Jon Samuels, M.D.
Jon D. Samuels, MD is a board-certified Anesthesiologist with expertise in a number of anesthesiology subspecialties, including bariatric anesthesia, vascular anesthesia, oral surgery anesthesia, ENT anesthesia, obstetrical anesthesia and ambulatory surgery anesthesia. Originally from Little Rock, Arkansas, Dr. Samuels earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology with a minor in Classical Music from Macalaster College in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and earned his M.D. in Italy from Sapienza - Università di Roma. After medical school, he returned to the United States, completing an internship in Internal Medicine at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn and residency training in Anesthesiology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, in The Bronx. Dr. Samuels worked in private practice with Sheridan Healthcare Inc. a private multi-specialty provider as Chairman of Anesthesia at Wyckoff Heights Medical Center, in Brooklyn for 6 ½ years, as well as attending physician at both established departments in Hollywood, Florida and participated in setting-up a new anesthesia department in Colorado. In 2002, Dr. Samuels returned to academia as an Attending Anesthesiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital and Assistant Professor of Clinical Anesthesiology at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Samuels is a committed clinician, teacher, and educator. His clinical responsibilities are varied – including service in several NYP/Weill Cornell operating rooms, and the Obstetrics Service. He is the Director of Anesthesia for Weight Reduction Service, and one of five members of the Bariatric Anesthesia Team. He is a member of the Airway Rotation Service, a departmental teaching service for resident education in bariatrics, ENT and oral surgery. He chairs the Anesthesia Equipment and Supplies Committee, and is the Weill Cornell Medical College liaison to the Anesthesia Technicians, a staff of 21, and a member of the Clinical Practice Committee. His teaching responsibilities include daily clinical teaching of medical students assigned to the Department of Anesthesiology, anesthesiology residents, and residents assigned from other clinical departments such as Oral and Facial-Maxillary Surgery and the Emergency Department. He also lectures periodically across Weill Cornell Medical College, locally, nationwide, and internationally. His areas of interest include difficult airway management, bariatric anesthesia and obstructive sleep apnea, anesthesia for orthognathic and oral/maxillofacial surgery, high-risk obstetric anesthesia, vascular anesthesia, trauma anesthesia, regional anesthesia, and anesthesia equipment. Dr. Samuels has been an investigator in numerous research studies, including several trials funding by private industry, and has been published in peer-reviewed journals. He is an active member of anesthesia and medical professional associations on the local, national, and international level, including the American Society of Anesthesiologists and the American Medical Association. He is a senior editor of the international journal, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Trencheva K, Dhar P, Sonoda T, Lee S, Samuels J, Stein B, Milsom J. Physiologic Effects of Simultaneous Carbon Dioxide Insufflation by Laparoscopy and Colonoscopy: Prospective Evaluation. Surgical Endoscopy 2011 Oct; 25(10), 3279-3285.
2. Skupski D, Abramowitz S, Samuels J, Pressimone V, Kjaer K. Adverse effects of combined spinal-epidural versus traditional epidural analgesia during labor. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2009; 106(3):242-5 .
3. Kjaer K, Comerford M, Kondilis L, DiMaria L, Abramovitz S, Kiselev M, Samuels J, Gadalla F, Leighton B. Oral sodium citrate increases nausea amongst elective Cesarean delivery patients. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia 2006; 53:776-780.
4. Samuels J. Heterotopic Pregnancy with Term Delivery After Rupture of a First-Trimester Tubal Pregnancy: A Case Report. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine 1999; 6:145.
5. Samuels J. Speedballs: A new Cause of Intraoperative Tachycardia. Anesthesia and Analgesia 1991; 2:151.
1. Al-Baljout, Samuels J. Case Report: Cardiac Arrest After Metoclopramide. NYSSA Sphere. January-March, 2014: 51-6.
2. Samuels J. Postoperative Management of the Bariatric Patient. Audio-Digest Anesthesiology; 49(1), 1/2007.
3. Samuels J. Lesson 4. Post-operative Analgesic Management of the Bariatric Surgical Patient. In: Current Reviews in Clinical Anesthesia. Ft. Lauderdale, FL; Frank Moya; 4(27), 9/2006.
