Dix Phillip Poppas, M.D., F.A.A.P., F.A.C.S.
Voted one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors, 2014
Recipient, Best of Manhattan Award in the Medical Office category, Manhattan Award Program, 2014
Dix P. Poppas, M.D. is Professor and Chief of the Institute for Pediatric Urology at the Komansky Center for Children's Health of New York -Presbyterian Hosptial Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is the Richard Rodgers Professor of Pediatric Urology in the James Buchanan Brady Department of Urology at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Poppas holds joint appointments as Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical College and Professor of Plastic and Reconstructive Sugery at Weill Cornell Medical College.
His practice is limited to pediatric urology with special interest in genital reconstruction, laparoscopic and robotic surgery, surgical aspects of disorders of sexual development and minimally invasive procedures for treating vesicoureteral reflux. Dr. Poppas has extensive experience in minimally invasive surgery and pediatric laparoscopy. He was chosen as one of the "Top One Hundred Minimally Invasive Surgeons in New York" and was the only pediatric urologist to be selected and is listed as one of New York's Top Doctors and Best Doctors in America.
He completed his residency in urology at New York Hospital-Cornell Medical School (1990-1994) and his fellowship in Pediatric Urology at Boston Children's Hospital-Harvard Medical School (1994-1996) He serves as co-director of the Laboratory for Minimally Invasive Urologic Surgery where his efforts are focused on developing advanced laparoscopic and Robotic surgical techniques for tissue reconstruction using novel tissue sealants to replace sutures and staples during surgery, as well as investigating the mechanisms and potential treatments for inhibiting and reversing fibrosis in the obstructed kidney using antibodies and gene therapy strategies. Dr. Poppas is a diplomate of The American Board of Urology, Fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
He has been awarded The E. Darracott Vaughan Young Investigator Award by the National Kidney Foundation, The Edwin Beer Award of The New York Academy of Medicine, and was selected as an American Foundation for Urologic Disease/National Kidney Foundation Research Scholar.
For more information:
Minimal Access Surgery Center
H.S. Diploma 1976
J.R. Tucker High School, Richmond, V.A.
Longwood College, Farmville, VA.
B.S. Biology (Honors) 1982
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, VA 1980-1982
Paramedic Degree 1984,Medical College of Virginia 1983-1984
M.D. 1988, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA., 1984-1988
Non degree program Health Care Executive Management Program, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Certificate of completion 2002
Non degree program, Advanced Executive Management Program, Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Certificate of completion 2003
Non degree program The Wharton Executive Management Program for Academic Surgery Leaders. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Care Economics, The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
Certificate of completion 2005
PROFESSIONAL POSITIONS AND EMPLOYMENT
Intern in General Surgery
Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine
Norfolk, VA 7/88 to 6/89
Resident in General Surgery
Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine, Norfolk, VA 7/89 to 6/90
Assistant Urologist (Resident) New York Hospital, New York, NY 7/90 to 6/93
New York Hospital, New York, NY 7/93 to 6/94
Fellow-in-Pediatric Urology (Surgery)Children#146;s Hospital-Harvard Medical School 7/94 to 6/96
Academic positions (teaching and research)
Visiting Fellow in Urology
Cornell University Medical Center, New York 7/94 to 6/96
Assistant Professor of Urology
Cornell University Medical Center, New York 7/96 to 11/01
The Richard Rodgers Family Assistant Professor of Pediatric Urology
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 1/97 to 11/01
Assistant Professor of Urology in Surgery (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 10/97 to 6/04
Assistant Professor of Urology in Pediatrics (Department of Pediatrics)
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 4/99 to 11/01
Associate Professor of Urology
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 12/01 to present
Associate Professor of Urology in Pediatrics (Department of Pediatrics)
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 12/01 to present
The Richard Rodgers Family Associate Professor of Pediatric Urology
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 12/01 to present
Associate Professor of Urology in Surgery (Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery)
Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, NY 7/04 to present
Associate Professor of Urology in Obstetrics and Gynecology (Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology)
Weill Medical College of Cornell University
New York, NY 7/04 to present
Assistant Attending Urologist
New York Presbyterian Hospital 7/96 to 11/01
Associate Attending Urologist
New York Presbyterian Hospital 12/01 to present
Attending in Surgery
The New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens 1/02 to present
Employment (other than positions listed above)
Clinical Consultant Promethean Surgical Devices, LLC, Woburn, MA. 6/00 to present
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS (medical and scientific societies)
Member Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society 1988 to present
Member American Urologic Association 1990 to present
Fellow American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery 1989 to 2001
Fellow American College of Surgeons 1998 to present
Member Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society 1990 to present
Member The New York Section American Urological Association 1996 to present
Member Society for Pediatric Urology 1996 to present
Member The Hellenic Medical Society of New York 1996 to present
Member Society for Fetal Urology 1997 to present
Member The New York Clinical Society 1998 to present
Fellow American Academy of Pediatrics 1998 to present
Diplomat American Board of Urology 1999 to present
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Hubbard, J., Shirwany, T., Poppas, D., and Kalimi, M.: Rapid, High Temperature Glucocorticoid Receptor Exchange Assay. The Virginia Journal of Science, 138, June 1984.
