Heather Yeo, M.D., M.H.S.
Heather Yeo, MD, MHS is Assistant Professor of Surgery and Assistant Professor of Public Health at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Surgeon at NewYork-Presybterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is a board-certified general surgeon who also has additional subspecialty training and expertise in both Colon and Rectal Surgery and Surgical Oncology. Dr. Yeo specializes in the comprehensive care of colorectal cancer patients as well as those patients with benign colorectal diseases.
Because of her specialized training as a surgical oncologist, Dr. Yeo, is involved with her cancer patients throughout the course of their therapy and will help them to understand all of their treatment options. She works with a world renowned group of multidisciplinary specialists to help promote a multifaceted treatment plan for her patients, including radiation oncologists, medical oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, gastroentrologists, and interventional radiologists.
Dr. Yeo has expertise in minimal access techniques, including laparoscopic, needlescopic, colonoscopic-assisted and robotic surgery. In addition, she has special interests in sphincter preserving surgery (helping rectal cancer patients avoid a permanent ostomy), maintaining fertility in cancer patients, and improving quality of life and bowel function after rectal surgery.
Dr. Yeo’s clinical research focuses on the whole patient and improving the surgical experience. She has studied patient quality of life and outcome measures and believes incorporating those factors into her treatment decisions is very important.
Dr. Yeo has written extensively and published in many major journals, including the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Annals of Surgery, and the Journal of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Yeo completed her general surgical residency at Yale New Haven Hospital , and her Surgical Oncology fellowship at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and her fellowship in Colon and Rectal Surgery at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She has a Masters in Health Service Research from Yale University.
Dr. Yeo is actively involved in many national Surgical and Oncologic Societies, including the American College of Surgeons, Society of Surgical Oncologists, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons, Association of Women Surgeons, and Association of Academic Surgery.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Peer reviewed manuscripts
1. H Yeo, F Abir, W Longo. Management of Peristomal Ulcers. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006 May 28;12(20):3133-7. (ISSN 1007-9327, CN 14-1219/R).
2. AI Jonisch, H Hojman, Yeo, H, SA Bokhari, Infarcted splenule--a case report. Emerg Radiol. 2007 Jun;14(2):123-5. Epub 2007 Feb 28.
3. M Air, SA Roman, H Yeo, C Maser, T Trapasso, B Kinder, JA Sosa. Outdated and incomplete: a review of thyroid cancer information on the Internet. Thyroid 2007;17(3):259-65.
4. H Yeo, M Air, C Maser, T Trapasso, B Kinder, JA Sosa, SA Roman. Filling a void: thyroid cancer surgery information on the Internet. World J Surg. 2007 Jun;31(6):1187-93.
5. JA Sosa, T Wang, H Yeo, P Mehta, L Boudourakis, R Udelsman, SA Roman. The maturation of a specialty: workforce projections for endocrine surgery. Surgery 2007
6. H Yeo, P Mehta, L Boudourakis, T Wang, S Roman, JA Sosa. High price of endocrine surgery in octogenarians. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2007;205(3S):41-41.
7. JA Sosa, P Mehta, T Wang, H Yeo, SA Roman. Racial Disparities in Clinical and Economic Outcomes from Thyroidectomy. Annals of Surgery Dec. 2007. Vol 246. 10831-91.
8. L Boudourakis, S Roman, P Mehta, H Yeo, JA Sosa. 125. We Said ‘More Cases Do Better’, and Our Patients Listened: Evolution of the Surgeon Volume/Patient Outcome Relationship. Journal of Surgical Research. 2008;144(2):231-231.
9. M Dalal, R Skeete, H Yeo, G Lucas, M Rosenthal, A Physician Team's Experiences in Community-Based Participatory Research: Insights into Effective Group Collaborations, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 37, Issue 6, Supplement 1, December 2009, Pages S288-S291.
10. K Viola, E Bucholz, H Yeo, C Piper, R Bell, JA Sosa. Family and Gender Impact Career Goals: Results of a National Survey of 4,586 Surgery Residents. Archives of Surgery May 2010
11. H Yeo, K Viola, D Berg, Z Lin, M Nunez-Smith, C Cammann, R Bell, JA Sosa, H Krumholz, L Curry. Attitudes, Training Experiences, and Professional Expectations of US General Surgery Residents: A National Survey. JAMA. 2009;302(12):1301.
