Joy Deanna Howell, M.D.
My interest in pediatric critical care was sparked during my residency, when I found myself attracted to the physiology-based management of critically ill and injured patients.
Dr. Joy Howell received her medical degree (M.D.) at the State University of New York Health Science Center in Brooklyn, NY and completed her residency in pediatrics at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. She returned to New York City to complete a Fellowship in Pediatric Critical Care at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Her research during fellowship involved mechanisms of lung injury, with a special interest in in Asthma and Hypoxemic Respiratory Failure. She enjoys participating in fellow, resident and medical student education both at Weill Cornell as well as New York Hospital of Queens. She received the Award for Teaching Excellence in 2006 and 2010. She has served as the Program Director for the Pediatric Critical Care Medicine Fellowship since 2007.
As a physician with varied clinical, teaching and administrative responsibilities, Dr. Howell acknowledges direct patient care is the most satisfying part of her work.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
Peer Reviewed Articles
1. Laraque D, Barlow B, Durken M, Howell J, et. al. Children Who Are Shot: A 30 year experience. Journal of Pediatric Surgery. c1995; 30(7): 1072-76.
2. Woodward GA, Posner JC, Bolte RG, Howell J. Just Another Asthmatic? The Many Faces of Asthma in Pediatric Transport. Pediatric Emergency Care. 1998; 14(3): 237-45
3. Crystal RG, Sondhi, D, Hackett NR, Kaminsky SM, Worgall S, Steig P,Souweidane M, Hosain S. Heier L, Ballon M, Dinner M, Wisniewski K,Kaplitt M, Greenwald BM, Howell JD, Strybing K, Dyke J, Voss H.,Administration of a Replication-Deficient Adeno-Associated Virus Gene Transfer Vector Expressing the Human CLN2 cDNA to the Brain of Children with Late Infantile Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuiscinosis. Human Gene Therapy 2004;15: 1131-1154
4. Ross SL, Greenwald BM, Howell JD, Pon S, Rutigliano DN, Spicyn N, LaQuaglia MP.,Outcomes following thoracoabdominal resection of neuroblastoma. Critical Care Medicine 2009; 37(9): 2625-31
5. Goodman DM, Winkler MK, Fiser RT, Howell JD, Biagas K, Ognibene K, et. Al. The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education proposed work hour regulations. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011 Jan;12(1):120-1.
6. Howell JD, Kutko MC, Greenwald BM. Oncology patients in the pediatric intensive care unit: It's time for prospective study. Pediatr Crit Care Med.2011 Oct; 12(6)
Invited Articles and Book Chapters
7. Kim C, Howell J. Acute Demyelinating Encephalomyelitis. Pediatrics In Review 2003; 24(3): 99-104
8. Meyer GK, DeLaMora PA. Last Minute Pediatrics: Howell JD (Faculty Advisor) McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, New York, 2004
9. Yurt R, Howell J, Greenwald B,. Burns, Electrical Injuries and Smoke Inhalation. In:.The Rogers Textbook of Pediatric Intensive Care,. Fourth Edition, Nichols, D (Ed), Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins, Baltimore 2008
10. Howell, J. Mechanical Ventilation For Acute Severe Asthma in Children. In: Up To Date, Rose, BD (Ed), Up To Date, Wellesley, MA, 2006 .
11. Howell, J and Greenwald B. Pediatric Burn Injury. In: Textbook of Pediatric Fundamental Critical Care Support. Edited by Rodrigo Mejia, Society of Critical Care Medicine. Mount Prospect IL, 2008
Honors and Awards
- Award for Teaching Excellence, Department of Pediatrics ,Weill Medical College of Cornell University, June 2006
- Best Doctors in America 2007- Present
- Award for Teaching Excellence, Department of Pediatrics, Weill Medical College of Cornell University June 2010
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- VAP (Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia)
- Status Asthmaticus
- Respiratory Failure
- Mechanical Ventilation
Contact and Practices
- Pediatric Critical Care Medicine
- M.D., State University of New York Health Science Center at Brooklyn, 1995