- Kalimi, M., Hubbard, J., Poppas, D., and Shirwany,T.: Glucocorticoid Regulation of Hepatic Glucocorticoid Receptors In Vivo and its Relationship to Induction of Tyrosine Amino Transferase Activity. Published in The Proceedings of the 7th International Congress of Endocrinology, # 650,1984.
- Hubbard, J., Mattmueller, D., Steinberg, J., Poppas, D., and Sledge C.: Effect of Steroid Hormones on Endotoxin-mediated Cartilage Degradation. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 79: 31-37,1988.
- Poppas, D., Schlossberg, S., Richmond, I., Gilbert, D., and Devine, Jr., C.: Laser Welding in Urethral Surgery: Improved Results with a Protein Solder. J. Urology, 139:415-417, 1988.
- Ganesan, G., Poppas, D., Schlossberg, S., and Devine, JR., C.: Urethral Reconstruction Using the CO2 Laser: An Experimental Evaluation. J. of Urology, 142:1139-1141, 1989.
- Sosa, E. R., Weingram, J., Poppas, D., and Lyons, J.: Physiological Considerations in Laparoscopic Surgery in Urology. J. Endourology, Vol 6, No.2: 85-87, 1992.
- Poppas, D., Rooke, C., Schlossberg, S.: Optimal Parameters for CO2 Laser Reconstruction of Urethral Tissue Using a Protein Solder. J. of Urology, 148:220-224, 1992.
- Choma, T., Poppas, D., Rooke, C., Schlossberg, S.: Patch Graft Urethroplasty with the CO2 Laser in the Rabbit: A Pre-Clinical Study. Lasers Surg. Med., 12:639-644, 1992.
- Rooke, C., Poppas, D., Schlossberg, S.: Patch Graft Urethroplasty in the Rat Using a CO2 Laser. Urology, 41(6):585-589, 1993.
- Poppas, D., Mininberg, D., Spencer, J., Hyacinth, L., and Schlossberg, S.: Patch Graft Urethroplasty Using Dye Enhanced Laser Tissue Welding with a Human Protein Solder: A Pre-Clinical Canine Model. J. of Urology, 150:648-650, 1993.
- Poppas, D., Sutaria, P., Sosa, E., Mininberg, D., and Schlossberg, S.: Chromophore Enhanced Laser Welding of Canine Ureters In Vitro Using a Human Protein Solder: A Preliminary Step for Laparoscopic Tissue Welding. J. of Urology, 150:1052-1055, 1993
- Poppas, D., Choma, T., Rooke, C., Schlossberg, S.: Preparation of Human Albumin Solder for Laser Tissue Welding. Lasers Surg. Med., 13:577-580, 1993.
- Poppas, D.P., Sosa, R.E., and Schlossberg, S.M.: Can Lasers Deliver a Sutureless Anastomosis to Urology?. Contemporary Urology, Vol. 5, No. 10, October 1993.
- Poppas, D.P., Schlossberg, S.M.: Laser Tissue Welding in Urologic Surgery. Urology, 43, No 2:143-148, 1994.
- Klioze, S., Poppas, D., Rooke, C., Choma, T., and Schlossberg, S.: Development and Initial Application of a Real Time Thermal Control System for Laser Tissue Welding. J. of Urology, 152, 744-748, 1994.
- Gardner, T.A., Wei, J, Poppas, D.P., and Blaivas, J.G.: Volvulus of the Ileal Conduit: A Late Complication. J. Urology, 152:948-950, 1994.
