Gerald M. Loughlin, M.D.
My clinical expertise is in disorders of breathing during sleep (sleep apnea), difficulty to control asthma, and chronic lung disease in children. I also work with children who have respiratory symptoms associated with dysfunctional swallowing and gastroesophageal reflux.
On NYP's YouTube channel: Dr. Loughlin talks about his work as a pediatric pulmonologist [VIDEO]
Gerald M. Loughlin, M.D., M.S. is the Nancy C. Paduano Professor and Chairman, Department of Pediatrics, and the Senior Associate Dean for International Clinical Planning at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is also the Pediatrician-in-Chief at the NewYork-Presbyterian’s Phyllis and David
Komansky Center for Children’s Health.
Dr. Loughlin received his M.D. from the University of Rochester and a Master’s of Science (M.S.) in Business Health Care Finance and Administration from Johns Hopkins University. He has served on the Board of Directors of several major healthcare organizations, including the Board of the American Thoracic Society and the Mount Washington Pediatric Hospital in Baltimore.
Dr. Loughlin is an internationally recognized authority on pediatric respiratory diseases, including asthma, cystic fibrosis, and sleep apnea. He is board certified in pediatrics and pediatric pulmonology. The recipient of many awards and honors, Dr. Loughlin is ranked as one of New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors” and Castle Connolly’s “America’s Top Doctors.” He has authored numerous publications, and is co-editor of two textbooks focused on diagnosis and management of respiratory diseases in children, and pediatric sleep and breathing disorders.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Leftton-Geif MA, Carroll JL, Loughlin GM. Long-term follow-up or oropharyngeal dysphagia in children without apparent risk factors. Pediatr Pulmonol 2006
- Lefton-Grief MA, Crawford TO, Winkelstein JA, Loughlin GM, Koerner CB, Zahurak M, Lederman HM. Oropharyngeal dysphagia and aspiration in patients with ataxia-telangectasia. J Pediatr 136:225-231, 2000.
- Blaisdell CJ, Goodman S, Clark K, Casella JF, Loughlin GM. Pulse oximetry is a poor predictor of hypoxemia in stable children with sickle cell disease. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:900-903, 2000.
- Haller JA, Loughlin GM. Cardiorespiratory function is significantly improved following corrective surgery for severe pectus excavatum: proposed treatment guidelines. J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 41:125-130, 2000.
- Gerenscer GA. Loughlin GM, Crowder MA. Chloride transport in the ferret trachea. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol 122: 93-97,1999.
- Mogayzel PJ, Carroll JL., Loughlin GM., Hurko O., Francamano CA., Marcus CL. Sleep disordered breathing in children with achondroplasia. J Pediatr 132:667-671, 1998.
- Marcus CL., Hamer A., Loughlin GM., Natural history of primary snoring in children. Pediatr Pulmonol 26:6-11,1998.
- McColley SA, Carroll JL, Curtis S, Loughlin GM, Sampson HA. High prevalence of allergic sensitization in children with habitual snoring and obstructive sleep apnea. Chest 111:170-173,1997
- Marcus CL, Loughlin GM. Effect of sleep deprivation on driving safety in housestaff. Sleep 1996; 19:763-766.
- Haller JA, Colombani PM, Humphries CT, Azizkhan RG, Loughlin GM. Chest wall constriction after too extensive and too early operations for pectus excavatum. Ann Thorac Surg, 1996;61:1618-25.
- Tunkel DE, McColley SA, Baroody FM, Marcus CL, Carroll JL, Loughlin GM. Polysomnography in the evaluation of readiness for decannulation in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 1996;122:721-724.
- Helfaer MA, McColley SA, Pyzik PL, Tunkel DE, Nichols DG, Baroody FM, April MM, Maxwell LG, and Loughlin GM. Polysomnography after adenotonsillectomy in mild pediatric obstructive sleep apnea. Crit Care Med 1996; 24:1323-1327.
