Christine Salvatore, M.D.
My clinical interests include general pediatric infectious diseases, the evaluation and management of infections in immunocompromised hosts including transplant and chemotherapy recipients, pediatric HIV, and respiratory infections.
Dr. Christine M. Salvatore is an Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics in the Division of Pediatric Infectious Diseases at Weill Cornell Medical Center. She received her M.D. in Italy at the University of Trieste Faculty of Medicine and Surgery and completed her pediatric residency in Italy at Burlo Garofolo Children`s Hospital in Trieste (Italy). After working in Italy as an attending pediatrician, she came to the United States where she completed additional pediatric training at Jacobi Medical Center in New York City, and a fellowship in pediatric infectious disease at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. She is board certified in both Pediatrics and Pediatric Infectious Diseases.
Her interest in pediatric infectious diseases began in Italy, where she collaborated as Principal Site Investigator with the PENTA (Pediatric European Network for the Treatment of AIDS) and the Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. Since then, Dr. Salvatore has been involved in several clinical trials, such as the effectiveness of antiretroviral drugs in HIV infected children, the role of antimicrobial lock therapy in clearing central venous catheter-related fungal and bacterial infections.
Clinical research is one of her main interests. While at UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, she also conducted basic research studying, in a murine model, treatment strategies for Mycoplasma pneumoniae infections and the role of IL-12 in the pathogenesis of Mycoplasma pneumoniae respiratory infections.
Demonstrating her longstanding commitment to medical education, she has given lectures to medical students, residents and medical staff on general pediatrics, pediatric infectious diseases, pediatric HIV and infectious complications in pediatric solid organ transplantation
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
1. Ventura A, Salvatore CM, Longo G. "MIGHT LABORATORY TESTS OTHER THAN RAST HELP IN DIAGNOSING FOOD ALLERGY?Â. Pediatric Allergy and Immunology 1995, vol. 6(8) suppl.:44-8.
2. Panizon F., Salvatore CM. "VOMITO PERSISTENTE E RICORRENTE: COME ORIENTARSI" (Persistent and Recurrent Vomiting: How to Manage). Rivista Italiana di Pediatria, 1995, vol. 21(4): 538-42.
3. Longo G, Salvatore CM, Ukmar R. ÂWHEN SPECIFIC IMMUNOTHERAPY (SIT) IS EFFECTIVE IN ASTHMAÂ. Pneumologia 1995 - New trends in the therapy of respiratory disorders: 19-24.
4. Ventura A., De Seta L., Martelossi S., Florean P., Maggiore G., Salvatore C.M. et al. ÂSOY ALLERGY AND DSCG IN ATOPIC ECZEMA: ÂMUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHINGÂ? Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica 1996, vol.18: 283-88.
5. Italian Registry of Pediatric HIV Infection. ÂLONG-TERM NONPROGRESSORS AMONG CHILDREN WITH PERINATAL HIV-1 INFECTIONÂ. Journal of AIDS & HR 1997, vol.15 (suppl. 1): S19-S22.
6. Milocco C, Salvatore CM, Torre G, Guastalla P, Ventura A. ÂSONOGRAPHY VERSUS CONTINUOUS 24-HOURS OESOPHAGEAL PH-MONITORING IN THE DIAGNOSIS OF INFANT GASTROESOPHAGEAL REFLUXÂ Pediatria Medica e Chirurgica 1997, 19: 245-6.
7. Co-investigator, The PENTA Group. ÂHIV-1 VIRAL LOAD AND CD4 COUNT IN UNTREATED CHILDREN WITH VERTICALLY ACQUIRED MILD OR ASYMPTOMATIC DISEASE - PENTA 1 VIROLOGYÂ. AIDS 1998: 12: F1-8
8. Salvatore C. ÂUNA TUBERCOLOSI ANTIBIOTICO-RESISTENTE TRATTATA CON IFN-gamma;Â (Multiresistant TB in an Infant Treated with IFN-gamma). Medico e Bambino, May 1998, XVII, nÂ° 5: 2.
9. Pennesi M, Salvatore CM, Peratoner L. ÂDIFFERENT CLINICAL PRESENTATIONS OF PYELONEPHRITIS IN CHILDREN WITH AND WITHOUT VESICOURETERAL REFLUX: AN ITALIAN MULTICENTER STUDYÂ. Letter to the Editor, Pediatrics, December 1998, 102(6): 1493.
10. Italian Registry of Pediatric HIV Infections. ÂLINEE GUIDA SULLA TERAPIA ANTIRETROVIRALE IN BAMBINI CON INFEZIONE DA HIV-1Â (Italian Guidelines for Antiretroviral Therapy in Children with Immunodeficiency Virus-type 1 Infection). Rivista Italiana di Pediatria 1999, vol. 25, nÂ° 1: 225-34
11. Co-investigator. The International Perinatal HIV Group. ÂTHE MODE OF DELIVERY AND THE RISK OF VERTICAL TRANSMISSION OF HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS TYPE 1Â. N England Journal of Medicine, 1999, 340: 977-87
12. Christine M. Salvatore. ÂLA SESTA MALATTIA E LÂINFEZIONE DA HHV-6Â (Exanthema Subitum and HHV-6 Infection). Medico e Bambino, Aprile 1999, vol 18, nÂ°4: 258-60.
13. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. ÂITALIAN GUIDELINES FOR ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY IN CHILDREN WITH IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS-TYPE 1 INFECTIONÂ. Acta Paediatrica 1999, 88: 228-32
14. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. ÂRAPID DISEASE PROGRESSION IN HIV-1 PERINATALLY INFECTED CHILDREN BORN TO MOTHERS RECEIVING ZIDOVUDINE MONOTHERAPY DURING PREGNANCYÂ. AIDS 1999; 13: 927-33
15. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. ÂLONG-TERM FOLLOW-UP OF HIV-SEROPOSITIVE CHILDRENÂ. Prenat Neonat Med 1999; 4: 344-350
16. Co-investigator, The PENTA Group. ÂPARENTSÂ ATTITUDES TO THEIR HIV-INFECTED CHILDREN BEING ENROLLED INTO A PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIAL: THE PENTA 1 TRIALÂ. HIV Medicine 1999; 1: 25-31
17. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. ÂPERTUSSIS IMMUNIZATION IN HIV-1 INFECTED INFANTS: A MODEL TO ASSESS THE EFFECTS OF REPEATED T CELL-DEPENDENT ANTIGEN ADMINISTRATIONS ON HIV-1 PROGRESSIONÂ. Vaccine 2000; 18: 1203-09
18. L. Lepore, C.M. Salvatore, T. Pahor,V. Kiren, A. Ventura. ÂSLOW EVOLUTION TO SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSUS OF ISOLATED AUTOIMMUNE THROMBOCYTOPENIAÂ. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2000, 18: 535.
19. Italian Register for HIV Infection in Children. ÂPREDICTIVE VALUE OF THE HIV PAEDIATRIC CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM FOR THE LONG-TERM COURSE OF PERINATALLY INFECTED CHILDRENÂ. International Journal of Epidemiology 2000; 29: 573-8
20. Co-investigator, The PENTA Group. ÂFIVE YEARS FOLLOW-UP OF VERTICALLY HIV INFECTED CHILDREN IN A RANDOMISED DOUBLE BLIND CONTROLLED TRIAL OF IMMEDIATE VERSUS DEFERRED ZIDOVUDINE: THE PENTA 1 TRIALÂ. Arch Dis Child 2001; 84: 230-6
21. Co-investigator, PACTG 316 (European Collaborative Study). ÂTWO-DOSE INTRAPARTUM/NEWBORN NEVIRAPINE AND STANDARD ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY TO REDUCE PERINATAL HIV TRANSMISSION. A RANDOMIZED TRIALÂ. JAMA, 2002; 288: 189-198
22. Waseem M, Salvatore C. ÂABDOMINAL PAIN-AN UNCOMMON CAUSEÂ Pediatr Emerg Care, Aug 2004:531-33
23. Fonseca-Aten M, Salvatore CM, RÃos AM, MejÃas A, ChÃ¡vez-Bueno S, Katz K, Gomez AM, McCracken GH, Hardy RD. EVALUATION OF LBM415 (NVP-PDF713), A NOVEL PEPTIDE DEFORMYLASE INHIBITOR, FOR THE TREATMENT OF EXPERIMENTAL MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIAE PNEUMONIA. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005; 49, 4128-36.
24. CM Salvatore, K. Katz-Gaynor, GH McCracken, RD Hardy. TIGECYCLINE THERAPY SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES INFLAMMATORY PULMONARY CYTOKINES AND CHEMOKINES IN A MURINE MODEL OF MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIAE PNEUMONIA. 46th Annual ICAAC. San Francisco, CA, September 2006
25. CM Salvatore, M. Fonseca-Aten, A. Mejias, C. Somers, S. Chavez-Bueno, K. Katz-Gaynor, A.M. Gomez, G.H. McCracken, R.D. Hardy. RESPIRATORY TRACT INFECTION WITH MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIAE IN IL-12 KNOCK-OUT MICE RESULTS IN IMPROVED BACTERIAL CLEARANCE AND REDUCED PULMONARY INFLAMMATION. Infect. Immun. 2007 Jan; 75 (1):236-42
26. CM Salvatore, C. Tagliabue, RP Santos, J. Siegel. IMPORTED MALARIA AND PROPHYLAXIS AMONG CHILDREN AT A TERTIARY HOSPITAL IN THE US. 45th Annual Meeting IDSA. San Diego, CA, October 2007
27. CM Salvatore, M. Fonseca-Aten, K. Katz-Gaynor, A. M. Gomez, R. D. Hardy. INTRANASAL IL-12 THERAPY INHIBITS MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIAE CLEARANCE AND SUSTAINS AIRWAY OBSTRUCTION IN MURINE PNEUMONIA. Infect Immun. 2008 Feb 76 (2):732-8.
28. C. Tagliabue, CM Salvatore, C. Techasaensiri, A. Mejias, JP Torres, K Katz, AM Gomez, S Esposito, N Principi, RD Hardy. THE IMPACT OF STEROIDS GIVEN WITH MACROLIDE THERAPY IN EXPERIMENTAL MYCOPLASMA PNEUMONIAE RESPIRATORY INFECTION. Accepted for publication in JID (in press)
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
- Opportunistic Infection
- Respiratory Infection
- Infectious Disease In Immune Disorders
- Pediatric HIV
- Fungal Infection
- Pediatric Infections
- Bacterial Infection
- Pediatric Fungal Infections
- HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection)
Contact and Practices
- Pediatric Infectious Disease
- M.D., University of Trieste, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery (Italy), 1993
- M.S., Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences, 2009