- Uzzo, R., Poppas, D., Schuman, R., Vaughan, Jr., E.: An Unusual Cause of Duodenal Obstruction: Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction and the Renoalimentary Relationship. Urology, 44, No.3:433-436, 1994.
- Lemack, GE., Poppas, DP., and Vaughan, Jr., ED.: Urologic Causes for Gynecomastia: Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment. Urology, 45:313-319, 1995.
- Poppas, D., Klioze, S., Uzzo, R., and Schlossberg, S.: Temperature Controlled Burst Strength Measurements of Various Sutures Used in Laser Tissue Welding. Urology, 45:253-257, 1995.
- Poppas, D., Uzzo, R., Retik, A.: Use of a Catheter Limiter During Intermittent Catheterization. Urology, 45:1049-1051, 1995.
- Britanisky, R., Poppas, D.P. Sosa, R.E., D.T. Mininberg.: Laparoscopic Laser Assisted Bladder Autoaugmentation. Urology, 46:31-35, 1995.
- Uzzo, R.G., Lemack G.E., and Poppas, D.P.: Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgery Utilizing Laser Tissue Welding. Tech. Urology, 2 (1): 1-18, 1995.
- Poppas, D., Lemack, G., and Mininberg, M.: Laparoscopic Orchiopexy: Clinical Experience and Description of Technique. J. Urology, 155:708-711, 1996.
- Poppas, D., Uzzo, R., Britanisky, R., Wright, J., Mininberg, D.: Laparoscopic Laser Assisted Autoaugmentation of the Pediatric Neurogenic Bladder: Early Experience with Urodynamic Follow- up. J. Urology, 155:1057-1060, 1996.
- Poppas, D, Stewart, B., Massicotte, M., Wolga, A., Kung, R., Retik, A. and Freeman, M.: Temperature Controlled Laser Photocoagulation of Soft Tissue: In Vivo Evaluation Using a Tissue Welding Model. Lasers Surg. Med., 18:335-344, 1996.
- Poppas, D.P., Gillis, L.A., and Retik, A.B.: Balloon-Wire Retrieval of a Migrated Urethral Stent in the Early Postoperative Period. Urology, 47:915-917, 1996.
- Poppas, D., Wright, E., Guthrie, P., and Schlossberg, S.: Human Albumin Solders for Clinical Application During Laser Tissue Welding. Lasers Surg Med., 19:2-8, 1996.
- Poppas, D., Massicotte, M., Stewart, R., Atala, A., Retik, A., and Freeman, M.: Human Albumin Solder Supplemented withTGF-1 Accelerates Healing Following Laser Welded Wound Closure. Lasers Surg. Med., 19:360-368, 1996.
- Wolf, S.J., Soble, J.J., Nakada, S.Y., Clayman, R.V., and Poppas, D.P.: Comparison of Fibrin Glue, Laser Weld, and Mechanical Suturing Device for the Laparoscopic Closure of Ureterotomy in a Porcine Model. J. Urology, 157:1487-1492, 1997
- Poppas, D, Uzzo, R, Bilsky, M.: Effect of Pneumoperitoneum on Intracranial Pressure During Pediatric Laparoscopic Surgery: Preliminary Experience. Urology, 49:753-757, 1997.
- Wright, EJ., Poppas, DP., and Schlossberg, SM.: Comparison of Multiple Laser Wavelengths and Human Albumin Solder for Laser Tissue Welding of the Ureter. Techniques in Urology 3(3):176- 181, 1997.
- Massicotte, M., Stewart, B., and Poppas, D.: Effects of Endogenous Absorption in Human Albumin Solder for Acute Laser Wound Closure. Lasers Surg Med., 23:18-24, 1998.
- Poppas, D., Folkman, J, Voest, E., Chen, X., Luster, A., Weingartner, C., and OÂDonnell, M.: Intravesical Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) Induces the Antiangiogenic Chemokine Interferon-Inducible Protein-10. Urology, 52(2): 268-276, 1998.
- Pavlovich, C.P., Gmyrek, G.A., Gardner, T.A., Poppas, D.P., and Mininberg, D.T.: Transinguinal Laparoscopy Using Flexible Scopes: Urologic Instruments to Assess the Contralateral Inguinal Ring. Techniques in Urology, 4:3, 141-144, 1998.
- Lauto A, Poppas DP, and Murrell GAC: Solubility Study of Albumin solders for Laser Tissue Welding. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 23:258-262, 1998.