- Quigley PM, Haller JA, Jelus KL, Loughlin GM, and Marcus CL: Cardiorespiratory function before and after corrective surgery in pectus excavatum. J Pediatr 1996; 128:638-43.
- Marcus CL, Curtis S, Koerner CB, Joffe A, Serwint JR, and Loughlin GM: Evaluation of pulmonary function and polysomnography in obese children and adolescents. Pediatr Pulmonol 1996; 21:176-183.
- Marcus CL, Carroll JL, Bamford O, Pyzik P, and Loughlin GM: Supplemental oxygen during sleep in children with sleep-disordered breathing. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995; 152:1297-301.
- Carroll JL, McColley SA, Marcus CL, Curtis S, and Loughlin GM: Inability of clinical history to distinguish primary snoring from obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in children. Chest, 1995; 152:1297-1301.
- Marcus CL, Carroll JL, Koerner CB, Hamer A, Lutz J, Loughlin GM. Determinants of growth in children with the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. J Pediatr 1994; 125:556-562.
- Marcus CL, Carroll JL, McColley SA, Loughlin GM, Curtis S, Pyzik P, Naidu S. Polysomnographic characteristics of patients with Rett syndrome. J Pediatr 1994; 125:218-224.
- Marcus CL, McColley SA, Carroll JL, Loughlin GM, Smith PL, Schwartz AR. Upper airway collapsibility in children with the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. J Appl Physiol 1994; 77: 918-924.
- Perlman EJ, Lederman HM, Taylor GA, Fasano MB, Loughlin GM, and Zeitlin PL. "Bronchitis" obliterans and prolonged transient hypogammaglobulinemia in a child. Ped Pulmon l6; 375-379, l993.
- Tomares ST, Flotte TR, Tunkel DE, Pao M, and Loughlin GM. Real time laryngoscopy with olfactory challenge for diagnosis of psychogenic stridor. Ped Pulmon l6; 259-262, l993.
- Quigley PM, Yeager AM, Loughlin GM. The effects of bone marrow transplantation on pulmonary function in children. Ped Pulmon 18:361-367, 1994.
- Lemen RJ, Purcel GS, Loughlin GM, Thompson RJ, Wall MA: Task force on research and education for the prevention and control of respiratory disease: Pediatric Lung Disease Chest 102:232S-242S, l992 (supplement).
- McColley SA, April MM, Carroll JL, Naclerio RM, Loughlin GM: Predictors of respiratory compromise (RC) after adenotonsillectomy (T & A) in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg ll8:940-943, l992
- Carroll JL, and Loughlin GM: Diagnostic criteria for obstructive sleep apnea syndrome in children. Pediatric Pulmonology l4:71-74, 1992.
- Flotte TR and Loughlin GM: Use of troleandomycin (TAO) in young children with steroid-dependent asthma. Pediatric Pulmonology 10:178-182, 1991.
- Barnes SD, Leclair J, Forman MS, Townsend TR, Loughlin GM and Charache P: Comparison of nasopharyngeal aspirate and nasal brush for detection of RS. Ped Inf Dis 8:598-601, 1989.
- Zeitlin PL, Wagner M, Markakais D, Loughlin GM and Guggino WB: Steroid Hormones: Modulators of Na absorption and Cl- secretion in cultured tracheal epithelia. Proc Nat'l Acad Sci 86:2502-2505, 1989.
- Hudak B, Allen MC, Hudak ML, Loughlin GM: Home O2 therapy for chronic lung disease in extremely low birthweight infants. AJDC 143:357-360, 1989.
- Zeitlin P, Loughlin GM, Guggino W: Ion transport in cultured fetal and adult rabbit tracheal epithelium. Am J Phys: (Cell Phys) 254, C691, 1988.
- Sauder RA, Chesrown SE, Loughlin GM: Clinical application of trans-epithelial potential difference measurements in cystic fibrosis. J Peds 111:353-358, 1987.
- Barnes SD, Grob, CS, Lachman BS, Marsh, BR, Loughlin GM: Psychogenic upper airway obstruction presenting as refractory wheezing. J Peds 109:1067-1070, 1986.
