Christopher E. Starr, MD, FACS
My colleagues and I at Weill Cornell Eye Associates are dedicated to delivering the best possible care to ourpatients. We have assembled a world-class Ophthalmology department providing state-of-the-art expert integrated care in all of the Ophthalmic subspecialties. I am proud to be associated with such a dynamic and compassionate team of doctors and I look forward to sharing my enthusiasm with you.
Christopher E. Starr, M.D., F.A.C.S. discusses the importance of regular eye examinations and protective eyewear.
Christopher E. Starr, MD, FACS, attended Brown University as an undergraduate and received his medical degree with honors from Cornell University Medical College where he completed an additional year of advanced laboratory research in urology. After an internship in internal medicine at Columbia University, St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital, Dr. Starr completed his ophthalmology residency training at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. He then completed an advanced fellowship program in cornea, cataract & laser vision correction surgery at Johns Hopkins University, Wilmer Eye Institute where he was the recipient of the Walter J. Stark Research Award for his work on treating corneal dystrophies. Dr. Starr has received many professional awards and honors including Best Doctors in America, America's Top Ophthalmologists, Top Ophthalmologists in the Northeast, Premier Surgeon PS250 Award, and in 2013 he was named to the prestigious Castle Connolly Top Doctors List and New York Magazine named him a Best Doctor.
In addition to his busy practice, Dr. Starr is an active and accomplished researcher and lecturer. He has contributed extensively to the ophthalmic literature, authoring numerous peer-reviewed papers, textbook chapters, original articles, and scientific presentations. He has been the principal investigator of many clinical trials and has a robust research program at Weill Cornell. He is a member of the American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) Cornea Clinical Committee and is the inaugural moderator of the international ASCRS Corneal EyeConnect online forum. Dr. Starr is an editor of the journals Refractive Eyecare, Topics in Ocular Antiinfectives, Advanced Ocular Care, Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today, Current Ophthalmology Reports and Millennial Eye for which he writes a regular technology column. He is the host of the popular online video series Eyetube Journal Club and Ocular Surface Case Series on www.eyetube.net which have been watched over 100,000 times.
Dr. Starr is also a valued educator, not only to his own residents, fellows and medical students, but also to established physicians and surgeons from around the world. As an invited instructor and lecturer he has taught physicians at the Advanced Cataract Surgery Course at the ASCRS and AAO meetings and the Intensive Cataract Surgery Course at Harvard University. He was on the planning committee of the ASCRS Cornea Subspecialty Day meeting in 2013, and he co-moderated the session on ocular surface diseases. In 2006, he was the honored recipient of the Teacher Of The Year Award at New York University, Manhattan Eye Ear & Throat Hospital for his excellence in teaching and mentoring. Dr. Starr currently serves as the Director of Ophthalmic Education and Director of the Fellowship Program in Cornea, Cataract & Laser Vision Correction Surgery at Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He was the Director of the Residency Program in Ophthalmology from 2006 to 2012.
Dr. Starr is a diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology, a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, Association of University Professors in Ophthalmology, International Society of Refractive Surgeons and the American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons among many other professional societies. Additionally he sits on the Board of Medical Directors of the Eyebank For Sight Restoration and he recently served a term as an elected board member of the New York State Ophthalmological Society. He is frequently featured in the ophthalmic and mainstream media including the New York Times, Washington Post, ABC News, CBS News, Today Show and others.
Dr. Starr is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medical Center and his practice interests include innovative laser vision correction (custom bladeless LASIK, LASEK, PRK), restorative corneal surgery (DSAEK and corneal transplantation), advanced cataract surgery with premium IOL's (accommodating, multifocal, toric, LRI) as well as dry eye and general ophthalmology. He is accepting new patients and he participates in many insurance plans, appointments can be made by calling Weill Cornell Eye Associates at (646) 962-2020. For additional information, please visit www.WeillCornellEye.org and www.StarrMD.com.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Health Plan
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
Articles in Professional Peer-Reviewed Journals
7. Afshari NA, Duncan SM, Pineda R, Ma JK, Starr CE, Paton BG, Adelman R. Trends in Resistance to Ciprofloxacin, Cefazolin and Gentamicin in the Treatment of Bacterial Keratitis. J Ocul Pharmacol Ther, 2008 Apr, 24 (2): 217-23
9. Paul T, Lim M, Starr CE, Lloyd H, Coleman J, Silverman R. Central corneal thickness measured by the Orbscan II system, contact ultrasound pachymetry, and the Artemis 2 system. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2008 Nov; 34(11):1906-12.