- Phillips, ABM., Ginsburg, BY., Shin, SJ., Soslow, R., Ko, W., and Poppas, DP.: Laser Welding for Vascular Anastomosis Using Albumin Solder: An Approach for MID-CAB. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 24:264-268, 1999.
- Poppas, DP, Bleustein, CB, and Peters, CA: Box Stitch Modification of Hasson Technique for Pediatric Laparoscopy. J. Endourology, 13(6), 447-450, August 1999.
- Lauto, A., Kirman, I., Felsen, D., and Poppas, D.: Two-Layer Film as a Laser Soldering Device. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 25:250-256, 1999.
- Fung, L.C.T., Mingin, G.C., Massicotte, M., Felsen, D and Poppas, D.: Effects of Temperature on Tissue Thermal Injury and Wound Strength Following Photothermal Wound Closure. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 25:285-290, 1999.
- Kirman, I., Lauto, A., Phillips, A., Hamawy, A., Heldman, Eli, Felsen, D., and Poppas, D.: Effect of Laser Welding with Human Albumin on Expression of P-Selectin on Platelets. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 25:438-444, 1999.
- Cuomo, BE., Lauto, A., Kirman, I., Felsen, D., and Poppas, D.: Assessment of the Degradation of Denatured Albumin Solder by Human Urine. J. Urology, 163:634-637, 2000.
- Bleustein, CB., Cuomo, B., Mingin, GC., Ohebshalom, M., Shin, SJ., Stewart, RB., Felsen, D., Soslow, RA., Sennett M., and Poppas, DP.: Laser-Assisted Demucosalized Gastrocystoplasty with Autoaugmentation in a Canine Model. Urology, 55 93 0:437-442, 2000.
- Bleustein CB, Felsen D, and Poppas DP: Welding Characteristics of Different Albumin Species With and Without Fatty Acids. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 27:82-86, 2000.
- Yao, D, and Poppas, D.: A Clinical Series of Laparoscopic Nephrectomy, Nephorureterectomy and Partial Nephrecotomy with Ureterectomy in the Pediatric Population: J. Urology, 163:1531-1535, 2000.
- Bleustein CB, Felsen, D and Poppas DP: Semi-Solid Albumin Solder for Laser Tissue Welding. Lasers in Medicine and Surgery, 27:140-146, 2000.
- Miyajima A, Chen J, Kirman I, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED Jr, and Felsen D.: Interaction of Nitric Oxide and Transforming Growth Factor-Ã -1 induced by Angiotensin II and Mechanical Stretch in Rat Renal Tubular Epithelial Cell. J. Urology, Vol. 164, 1729-1734, 2000.
- Poppas, DP and Wei, JT.: The Concealed Laparoscopic Orchidopexy. British Journal of Urology, 86: 138-139, 2000.
- Pavlovich, CP., Kralintg, BM., Stewart, RJ., Chen X., Bochner, BH., Luster, AD., Poppas, DP., and OÂDonnell, MA.: BCG-Induced Urinary Cytokines Inhibit Microvascular Endothelial Cell Proliferation. Journal of Urology. 163(6): 2014-21, 2000.
- Miyajima A, Chen J, Lawrence C, Ledbetter S, Pigato J, Lemer M, Stern J, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED Jr, Felsen, D. Antibody to TGF-beta Ameliorates Tubular Apoptosis In Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction. Kid Int. 58:23012313, 2000.
- Hochberg D., Johnson CW, Chen J, Cohen D, Stern J, Vaughan ED Jr, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Interstitial Fibrosis of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction is Exacerbated in Kidneys of Mice Lacking the Gene for Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase. Lab. Invest 80:1721-1728, 2000.
- Bleustein CB, Sennett M, Kung RTV, Felsen D, Poppas DP, and Stewart RB: Differential Scanning Calorimetry of Albumin Solders: Interspecies Differences and Fatty Acid Binding effects the Protein Denaturation. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 27:465-470, 2000.
- Rucker, GB., Scherr, DS., and Poppas, DP.: Laser Tissue Welding Â Poised for the New Millennium. Surgical Technology International, 9:33-38, 2001.
- Esposito, MP., Bleustein, CB., Felsen,D, and Poppas, DP.: Mechanism of Healing Following Snodgrass Hypospadias Repair. J. Urology, 165:277-279, 2001.
