Gail J. Roboz, M.D.
Gail J. Roboz, MD is associate professor of medicine and director of the Leukemia Program at the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City.
Dr Roboz graduated summa cum laude from Yale University and received her medical degree from The Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, where she was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and achieved the highest academic standing in the graduating class. She completed her internship in internal medicine at The Beth Israel Hospital in Boston and residency in internal medicine at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Dr Roboz completed her fellowship in hematology and medical oncology at the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. Her research interests are in developmental therapeutics for acute leukemia, myelodysplastic syndrome, and myeloproliferative diseases. Dr Roboz has served as the principal investigator on many clinical trials and has authored or coauthored numerous publications and abstracts. She sits on the editorial boards of and acts as a reviewer for several journals and has played an active role as a speaker and panelist at numerous regional, national, and international conferences.
Fellowship: Hematology/Oncology at New York Presbyterian Hospital, 1997-2000
Residency: New York Presbyterian Hospital, 1995-97
Internship: The Beth Israel Hospital, Boston 1994-95
Medical School: The Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, 1994
Undergraduate: Yale University, 1990
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Casper D, Roboz GJ, Blum M. Epidermal growth factor and basic fibroblast growth factor have independent actions on mesencephalic dopamine neurons in culture. J Neurochem 1994:62(6), 2166-77.
2. Roboz GJ. Case Report: Hepatitis C and B-Cell Lymphoma. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 1998:12(8), 605-609.
3. Roboz GJ and Godwin JH. HIV/AIDS Case Histories: Diagnostic Problems. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 1999:13(1), 57-8.
4. Roboz GJ and Rafii S. Interleukin-5 and the regulation of eosinophil production. Curr Opin Hematol 1999:6,164-68.
5. Roboz GJ, Dias S, Naiyer AJ, Lane W, Soignet SL, Warrell RP Jr., Rafii S. Arsenic trioxide induces dose and time-dependent apoptosis of endothelium and may exert an anti-leukemic effect via inhibition of angiogenesis. Blood 2000:96(4), 1525-1530.
6. Roboz GJ, Knovich MA, Bayer RL, Schuster MW, Seiter K, Powell BL, Woodruff RD, Silver RT, Frankel AE, Feldman EJ. Efficacy and safety of gemtuzumab ozogamicin in patients with poor-prognosis acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma 2002:43(10), 1951-5.
7. Cragg LH, Andreef M, Feldman E, Roberts J, Murgo A, Winning M, Tombes MB, Roboz GJ, Kramer L, Grant S. Phase I Trial and Correlative Laboratory Studies of Bryostatin 1 (NSC 339555) and high-dose 1-B-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine in patients with refractory acute leukemia. Clin Cancer Res 2002:8, 2123-2133.
8. Feldman EJ, Najfeld V, Schuster M, Roboz GJ, Chadburn A, Silver RT. The emergence of Ph-, trisomy 8 cells in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia treated with imatinib mesylate. Exp Hematol 2003:31, 702-707.
9. Blinder VS and Roboz GJ. Hematopoietic Growth Factors in Myelodysplastic Syndromes. Curr Hematol Rep 2003: 2(6), 453-8.
10. Giles FJ, Feldman EJ, Roboz GJ, Larson RA, Mamus SW, Cortes JE, Verstovsek S, Faderl S, Talpaz M, Beran M, Albitar M, OÂBrien SM, Kantarjian HM. Phase II study of troxacitabine, a novel dioxolane nucleoside analog, in patients with untreated or imatinib-resistant chronic myelogenous leukemia in blastic phase. Leuk Res 2003: 27(12), 1091-6.
11. Feldman EJ, Brandwein J, Stone R, Kalaycio M, Moore J, OÂConnor J, Wedel N, Roboz GJ, Miller C, Chopra R, Jurcic JC, Borwn R, Ehmann WC, Schulmann P, Frankel SR, De Angelo D, Scheinberg D. Phase III randomized multicenter study of lintuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone in patients with refractory or first-relapsed acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2005: 23(18), 4110-4116.
12. Giles FJ, Verstovsek S, Faderl S, Vey N, Larp J, Roboz GJ, Khan KD, Cooper M, Bilgrami SF, Ferrant A, Daenen S, Karsten V, Cahill A, Albitar M, Kantarjian H, OÂBrien S, Feldman E. A phase II study of cloretazine (VNP40101M), a novel sulfonylhydrazine alkylating agent, in patients with very high risk relapsed acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Res. 2006 30(12):1591-5.
13. Roboz GJ, Giles FJ, List AF, Cortes JE, Carlin R, Kowalski M, Bilic S, Masson E, Rosamilia M, Schuster MW, Laurent D, Feldman EJ. PTK787/ZK 222584, a novel small molecule tyrosine kinase receptor inhibitor, for the treatment of acute myeloid leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome. Leukemia 2006: 20:952-957.
14. Shore T, Harpel J, Schuster MW, Roboz GJ, Leonard JP, Silver RT, Coleman M, Feldman EJ. A study of a reduced intensity conditioning regimen followed by allogeneic stem cell transplant for patients with hematological malignancies using Campath-1H as part of a graft-versus-host disease strategy. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2006:12(8):868-75.
