Thomas Ciecierega, M.D.
Being a pediatric gastroenterologist allows me to do what I love the most -- to be able to help children with their ever-challenging gastrointestinal problems. At Weill Cornell, I am a part of a unique institution, where comprehensive patient care, family integration, and pioneering research are driving forces that subsequently help patients and their loved ones to receive the best gastrointestinal care.
Dr. Thomas Ciecierega is the Director of the Pediatric Motility Center and Director of the Pediatric Endoscopy Unit at NewYork-Presbyterian Phyllis and David Komansky Center for Children's Health/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where is also an Assistant Attending Pediatrician. Dr. Ciecierega is also an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Ciecierega is a leading expert in pediatric motility, specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of gastrointestinal motility disorders including esophageal, colonic, and anorectal motility testing. Dr. Ciecierega’s expertise goes beyond routine gastroenterology testing as he specializes in advanced endoscopic procedures. Dr. Ciecierega directs or co-directs many multispecialty clinics at the Komansky Center including the Aerodigestive Clinic, Chest Pain Clinic and Constipation Clinic. Dr. Ciecierega works closely with pulmonologists, ENT specialists, speech and swallow specialists, dieticians and surgery specialists. He specializes in treating children with complex inborn or acquired ano-rectal and esophageal defects such as imperforated anus, esophageal atresia and trachea-esophageal fistula. Because of his extensive expertise, he sees patients who are referred to him by other specialists not only from the local area and from around the country but also from around the world.
Dr. Ciecierega completed his medical degree (M.D.) at the Karol Marcinkowski University of Medical Sciences in Poznan, Poland. He then immigrated to United States in 2003. He went on to train at the Goryeb Children's Hospital in Morristown, New Jersey where he completed a three-year residency in Pediatrics, followed by a Fellowship in Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin, Medical College of Wisconsin.
In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Ciecierega is an active researcher and educator. He is well recognized and has presented his research and taught at many national and international conferences. Dr. Ciecierega is a member of an elite Pediatric Motility Committee at North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition (NASPGHN). Dr. Ciecierega's interests include aerodigestive disorders, congenital ("born with") esophageal and ano-rectal defects, motility disorders, feeding problems, constipation and gastroesophageal reflux disease.
Dr. Ciecierega In the News:
- Dr. Ciecierega's interview in The Examiner, where he talks about the benefits and use of capsule endoscopy
- The Wall Street Journal referred to a recent study by Dr. Ciecierega and his colleagues regarding GERD patients
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
Ciecierega TM, Dweikat I, Awar M, Shahrour M, Libdeh B, Sultan M. Severe Persistent Unremitting Dermatitis, Chronic Diarrhea and Hypoalbuminemia in a Child: Hartnup Disease in Setting of Celiac Disease. BMC Pediatr. 2014 Dec 20;14(1):311.
Altaf MA1, Ciecierega TM, Szabo S, Miranda A, Gorges C, Simpson P, Sood MR. Comparison of Light and Electron Microscopy in Measurement of Esophageal Intercellular Space in Children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014 Aug;59(2):232-6.
Kleiman DA, Beninato T, Bosworth BP, Brunaud L, Ciecierega TM, Crawford Jr CV, Turner BG, Fahey III TJ, Zarnegar R. Early Referral for Esophageal pH Monitoring Is More Cost-Effective Than Prolonged Empiric Trials of Proton-Pump Inhibitors for Suspected Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Jan;18(1):26-33: discussion 33-4.
Adamiak, T, Altaf M, Jensen KM, Sultan M, Ramprasad J, Ciecierega, TM, Sherry K, Miranda A. One-day Bowel Preparation with Polyethylene Glycol 3350: An Effective Regimen for Colonoscopy in Children. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2010; 71(3):573-577.
Honors and Awards
- 08/2010 Young Investigator Travel Award granted by American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society for research findings in field of "Esophageal Epithelial Intercellular Space – A marker of Esophageal Injury in Non-Erosive Reflux Disease"
- 11/2009 Poster of distinction granted by North American Society of Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition for research findings in field of "Single Day Preparation with Polyethylene Glycol (PEG) 3350: An Effective Regimen for Colonoscopy in Children.
- 06/1999 Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- 06/1999 Certificate of Excellence for Highest GPA in Biology
- 06/1999 Honor Award for Outstanding Achievement in Bachelor of Arts/Biology
- Certificate of Appreciation for Serving as a Peer Supporter for 4 years
- 06/1998 Felician College Student of the Year
- Upper Endoscopy
- Wireless Capsule Endoscopy
- PH Probe Testing
- PH Impedance Testing
- Botox Injection
- Percutaneous Placement of Gastrostomy Tube
- Endoscopic Control of Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding
- Rectal Biopsy
- Liver Biopsy
- Motility Disorder, Esophageal
- Anorectal Motility Disorder
- Congenital Esophageal Defect
- Congenital Anorectal Defect
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Celiac Disease
- Esophageal Stricture
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis
- Feeding Problems
- Pediatric Gastroenterology
- B.A., Felician College, 1999
- M.D., Poznan University of Medical Sciences (Poland), 2003