- Lauto, A., Stewart, R., Ohebshalom, M., Felsen, D., and Poppas D.P.: The Impact of Moisture on Laser Tissue Soldering with Solid Albumin. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 28:44-49, 2001.
- Lauto, A, Hamawy, A.H., Phillips, A.B.M., Petratos, P.B., Raman, J., Felsen, D., Ko W. and Poppas, DP: Carotid Artery Anastomosis with Albumin Solder and Near Infrared Lasers: A comparative Study. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 28:50-55, 2001.
- Miyajima A, Chen J, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED Jr, and Felsen, D.: Role of Nitric Oxide in Renal Tubular Apoptosis of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction. Kidney International, 59:1290-1303, 2001.
- Lauto A, Ohebshalom M, Esposito M. Mingin J. Li PS, Felsen D, Goldstein M and Poppas DP: Self-Expandable Chitosan Stent: Design and Preparation. Biomaterials 22(13): 1869-74, 2001.
- Talmor M, Bleustein C, and Poppas D: Laser Tissue Welding: A Biotechnological Advance For the Future. Arch of Facial Plastic Surgery, 3:207-213, 2001.
- Stewart RB, Bleustein CB, Petratos PB, Chin K, Poppas DP, and Kung RTV.: Highly Concentrated Autologous Serum : Biochemically Neutral Solders for Tissue Welding. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, 29:336-342, 2001.
- Petratos P, Bleustein C, Baergen R, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Ex Vivo Evaluation of Human Fetal Membrane Closure Techniques. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 30:48-53, 2002.
- Pareek G, Specht M, Lin D, Petratos P, Fahey T, Soslow R, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Hand-Assisted Demucosalized Gastrocystoplasty Comparing Different Tissue Closure. Urology, 58(4): 625-630, 2001.
- Petratos P, Rucker B, Soslow R, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Evaluation of Octylcyanoacrylate in Wound Repair of Clinical Circumcision and Human Skin Incisional Healing in a Nude Rat Model. J. Urology 167P677-679, 2002.
- Gmyrek, GA, New, MI, Sosa, RE, Poppas, DP: Bilateral Laparoscopic Adrenalectomy as a Treatment for Classic Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Due to 21- Hydroxylase Deficiency. J. of Pediatrics, 109 (2):e29, 2002.
- Petratos P, Chen J, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Local Pharmaceutical Release from a New Hydrogel Implant. Journal of Surgical Research, 103,55-60, 2002.
- Rivera A, Walker BS, Bleustein CB, Felsen D, Sadelain M, and Poppas DP: Enhanced Adenoviral Vector Mediated Gene Transfer Human Serum Albumin Solder. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 30:313-319, 2002.
- Petratos P, Ito K, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Cross Linked Matrix Tissue Sealant Protects Against Mortality and Hemorrhage in an Acute Renal Injury Model in Heparinized Rats. J. Urology 167: 222-2224, 2002.
- Specht M, Pareek G, Lin D, Bleustein C, Fahey T, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Autoaugmentation Gastrocystoplasy. Surgical Endoscopy, July, 2002)
- Petratos P, Felsen D, McPherson J, and Poppas, D: Transforming Growth Factor-beta 2 (TGF-2) Reverses the Inhibitory Effects of Fibrin Sealant on Cutaneous Wound Repair in the Pig. Wound Repair and Regeneration 10 (4):252-258, 2002.
- Felsen D, Dardashti K, Ostad M, Lemer M, Gross S, Chen J, Vaughan E and Poppas D: Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase (iNOS) Promotes Pathophysiological consequences of Experimental Bladder Outlet Obstruction. J. Urology 169:1569-1572, 2003.
- Petratos P, Bleustein C, Soslow R, Felsen D, and Poppas D: Full Thickness Human Foreskin Transplantation onto Nude Rats: As an In Vivo Model of Acute Human Wound Healing. J. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 111:No. 6, 1988-1997, 2003.
- Cilento B, Diamond D, Yeung C, Manzoni G, Poppas D, Hensle T: Laparoscopically Assisted Ureterocystoplasty. BJU 91, 526-527, 2003.
- Stahl P, Tash J and Poppas D: Deep Hemangioma of the Scrotum as a Rare Presentation of Scrotal Mass in Children. BJU International, 91.9cr, June 2003.