- Hutchison AA, McNichol KJ, Loughlin GM: The effect of age on pulmonary epithelial permeability in unanesthetized lambs. Ped Pul l:52-57, l985.
- Schnapf B, Banks RM, Silverstein JA, Chesrown SE, Rosenblood A, Loughlin GM: Abnormal lung function in children with IDDM. ARRD 130:930, 1984.
- Pagtakhan RD, Bjelland JC, Landau LI, Loughlin GM, Seeley G and Taussig LM: Sex differences in growth patterns of the airways and lung parenchyma in children. J Appl Physiol 56:1204, 1984.
- Gerenscer GA, Loughlin GM: Extracellular transport properties of aplysia californica intestine. Comp Biochem Physiol 74A:701, 1983.
- Loughlin GM, Gerenscer GA, Crowder MA, Boyd RL, Mangos JA: Fluid fluxes in the ferret trachea. Experientia 38:1451, 1982.
- Loughlin GM: Cystic Fibrosis. Curr Rev Research Lesson 15, 4:115-118, 1982.
- Plaxico DT, Loughlin GM: Nasopharyngeal reflux and neonatal apnea. Am J Dis Child 135:793, 1981.
- Wagener JS, Taussig LM, DeBenedetti C, Lemen RJ, Loughlin GM: Pulmonary function in juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. J Peds 99:108, 1981.
- Loughlin GM, Wynne JW, Victorica BE: Sleep apnea as a possible cause of pulmonary hypertension in Down's syndrome. J Peds 98:435, 1981.
- Loughlin GM, Cota K, Taussig LM: The relationship between flow transients and bronchial lability in cystic fibrosis. Chest 79:206, 1981.
- Cloutier MM, Loughlin GM: Chronic cough in children -- a manifestation of increased airway reactivity. Pediatrics 67:6, 1981.
- Felman AH, Loughlin GM, Leftridge CA, Cassisi N: Radiologic evaluation of upper airway airway obstruction during sleep in children. Am J Roetgenol 133:213, 1979.
- Loughlin GM, Taussig LM: Pulmonary function in children with a history of laryngotracheobronchitis. J Peds 94:356, 1979.
- Matson J, Loughlin GM, Strunk RC: Myocardial ischemia complicating the use of isoproterenol in asthmatic children. J Peds 92:776-778, 1978.
- Loughlin GM, Taussig LM, Strunk RC, Kohnen P, Murphy S: Atypical good pastures syndrome in children. J Peds 93:181, 1978.
- Lightner E, Allen H, Loughlin G: Neonatal hyperthyroidism and heart failure: A differential approach. Am J Dis Child 131:68-70, 1977.
- Marcus CL, Carroll JL, Donnelly DF, Loughlin GM eds. Sleep in Children: Developmental Changes in Breathing Patterns during Sleep. 2nd edition In Lung Biology in Health and Disease, Vol 224 . Informa Healthcare, New York 2008
- Marcus CL, Carroll JL, Donnelly DF, Loughlin GM eds. Sleep in Children: Developmental Changes in Sleep Patterns. 2nd edition In Lung Biology in Health and Disease, Vol 223. Informa Healthcare, New York 2008.
- Loughlin GM, Carroll JL, Marcus CL, eds. Sleep and Breathing in Children: a developmental approach. In: Lung Biology in Health and Disease. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, 2000.
- Loughlin GM and Eigen HE, eds. Lung Disease in Infants and Children: Diagnosis and Management. Williams and Wilkens, Baltimore, MD, 1993.
- Loughlin CE and Loughlin GM. Habit Cough in Pediatric Aerodisgestive Disorders Hartnick CJ, Haver K, Hardy S, Brigger M. eds. Plural Publishing, San Diego, CA in press Â2008.
- Loughlin, GM and Moscona A. The cell biology of acute childhood respiratory disease: therapeutic implications. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Oct; 53(5):929-59 Review.