4. Samuels J. Post-operative Management of the Bariatric Surgical Patient. NYSSA Sphere. July-September, 2006; 30-44.
5. Samuels J. Review of Obstructive Sleep Apnea Hypopnea Syndrome. NYSSA Sphere. July-September, 2005.
6. Samuels J. Lesson 243. Preanesthetic Assessment of the Patient for Weight Reduction Surgery. Anesthesiology News; 7/2005: 52-8.
7. Samuels J. Cesearean Section in a Parturient with Ventricular Tachycardia of Undetermined Etiology. NYSSA Sphere. July-September, 2004: 51-6.
8. Oxendine J, Samuels J. Successful Use of Laryngoscope-Assisted Nasotracheal Fiberoptic Bronchoscopy in a Patient with Mucopoly-saccharidosis for Aortic Valve Replacement. NYSSA Sphere. April-June, 2004: 31-4.
9. Samuels J. Bariatric Anesthesia: A New Subspecialty. NYSSA Sphere. January-March, 2004: 49-54.
10. Samuels J. The Pain Patient. In Frost EAM (ed): Anesthesiology Clinics of North America, PA; W.B. Saunders Company; 1/1991.
11. Samuels J. The Patient Who is a Jehovah’s Witness. In Frost EAM (ed): Preanesthetic Assessment 3. Boston, MA; Birkauer. Anesthesiology News; 10/1990.
BOOKS, BOOK CHAPTERS, REVIEWS, EDITOR
1. Samuels J. Editors Invited Commentary: Perioperative Nausea and Vomiting: Much Ado About Nothing? Aesthetic Plastic Surgery June 2013; 37(3): 634-635. Response to: Sweis I, Yeginants SS, Cohen MN. The Management of Postoperative Nausea and Vomit: Current Thoughts and Protocols. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery June 2013; 37(3): 625-633.
2. Samuels J. Manuscript Review. Anesthesia & Analgesia.
3. Samuels J. Anesthesia Section Editor: Anesthesiology. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Springer; 2012-present.
4. Samuels J. Yao FSF. Morbid Obesity and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In Yao FSF (ed): Yao and Artusio’s Anesthesiology: problem-oriented patient management-7th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkens; 2012.
5. Samuels J. Yao FSF. Morbid Obesity and Obstructive Sleep Apnea. In Yao FSF (ed): Yao and Artusio’s Anesthesiology: problem-oriented patient management-6th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Lippincott, Williams & Wilkens; 2008.
6. Samuels J., Savarese J. Major textbook review for Anesthesia and Analgesia; 99(5), November, 2004, 1580. Evers A. and Maze, M (ed): Anesthetic Pharmacology: Physiologic Principles and Clinical Practice. A Companion to Millers Anesthesia. Philadelphia: Churchill-Livingston, 2004: 1580.
Honors and Awards
- “Excellence in Teaching Award”, Celebration of Teaching Dinner, Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell Club-New York, June 2103
- Winner, Ninth Annual Bragging Contest, “Emergent Cesearean Section in a Parturient with Severe Pregnancy-Induced Hypertension and Osteogenesis Imperfecta Type 3” The New York State Society of Anesthesiologists, Post Graduate Assembly (NYSSA 61st PGA), New York, NY December 2007
- Physicians Recognition Award (PRA) with Commendation in Continuing Medical Education, American Medical Association, 2006-2009
- Physicians Recognition Award (PRA) in Continuing Medical Education, American Medical Association, 2003-2006
- “Thank You” for Continued Support of Podiatric Medical Education Department of Podiatric Medical Education Wyckoff Heights Medical Center Brooklyn, NY, 1997
Contact and Practices
- M.D., University of Rome Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (Italy), 1985