- Schnitzer JJ, Donahoe PK, Tash J, Poppas D: Single-Stage Surgical Reconstruction for Infants with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. The Endocrinologist, 13:No 3, 190-194, 2003.
- David S and Poppas D: Henoch-Schonlein Purpura Involving the Glans Penis. Urology 61:1035, 2003.
- Munver R, Del Pizzo J, Sosa E, Poppas D: Minimally Invasive Surgical Management of Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction: Laparoscopic and Robot-Assisted Laparoscopic Pyeloplasty. J. Long Term Effects of Medical Implants, 13:367-384, 2003.
- Ito K, Chen J, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED, Jr., Seshan SV and Felsen D. Dietary L-arginine Supplementation Improves Both Glomerular Filtration Rate and Renal Blood Flow after 24 Hours of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction in Rats. J. Urology 171, 926-930, 2004.
- Stern J, Stahl J, Felsen D, Poppas D. Effect of Testosterone on Angiogenesis in a Xenograft Model of Human Skin Healing. Urology 63: 999-1003, 2004.
- Ito K*, Chen J, El Chaar M, Stern J, Seshan S, Khodadadian J, Eaton C, Poppas D, Vaughan ED, Felsen D Liposome-mediated Transfer of Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase Gene into the Kidney. Kidney International 66: 1365-75, 2004. [With cover photo].
- Ito K, Chen J, Tomohiko A, Vaughan ED Jr, Poppas DP, Hayakawa M, Felsen D. Liposome-mediated Gene Therapy in the Kidney. Human Cell 17:17-28, 2004.
- Ito K, Chen J, El Chaar M, Stern JM, Seshan SV,. Khodadadian JJ, Richardson I, Hyman MJ, Vaughan ED Jr, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Renal Damage Progresses Despite Improvement of Renal Function After Relief of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction (UUO) in Adult Rats. Am J Physiol Renal 287: F1283F1293, 2004.
- Vaughan ED Jr, Marion D, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Pathophysiology of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction: Studies from Charlottesville to New York. J. Urol, 172:6, 2563-2569, 2004.
- Stern J, Chen J, Silver RB, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED Jr, Felsen D. Effect of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction on Dopamine1A Receptor Reveals a Link between Dopamine, Transforming Growth Factor-β and Nitric Oxide. American J. Physiol [Renal], 286: 509-515, 2004.
- David S, and Poppas D: Nerve Sparing Extravesical Ureteral Reimplantation: Description of Technique and Evaluation of Urinary Retention in Bilateral Cases. J. Urology, 2004.
- Schiff S, Kelly C, Goldstein M, Schlegel P and Poppas D: Managing varicoceles in children: results with microsurgical varicocelectomy. Urology 399-403, 2005.
- El Chaar M, Chen J, Stern JM, Seshan SV, Poppas DP, Vaughan ED Jr, Felsen D. Renal COX-2 in Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction (UUO): Pattern of Expression and Role in Interstitial Fibrosis. Journal of Urology. In Press, 2005.
- El Chaar MM, Attia E, Chen J, Hannafin J, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Effects of a Cyclooxygenase-2 Inhibitor on Matrix Synthesis in Stretched Fibroblasts. Submitted, Nephrology, 2004.
- Ito K, Chen J, Seshan SV, Khodadadian JJ, Gallagher R, El Chaar M, Vaughan ED Jr, Poppas DP, Felsen D. Dietary Arginine Supplementation Attenuates Renal Damage after Relief of Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction in Rats. Submitted, Kidney International, 2004.
- Poppas D, Chaar M, Kelly C and New M: Clitoral Sensitivity and Viability Following a Modified Reduction Clitoroplasty with Follow-up Evaluation in 23 Patients. (In Preparation, J. Urology, 2004)
- Kellner D*, Chen J, Seshan S, Poppas D, Vaughan ED, Felsen D. Losartan, an Angiotensin II (AII) Receptor Antagonist, Decreases Apoptosis and Macrophage Infiltration in Unilateral Ureteral Obstruction (UUO) in Rats. (In Preparation)
- Broadbelt NV. Stahl PJ. Chen J. Mizrahi M. Lal A. Bozkurt A. Poppas DP. Felsen D. Early upregulation of iNOS mRNA expression and increase in NO metabolites in pressurized renal epithelial cells. American Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology. 293(6):F1877-88, 2007 Dec.
