naslund J, Vincent B, Checler F, Greenfield JP, Buxbaum JD, Xu H, Greengard P, Relkin NR. Intraneuronal Abeta42 accumulation in human brain. Am J Pathol 156:15-20, 2000.
40. Greenfield JP, Xu H, Greengard P, Gandy S, Seeger M. Generation of the amyloid-beta peptide N terminus in Saccharomyces cerevisiae expressing human Alzheimer's amyloid-beta precursor protein.J Biol Chem 274:33843-6, 1999.
41. Greenfield JP, Tsai J, Gouras GK, Hai B, Thinakaran G, Checler F, Sisodia SS, Greengard P, Xu H. Endoplasmic reticulum and trans-Golgi network generate distinct populations of Alzheimer beta-amyloid peptides. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 96:742-7, 1999.
42. Xu H, Gouras GK, Greenfield JP, Vincent B, Naslund J, Fried G, Jovanovic JN, Seeger M, Relkin NR, Liao F, Checler F, Buxbaum JD, Chait BT, Thinakaran G, Sisodia SS, Wang R, Greengard P, Gandy S. Estrogen reduces neuronal generation of Alzheimer beta-amyloid peptides. Nat Med 4:447-51, 1998
43. Greenfield JP, Gouras GK, Xu H. Cellular and molecular basis of beta-amyloid precursor protein metabolism. Front Biosci 26;3:399-407, 1998.
Honors and Awards
Attending Teaching Award, Given by Housestaff, Weill Cornell Neurological Surgery Residency, 2010
Shulman Award, Pediatric Section, AANS, 12/2007
Distinguished HouseStaff Award,
Hydrocephalus Assoc. Award, Pediatric Section, AANS, 12/2005
Resident Research Award, NY Neurosurgery Society, 4/2006
Sharma Foundation, Neurooncology Fellowship, $40,000, 6/2005-6/2006
Harold Wolff Research Prize,
- Neurological Surgery
- Pediatric Neurological Surgery
- Pediatric Neurosurgery
- Ophthalmic Tumors
- Tethered Cord
- Pediatric Head and Neck Tumors
- Spine Injury
- Spinal Cord Tumor
- Minimally Invasive (Endoscopic) Neurosurgery
- Spinal Fusion
- Pineal Tumor
- Chiari Malformation
- Moyamoya Syndrome
- Arnold-Chiari Malformation
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Pediatric Brain Tumors
- Pediatric Epilepsy Surgery
- Craniofacial Disorders
- Spasticity Treatment
- Peripheral Nerve Surgery
- Spina Bifida
- Tethered Cord Syndrome
- Intraventricular Endoscopic Neurosurgery
- Craniopharyngioma Surgery
- Endoscopic Craniopharyngioma Surgery
- Endonasal Endoscopic Tumor Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spinal Fusions
Contact and Practices
- B.A., Amherst College, 1994
- Ph.D., Cornell University, 1999
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, 2002