10. VanderBeek B, Silverman R, Starr CE. Bilateral Salzmann's-like nodular corneal degeneration after laser in situ keratomileusis imaged with anterior segment OCT and high frequency ultrasound biomicroscopy. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009 Apr;35(4):785-7.
11. Shammas MC, Lai EC, Sarkar JS, Yang J, Starr CE, Sippel KC. Management of Acute Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis Utilizing Amniotic Membrane and Topical Corticosteroids. Am J Ophthalmol. 2010 Feb;149(2):203-213
12. Wessel MM, Sarkar JS, Jakobiec FA, Dang N, Bhat P, Michaud N, Starr CE. Treatment of lisch corneal dystrophy with photorefractive keratectomy and mitomycin C. Cornea. 2011 Apr;30(4):481-5
13. L Kiang, K Sippel, CE Starr, J Ciralsky, M Rosenblatt, N Radcliffe, DJ D'Amico, and S Kiss. Vitreoretinal Surgery in the Setting of Permanent Keratoprosthesis. Arch Ophthalmol. 2012 Apr;130(4):487-92.
14. Alzaga Fernandez AG, Radcliffe NM, Sippel KC, Rosenblatt MI, Sood P, Starr CE, Ciralsky JB, D'Amico DJ, Kiss S. Boston Type I Keratoprosthesis Donor Cornea Interface Evaluated by High-Definition Spectral-Domain Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6:1355-9. Epub 2012 Aug 27.
15. Sambursky R, Trattler W, Tauber S, Starr C, Friedberg M, Boland T, McDonald M, Dellavecchia M, Luchs J. Sensitivity and Specificity of the AdenoPlus Test for Diagnosing Adenoviral Conjunctivitis. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan 1;131(1):17-21
16. Sambursky R, Davitt WF, Latkany R, Tauber S, Starr C, Friedberg M, Dirks MS, McDonald M. Sensitivity and Specificity of a Point-of-Care Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 Immunoassay for Diagnosing Inflammation Related to Dry Eye. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan 1;131(1):24-8
1. Guyer DR, Gragoudas ES, Spaide RF, Starr CE. Central Serous Chorioretinopathy. In Albert DM and Jakobiec FA (eds.): Principles and Practice of Ophthalmology, 2nd ed. Philadelphia. W.B. Saunders Co, 2000, pp.1974-1982
2. Starr C, Perez VL, Pineda R. The Long Eye. In Pineda R, Espaillat A, Perez VL, Rowe SG (eds.): The Complicated Cataract: The Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary Phacoemulsification Practice Handbook. NJ, Slack Inc., 2001, pp. 77-82
3. Snyder L, Koreishi A, Starr CE, Stark WJ. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy. In Foster CS, Azar DT, Dohlman CH (eds.): Smolin & Thoft's: The Cornea: Scientific Foundations and Clinical Practice, 4th ed. Philadelphia, Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins Co, 2005, pp 1075-1084
1. Lyu, Theodore MS; Lai, Edward MD; Starr CE. Management of Intraoperative Floppy Iris Syndrome. Contemporary Ophthalmology. 8(5):1-7, March 15, 2009.