- Yang J. Felsen D. Poppas DP. Nerve sparing ventral clitoroplasty: analysis of clitoral sensitivity and viability. Journal of Urology. 178(4 Pt 2):1598-601, 2007 Oct.
- Poppas DP. Hochsztein AA. Baergen RN. Loyd E. Chen J. Felsen D. Nerve sparing ventral clitoroplasty preserves dorsal nerves in congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 178(4 Pt 2):1802-6; discussion 1806, 2007 Oct.
- El Chaar M. Chen J. Seshan SV. Jha S. Richardson I. Ledbetter SR. Vaughan ED Jr. Poppas DP. Felsen D. Effect of combination therapy with enalapril and the TGF-beta antagonist 1D11 in unilateral ureteral obstruction. American Journal of Physiology - Renal Physiology. 292(4):F1291-301, 2007
- Poppas DP and Felsen D. Editorial Comment. Urology 69: 564, 2007
- Biocompatibility and Assessment and InVivo Trial of Novel Synthetic Biometerial for Bladder Augmentation. American Urologic Association Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 2007.
- Feasibility of Biofeedback Therapy to Treat Discoordinate Voding in Children with Associated Developmental, Behavioral and/or Neurologic Disorders. American Urologic Association Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 2007.
- Dorsal Nerve Preservation in Modified Reduction Clitoroplasty in Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH). American Urologic Association Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 2007.
- Semi-disposable, Programmable, Pressurized Cell Culture System to Study iNOS mRNA Expression and NO Metabolites in Renal Epithelial Cells. Biomedical Engineering Society, Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, 2007.
- Transforming Growth Factor (TGF)-beta Regulates the Fibrotic Phenotype in Human Vocal Fold Fibroblasts. The Voice Foundations 36th Annual Symposium: Care of the Professional Voice and The International Association of Phonosurgerys 8th International Symposium on Phonosurgery. Philadelphia, June 2007.
- Kalimi, M., Poppas, D., Shirwany, T., and Hubbard, J.:Cellular Antagonists of Glucocorticoid Receptor Binding, In: Adrenal Steroid Antagonism, Edited by M. K. Agarwal, Walter De Gruyter, Berlin, New York, 1984.
- Schlossberg, S., Poppas, D.: CO2 Laser Microsurgery and Welding, In: Lasers in Urologic Surgery, Second Edition, Edited by J. Smith, Year Book Medical Publishers, Inc., Chicago, 1988.
- Schlossberg, S., Poppas, D.: Tissue Welding with Lasers, In: Seminars in Urology, Edited by E.Darracott Vaughan, Jr. M.D., W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA., Vol. 9, No. 3, August 1991.
- Sosa, R.E., Poppas, D.P., Schlegel, P.N., and Lyons, J.M.: Laparoscopic Surgery in Urology. In: Campbell's Urology Update, Edited by Patrick C. Walsh, M.D., et.al., W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA, Update #2, July, 1992.
- Poppas, D.P., Gomella, L.G., and Sosa, E.R.: Basic Laparoscopy: Pneumoperitoneum and Trocar Placement. In Laparoscopic Urologic Surgery, Edited by Leonard G. Gomella, M.D., Raven Press, New York, NY., 1994.
- Mininberg, D.T., and Poppas, D.P.: Cryptorchidism. In: Current Therapy in Endocrinology and Metabolism, Fifth Edition, Edited by C. Wayne Bardin, Mosby-Year Book Co., 1994.
- Poppas, D.P., Schlegel P.N., and Sosa, R.E.: Varicocelectomy-Laparoscopic Approach. In: Surgery of Male Infertility, Edited by Marc Goldstein, M.D., W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA., 1995.
- Poppas, D.P., Sosa, R.E., and Schlossberg, S.: Laparoscopic Laser Tissue Welding. In Controversies in Endourology, Edited by Arthur D. Smith, W. B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA., 1995.
- Poppas, D.P.: Physiologic Changes and Complications in Pediatric Laparoscopic Surgery. Guest Editor: D.P. Poppas, M.D., Edited by Richard M. Ehrlich, M.D., Dialogues in Pediatric Urology.18(9):1-8, 1995.
- Poppas, D.P., and Sosa, R.E.: Tissue Approximation. In Textbook of Endourology, Edited by R.E. Sosa, M.D., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA., 1996.
