Joseph Michael Scandura, M.D., Ph.D.
I am a physician-scientist working clinically and in the laboratory to develop curative treatment strategies for blood cancers.
Dr. Scandura received a B.S. in Electrical Engineering from Cornell Ithaca in 1987, and an MS in Biomedical Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania in 1992. He completed the MD/PhD program in Biochemistry at Temple University in 1997. His doctoral work investigating critical interactions between platelets and coagulation factors led to three first-authored papers in Biochemistry.
Following his residency in internal medicine-research track at Weill Medical College, New York Presbyterian Hospital from 1997-1999, Dr. Scandura did a Fellowship in Medical Oncology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1999-2003. Dr. Scandura was appointed Instructor on the Leukemia Service at Memorial in 2003, and an Instructor in Clinical Medicine at Weill Medical College in 2004. He served as an inpatient attending on the Memorial Leukemia Service and outpatient Leukemia Clinic.
In 2006, Dr. Scandura joined the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology at Weill/Cornell to serve in the Leukemia Program. He is Assistant Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College, and Assistant Attending Physician at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Scandura contributes as attending physician on the inpatient clinical services for the Division and as covering physician for the Hematology/Oncology inpatients. He also maintains an ambulatory clinic in the Leukemia and Myclodysplastic Syndromes Program in the outpatient department of the Division. Working collaboratively with other faculty members of the Division of Hematology and Medical Oncology, he is helping to develop both sponsored research activities and the Leukemia Program.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Scandura, J.M. (2005) Advances in the Molecular Genetics of Acute Leukemia. Current Oncology Reports, 7(5):323-32.
2. Scandura, J.M., Boccuni, P., Massagué, J., Nimer, S.D. (2004) TGFbeta-induced cell cycle arrest of human hematopoietic cells requires p57KIP2 upregulation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 101(42):15231-6.
3. MacGrogan, D., Kalakonda, N., Alvarez, S., Scandura, J.M., Boccuni, P., Johansson, B., Nimer, S.D. (2004) Structural integrity and expression of the L3MBTL gene in normal and malignant hematopoietic cells. Genes Chromosomes Cancer, 41:203-213.
4. Boccuni, P., MacGrogan, D., Scandura, J.M. and Nimer, S.D. (2003) The Human L(3)MBT Polycomb Group Protein is a Transcriptional Repressor and Interacts Physically and Functionally with TEL (ETV6). Journal of Biological Chemistry, 278(17):15412-20.
5. Scandura, J.M., Boccuni, P., Nimer, S.D. (2002) Transcription Factor Fusions in Acute Leukemia: Variations on a Theme. Oncogene, 21(21):3422-44.
6. Ahmad, S.S., Scandura, J.M. and Walsh, P.N. (2000) Structural and Functional Characterization of Platelet Receptor-Mediated Factor VIII Binding. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 275(17):13071-13081.
7. Zhang, Y., Scandura, J.M., VanNostrand,W.E. and Walsh, P.N. (1997) The Mechanism by Which Heparin Promotes the Inhibition of Coagulation Factor XIa by Protease Nexin-2. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 272(42):26139-26144.
8. Scandura, J.M., Zhang, Y., Van Nostrand, W.E. and Walsh, P.N. (1997) Progress Curve Analysis of the Kinetics with Which Blood Coagulation Factor XIa is Inhibited by Protease Nexin-2. Biochemistry, 36(2):412-420.
9. Scandura, J.M., Ahmad, S.S. and Walsh, P.N. (1996) A Binding Site Expressed on the Surface of Activated Human Platelets is Shared by Factor X and Prothrombin. Biochemistry, 35(27):8890-8902.
10. Scandura, J.M. and Walsh, P.N. (1996) Factor X Bound to the Surface of Activated Human Platelets is Preferentially Activated by Platelet-bound Factor IXa. Biochemistry, 35(27):8903-8913.
11. Walsh, P.N., Scandura, J.M. and Ahmad, S.S. (1995) Platelet-mediated Coagulation Protease Assembly. Proceedings from the National Antithrombin Investigators Meeting, Naples, Florida.
Honors and Awards
|1984-1987||Red Key Athletic Honor Society, Cornell University|
|1985-1987||Sphinx Head Society, Cornell University|
|1986-1987||Dean's List, Cornell University|
|1992||Young Investigator Award, American Heart Association|
|1993||Young Investigator Award, American Society of Hematology|
|1995||Travel Grant Award, International Society for Thrombosis and Haemostasis|
|1996||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, Epsilon Chapter|
|2002||Charles A. Dana Fellow, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center|
|2002||Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Fellow Award|
- Medical Oncology
- Molecular Medicine
- Acute Myelogenous Leukemia
- Myeloproliferative Disorder
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Polycythemia Vera
- Essential Thrombocythemia
- Hematopoietic Disorder
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- M.S., University of Pennsylvania, 1992
- M.D., Ph.D., Temple University School of Medicine, 1997