12. H Yeo, E Bucholz, JA Sosa, L Curry, F Lewis, A Jones, K Viola, Z Lin, R Bell, A National Study of Attrition During General Surgery Training: Which Residents Leave, and Where Do They Go? Annals of Surgery, Sept 2010. Volume 252 - Issue 3 - pp 529-536
13. Gloria R. Sue; Emily M. Bucholz; H. Yeo; Sanziana A. Roman; Andrew Jones; Richard H. Bell, Jr; Julie A. Sosa. The Vulnerable Stage of Dedicated Research Years of General Surgery Residency: Results of a National Survey Arch Surg. 2011;146(6):653-658.
14. Emily M. Bucholz; Gloria R. Sue; H. Yeo; Sanziana A. Roman; Richard H. Bell, Jr; Julie A. Sosa. Our Trainees' Confidence: Results From a National Survey of 4136 US General Surgery Residents. Arch Surg. 2011;146(8):907-914.
15. A Shariff, H Yeo, C Oropesa, AJ Duffy, R Bell. Navigating a patient-physician language barrier in patients undergoing laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric Bypass. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, Volume 7, Issue 3, Page 385, May 2011.
16. M Sullivan, G Sue, EM Bucholz, H Yeo, SA Roman, RH Bell, JA Sosa. Effect of program type on the training experiences of 248 university, community and U.S. military-based general surgery residencies, J of the Am Coll Surg 2011 (in press): PMID22075109.
17. M Sullivan, EM Bucholz, H Yeo, SA Roman, RH Bell, JA Sosa. Join the club: Impact of resident and attending social interactions on overall satisfaction among 4,390 general surgery residents. Archives of Surgery 2012 (in press).
18. R Wong. H Yeo, et al. Race and Surgical Residency Results From a National Survey of 4339 US General Surgery Residents. Annals of surgery. 04 2013;257(4):782-787.
19. M Sullivan, H Yeo, et al.Discrepancies in Training Satisfaction and Program Completion Among 2662 Categorical and Preliminary General Surgery Residents. Annals of surgery. 06 2013;257(6):1174-1180.
20. M Sullivan MC., H Yeo, et al. Striving for Work-Life Balance Effect of Marriage and Children on the Experience of 4402 US General Surgery Residents. Annals of surgery. 03 2013;257(3):571-576.
21. M Sullivan, H Yeo, SA Roman, Maria M. Ciarleglio, Xiangyu Cong, Richard H. Bell Jr, and Julie A. Sosa. "Surgical Residency and Attrition: Defining the Individual and Programmatic Factors Predictive of Trainee Losses." Journal of the American College of Surgeons (2012).
22. Yeo, H. L., & Temple, L. K. (2012, December). Can Patient-Reported Outcomes Data Be Used to Improve Quality of Care?. In Seminars in Colon and Rectal Surgery (Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 188-191). WB Saunders. (2012)
23. MM Chen, HL Yeo, SA Roman, RH Bell Jr, JA Sosa. Life events during surgical residency have different effects on women and men over time, Surgery 154 (2), 162-170 (2013)
1. H Yeo, S Roman, Pheochromocytoma and functional paraganglioma. Current Opinion in Oncology. 17(1):13-18, January 2005.
2. H Yeo, P Uranga, S Roman, Editors: Oertli D, Udelsman R. Surgery of the thyroid and parathyroid glands: Springer Verlag; 2007.
3. Yeo, A. Shariff, C. Cha, Advances in Surgical Therapy for Esophageal Cancer, Gastrointestinal Malignancies, Volume 1, Issue1, 2010, Emerging Cancer Therapeutics, Demos Medical, New York, 2010, 19-37.
Honors and Awards
Ira S. Goldenberg Award, Intern of the Year, 2005
Bridgepost Hospital Trauma Resident of the Year, 2009
Bridgeport Hospital John H. Palmer award for outstanding resident citizenship, 2010
OSHE Research Grant, 2006 and 2010
Association for Academic Surgery Travel Grant Recipient, 2012
AACR/ASCO Vail Clinical Trials Course Participant, 2013
Association of Women Surgeons Foundation and Ethicon Endo Surgery, Inc. Fellowship, 2013-2014
Empire Clinical Research Investigator Program Grant, 2014-2016
- Colon-Rectal Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Surgery, Colon and Rectal
- Rectal Surgery
- Colon/Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Cancer of Colon With Rectum
- Cancer of Colon
- Laparoscopic Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Colon Cancer and Polyps
- Diverticular Disease
- Bowel Dysfunction
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Cancer
- FH: Bowel Obstruction
- Obstruction of Bowel
- Complex Anal Fistula Disease
- Anal Sphincter Incontinence
- Anal Incontinence
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Anal Fistula
- Gastrointestinal Malignancy
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Laparoscopic Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Anal Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- B.S.F.S., Georgetown University, 1998
- M.D., Georgetown University School of Medicine, 2004
- M.H.S., Yale University, 2008