- Poppas, D.P. and Bauer, S.B.: Urologic Management of the Myelodysplasic Child. American Urologic Association Update Series, Lesson 36 Volume XVI, 1997.
- Lemack, G.E., Uzzo, R.G., and Poppas, D.P.: The Effects of Stress on Male Reproductive Function. Edited by J.R. Hubbard, Ph.D., M.D., CRC Press, FL. 1997.
- Scherr, D.S. and Poppas, D.P.: Laser Tissue Welding. In: Technological Advances in Urology: Urology in the Twenty First Century. Urologic Clinics of North America. Edited by Loughlin, K.R., W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, PA., 1998.
- Scherr, D.S. and Poppas, D.P.: Laser Tissue Welding in Urological Surgery. American Urologic Association Update Series. AUA Update Series, Lesson 22, vol. 17, 1998.
- Atlas of Clinical Urology: Volume IV, Pediatric Urology, Editors: D. Poppas and A Retik, Current Medicine, Philadelphia, PA., January, 2003.
- Rucker GB and Poppas DP. The Surgical Management of Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia. In: Renal & Adrenal Tumors, A Belldegrun, A Ritchie, R Figlin, R Oliver, ED Vaughan Jr. (Eds.) Oxford University Press, 2003, (Chapter 56, pp. 566-573).
- Poppas, D.: Restorative Surgical Options for the Female Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Patient. In: Parent Guide to Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia, Edited by S. Rivkees. (In Press)
- Boorjian S, Schwartz M, Poppas D. Surgery of the Adrenal. In: Clinical Pediatric Urology, Fifth edition, Edited by S. Socimo, D. Canning and A. Khoury, (In Press)
- Poppas, D: Robotic Pyeloplasty. In: Textbook of Laparoscopc Urology, Edited by Gill I. (In Press)
- Second World Congress on Disorders of Sexual Development and Hypospadias: Lecture: Clitoroplasty in the CAH Patient, Technique and Outcome, Rome Italy, November 2007.
Honors and Awards
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Voted one of New York Magazine's Best Doctors, 2008, 2011, 2014
- Voted one of Castle Connelly's Top Doctors in New York, 2007
- Listed in Best Doctors in America, 2007
- Voted one of America#146;s Top Doctors: New York Metro Area,Castle Connolly Guide, 2003-2004
- Selected, #147;Top 100 Minimally Invasive Surgeons" in New York (only pediatric urologist to be listed), New York Magazine, 2002 -2003
- Voted one of America#146;s Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, Castle Connolly Guide, 2002 -2003
- The Edwin Beer Award of The New York Academy of Medicine, 2001-2003
- The E. Darracott Vaughan Young Investigator Award, National Kidney Foundation of New York and New Jersey, 2001-2002
- Second place award for Basic Science Research Essay, The New England Section, American Urologic Association, Newport, RI, September 1995
- The New York Academy of Medicine/Ferdinand C. Valentine Research Fellowship Scholar, 1994-1995
- Von L. Meyer Fellowship Award, Children's Hospital #150; Harvard Medical School, 1994-1995
- American Foundation for Urologic Disease/National Kidney Foundation Scholar, 1994-1995
- Best Basic Science Research Paper, Society for University Urology Residents, Lake Tahoe, CA, April 1994
- Best Paper, The Society of Genitourinary Reconstructive Surgeons Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 1992
- First place award for Basic Science Research in Pediatric Urology, American Academy of Pediatrics, Section of Urology, Washington, DC, October 1993
- First place for best research as a surgery resident, presented at the Eastern Virginia Graduate School of Medicine, Resident Research Essay Contest, December 1990
- Third place Mead-Johnson Award for Overall Excellence in Research, presented at the National Student Research Forum, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, 1987
- Second place award for Best Oral Presentation by a Medical Student, presented at the Eastern Student Research Forum, University of Miami School of Medicine, Miami, FL, 1987
- Eastern Virginia Medical School Summer Student Research Scholar 1985 and 1986
- American Foundation for Urologic Disease Summer Student Research Scholar 1985
- Pediatric Urology
- Congenital Anomaly of Bladder
- Congenital Anomaly of Kidney
- Undescended Testicle
- Umbilical Hernia
- Inguinal Hernia
- Urinary Reflux
- Robotic Surgery
- Reconstructive Surgery
Contact and Practices
- M.D., Eastern Virginia Medical School, 1988