- Loughlin, GM, Sleep Disorders in Asthma, Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia, and Cystic Fibrosis, In Sleep Disturbance in Disorders of Development, Wiggs L eds. MacKeith Press, London, 2001.
- Loughlin, GM Bronchiolitis and Obstructive Sleep Apnea, In, Essence of Office Pediatrics, JA Stockman and JA Lohr, eds. WB Saunders, New York, 2000.
- Loughlin GM, Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Children: Diagnosis and management, In Sleep and Breathing in Children: a developmental approach, GM Loughlin, JL Carroll and CL Marcus, eds. In Lung Biology in Health and Disease, Marcel Dekker Inc. New York, 2000.
- Loughlin GM. Bronchitis and Bronchiolitis. In: Current Pediatric Therapy. Gellis SM and Kagan BM, eds., l5th edition l995; 16th edition 1998.
- Loughlin GM, Carroll JL: Unexplained Infant Death and Apparent Life Threatening Events. In: Oski FA, DeAngelis C, Feigin RD, and Warshaw JB (eds.), Principles and Practice of Pediatrics, J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, l989, 2nd edition 1994; 3rd edition, 1998.
- Loughlin GM: Bronchitis. In: Disorders of the respiratory tract in children, (Chernick V, Kendig EL eds), May 1983; 4th edition, 1989; 5th edition, 1996; 6th edition, 1998.
- Lefton-Greif MA, Loughlin GM. Specialized studies in pediatric dysphagia. Seminars in Speech and Language 17(4):311-330, November 1996.
- Loughlin GM and Carroll JL: Breathing during sleep in infants and children with lung disease. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, Kryger M. (ed.), l995.
- Carroll JL, Loughlin GM: Obstructive sleep apnea in children: Diagnosis and Management. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, Kryger M. (ed.), l995.
- Carroll JL, Loughlin GM: Obstructive sleep apnea in children: Clinical Features. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, Kryger M. (ed.), l995.
- Carroll JL, Loughlin GM: Primary snoring in children. Principles and Practice of Sleep Medicine, Kryger M. (ed.), l995.
- Loughlin GM and Lefton-Greif M. Respiratory consequences of dysfunctional swallowing. Advances in Pediatrics Vol. 4l, 1994.
- Carroll JL and Loughlin GM. Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Pediatrics in Review l4(3): 83-94, l993.
- Carroll JL, Marcus CL, Loughlin GM. Disorders of breathing control in infants and children. Pediatrics in Review, l4(2):5l-66, l993.
- Loughlin GM: Obstructive sleep apnea in children. In: Advances in Pediatrics. Vol. 39, 1992.
- Loughlin GM and McColley S. Control of ventilation in children with chronic lung disease. In: Control of Breathing in Children. (Hunt CB, Beckerman R, and Brouillette R, eds). Williams and Wilkins, 1992.
- Loughlin GM. Pulmonary Edema. In: Current Pediatric Therapy. (Gellis SM and Kagan BM, eds). 13th Ed, Saunders 1990.
- Loughlin GM: Respiratory consequences of dysfunctional swallowing and aspiration. Dysphagia 3; 1989.
- Loughlin GM, Taussig LM: Upper airway obstruction. Semin Res Med 1:13l-146, 1979.
- Loughlin G, Taussig L: Recent advances in the diagnosis and management of laryngotracheobronchitis and epiglottitis. Ariz Med 23:6, l976.
Honors and Awards
- Voted one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Voted one of New York's Super Doctors, 2012
- George Will Comstock Award from the American Lung Association of Maryland, 1998
- Schaffer Award for the Outstanding Teacher from the Housestaff Department of Pediatrics, The Johns Hopkins Children's Center, 1985
- Outstanding Teacher Award from the Housestaff Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, 1979
- Pediatric Pulmonary Medicine
- Respiratory Disease
- Pediatric Asthma
- Disease of Respiratory System
- Sleep Apnea
- Chronic Lung Disease
- Sleep Disorder
- Gastroesophageal Reflux
Contact and Practices
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- M.D., University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, 1973