Joseph Comunale, M.D.
Dr. Joseph Comunale is Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology at Weill Cornell Medical College and Associate Attending Radiologist at NewYork-Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Campus. He is a member of the Division of Neuroradiology at NYPH-Weill Cornell and Chief of the Division of Outpatient Imaging. He is also a Consultant in Radiology and Imaging at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
In 1985, Dr. Comunale earned his B.S. in Biochemistry and a B.A. in Spanish Language Studies from the University of Rochester, Rochester, NY and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He was awarded his M.D. degree in 1989 from the University of Rochester School of Medicine after completing the “Rochester Plan,” an early selection to medical school program.
After a general surgery internship (1989-1990) at North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY, Dr. Comunale served as a resident in Diagnostic Radiology at Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA (1990-1994) and was elected as Chief Radiology Resident 1993-1994. Dr. Comunale then did a Fellowship in Neuroradiology at NewYork-Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Campus and Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center from 1994-1996.
Dr. Comunale achieved Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology in 1994. He achieved a Certificate in Added Qualification (CAQ) in the sub-speciality of Neuroradiology in 1996 and was recertified in 2007.
Dr. Comunale performs a variety of neurologic and spine imaging (MRI, MRA, CT, CTA and procedures. In addition to providing clinical care, Dr. Comunale has a leadership position in the Department of Radiology serving as the Physician Leader of the Weill Cornell Imaging at NYP at the 1305 York Avenue (Weill Greenberg Center) imaging practice. He is Chief of the Division of Outpatient Imaging. Dr. Comunale is an active and enthusiastic teacher of medical students, radiology residents and neuroradiology fellows and is a mentor to medical students, residents, and neuroradiology fellows. He is both a local and national speaker on topics in Neuroradiology.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Peer Reviewed Articles:
1) J.P. Comunale, Jr., M.D., S.S. Han, M.D., L.W. Wong, M.D. Lumbar Myelography: Side Effects Correlated With Exam Findings and Needle Size. Spine 1994; 19:9:1063-65.
1) Comunale, J.P., Jr.; Essential Radiology in Head Injury. Radiology 1989; 173(1):76.
3) Comunale, J.P., Jr., Griffiths, H.J.; Medicine for the Practicing Physician. 2nd. ed. Radiology 1989;170:984.
4) Comunale, J.P., Jr.; Imaging and Labeling Techniques in the Critically Ill. Radiology 1990; 175(1):44.
Abstracts, Presentations, and Exhibits:
3) W.D. Donovan, M.D., J.P. Comunale, Jr., M.D., M.R. Armstrong, M.D. Intra- and Extracranial Seeding of Pituitary Adenoma. 33rd annual meeting of the American Society of Neuroradiology. Chicago, April 1995.
16) R.L. Gold, P.C. Sanelli, A. Ghassemi, J.P. Comunale. Evaluation of CT perfusion compared with transcranial Doppler for detection of vasospasm. Eastern Neuroradiological Society Annual Meeting, August 2008.
Contact and Practices
- Diagnostic Radiology
- M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1989