15. Roberts JD, Smith MR, Feldman EJ, Cragg L, Millenson MM, Roboz GJ, Honeycutt C, Thune R, Padavic-Shaller K, Carter WH, Ramakrishnan V, Murgo AJ, Grant S. Phase I study of bryostatin 1 and fludarabine in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and indolent (non-HodgkinÂs) lymphoma. Clin Cancer Res 2006:12(19), 5809-16.
16. Roboz GJ, Giles FJ, Ritchie EK, Allen-Bard S, Curcio T, Wilkes MA, Park SL, Kantarjian H, Faderl S, Ravandi-Kashani F, Kelner MJ, Feldman EJ. Phase I/II study of troxacitabine administered by continuous infusion in patients with refractory acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2007:25(1), 10-15 (with accompanying editorial: Lowenberg BL. On the road to new drugs in acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2007:25(1), 1-2).
17. Giles FJ, Rizzieri D, Karp J, Vey N, Ravandi F, Faderl S, Khan K, Mufti G, Verhoef G, Wijermans P, Advani A, Roboz GJ, Karsten V, Cahill A, Albitar M, Kantarjian H, OÂBrien S. Cloretazine (VNP40101M), a novel sulfonylhydrazine alkylating agent, has significant activity in patients aged 60 years or more with previously untreated acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2007:25(1), 25-31
(with accompanying editorial: Lowenberg, BL. On the road to new drugs in acute myeloid leukemia. J Clin Oncol 2007:25(1), 1-2).
18. Guilhot F, Apperley J, Kim DW, Bullorsky E, Baccarani M, Roboz GJ, Amadori S, Souza M, Lipton J, Hochhaus A, Gratwohl A, Larson R, Branford S, Mueller MC, Agarwal P, Gollerkeri A, Talpaz M. Dasatinib induces significant and durable hematologic and cytogenetic responses in patients with imatinib-resistant or intolerant chronic myeloid leukemia in accelerated phase. Blood 2007:109(10), 4143-50.
19. Giles FJ, List AF, Carroll M, Cortes JE, Valickas J, Chen BL, Masson E, Jacques C, Laurent D, Albitar M, Feldman EJ, Roboz GJ. PTK787/ZK 222584,
a small molecule tyrosine kinase receptor inhibitor of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), has modest activity in myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasia. Leukemia Res 2007:31(7),891-7.
20. Roboz GJ. Acute myeloid leukemia in the elderly. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2007:7(3), 285-95.
21. Roboz GJ, Bennett JM, Coleman M, Ritchie EK, Furman RR, Rossi A,
Jhaveri K, Feldman EJ, Leonard JP. Therapy-related myelodysplastic syndrome and acute myeloid leukemia following initial treatment with chemotherapy plus radioimmunotherapy for indolent non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Leukemia Res 2007:31(8), 1141-4.
22. Feldman EJ, Cortes J, DeAngelo D, Holyoake T, Simonsson B, OÂBrien SG, Reiffers J, Turner AR, Roboz GJ, Lipton J, Maloisel F, Colombat P, Martinelli G, Nielsen JL, Petersdorf S, Guilhot F, Barker J, Kirschmeier P, Frank E, Statkevich P, Zhu Y, Loechner S, List A. On the use of lonafarnib in myelodysplastic syndrome and chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. Leukemia 2008:22(9), 1707-11.
23. Roboz GJ, Ritchie EK, Curcio T, Provenzano J, Calrin R, Samuel M, Wittenberg B, Mazumdar M, Christos PJ, Mathew S, Allen-Bard S, Feldman EJ. Arsenic trioxide and low-dose cytarabine in older patients with untreated acute myeloid leukemia, excluding acute promyelocytic leukemia. Cancer 2008, Sep 29, epub ahead of print.
24. Roboz, GJ. Arsenic and Old Lace: Novel Approaches in Elderly Patients with Acute Myeloid Leukemia. Accepted for publication, Seminars in Hematol, 2008.
Honors and Awards
Summa cum laude, Yale University 1990
Distinction in the Major, Yale University 1990
Clerkship Honors, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine 1992-94
Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology,
Psychiatry, Community Medicine, Otolaryngology,
Ophthalmology, Medicine Sub-Internship, Pediatrics
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society 1993
Harold Elster Memorial Prize for Highest Academic Standing in the Graduating Class 1994
American Society of Hematology Travel Award 1998
The Lupin Foundation, Research Grant Awards 2001-04
Madoff Family Clinical Scholar in Hematology/Oncology, Weill Medical College of Cornell University 2004
Weill Cornell Physician Organization ÂWe CareÂ Award 2005
Research Grant Award, Myeloproliferative Disorders Foundation 2006
Research Grant Award, Katherine John Murphy Foundation 2007, 2008
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia
- AML (Acute Myelogenous Leukemia)
- Essential Thrombocythemia
- Aplastic Anemia
- Polycythemia Vera
- Myeloproliferative Disease
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome
- Chronic Lymphoid Leukemia
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia
Contact and Practices
- Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology
- M.D., Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1994