2. J Sarkar, N Abbas, J Yang, E Lai, Starr CE. INTACS for Keratoconus. Contemporary Ophthalmology 2009;8(24):1-8.
3. Starr CE, Klufas M. Boston Keratoprosthesis. American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeWiki (http://eyewiki.aao.org/Boston_Keratoprosthesis_(KPro)), 2011
Book Reviews & Commentaries:
1. Starr CE. Cornea Handbook, eds. Trattler, Luchs, Majmudar. Book review in the American Journal of Ophthalmology, Vol 149, Issue 6, Page 1018, June 2010
2. Starr CE, Donnenfeld ED. The Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis: Improving Outcomes and Expanding Indications, Commentary & Review of Article. Evidence-Based Ophthalmology: Volume 10, Issue 4;October 2009, pp 220-221
3. Starr CE. Cornea: Fundamentals, Diagnosis and Management & Surgery of the Cornea & Conjunctiva, eds. Krachmer, Mannis, Holland. Book review in the American Journal of Ophthalmology, in press, 2012
Letters to Editor:
1. Starr CE, Radcliffe NM. Intraocular pressure and swimming goggles, Letter to Editor. Br Jrnl Ophthalmol. 2009 May;93(5):700.
Posters & Papers at Major Meetings:
1. Starr CE, Afshari MA, Paton BG, Afshari NA. The Microbiological Spectrum of Bacterial Keratitis at the Massachusetts Eye Ear Infirmary: A 22 Year Review. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2000
4. Ma JK, Afshari MA, Pineda R, Ho J, Starr CE, Paton BG, Afshari NA. Emerging Resistance Patterns of Bacterial Keratitis: Is Fluoroquinolone Monotherapy Adequate?. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2001. Winner 2nd place prize, New England Ophthalmological Society poster contest, 2001
6. Koreishi A, Starr CE, Snyder L, Stark WJ. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy versus Penetrating Keratoplasty in the Treatment of Lattice Corneal Dystrophy. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2003, Paper also presented at the Wilmer Residents Association Meeting 2003
12. Masselam K, Wong J, Jardim J, Pettinelli, D, Soloway BD, Starr CE. Nomogram For The Pre-Operative Prediction of Ablation Depth With CustomCornea Refractive Surgery. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2005
14. Hsu I, Jardim D, Soloway BD, Starr CE. The Role of Posterior Capsule Opacification with the Crystalens Accommodating IOL. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2005
15. Soloway B, Zdenek G, Boxer-Wachler, B, Starr C, Jardim D. Scleral Spacing Procedure (SSP) for Presbyopia with Refocus Presview Scleral Implants (PSI) During FDA Phase II Clinical Trials. European Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. Lisbon, Portugal 2005
17. Starr CE, Kazam T, Lai E. Pupil Size & Refractive Surgery: Should we be measuring the dark-adapted pupil? International Society of Refractive Surgery Meeting, Beijing, China 2007 (Poster) and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007 (Paper)
18. Wong JJ, Starr CE. The Effect Of Brimonidine 0.1% On Pupil Diameter And The Subsequent Change In Higher Order Aberrations Using Wavefront Analysis. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007
21. Paul T, Starr CE, Silverman RH. Corneal Thickness as Measured by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Optical Coherence Tomography, and Artemis-2. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2007
22. Greyrose SE, Starr CE, Lloyd HO, Silverman RH. Comparative Central Corneal Thickness by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Artemis 2, and Visante OCT. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, April 2008
23. Starr CE, McDonald M. Comparison of dry eye modalities in optimizing post-LASIK outcomes. Poster, American Academy of Ophthalmology, Refractive Surgery Sub-specialty Day, Atlanta, GA, October 2008
24. Sarkar J, Starr CE. Pop & Prechop, a safe supracapsular phacoemulsification technique. Poster, Association of Cataract & Refractive Surgery Meeting, San Francisco, April 2009
25. Abbey AM, Starr CE, Silverman RH. Comparative Peripheral Corneal Thickness by Ultrasound Pachymetry, Artemis-2, Orbscan, and Pentacam. Poster, Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2009
26. Donnenfeld E., Holland E, Nichamin L, Wallace RB, Starr CE, Conway T, Hollander D. A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation of the Effects of Cataract Extraction and Limbal Relaxing Incisions on Corneal Sensation and Dry Eye. Poster and Paper given at the ASCRS Meeting, San Diego, CA, 2011
27. Rodriguez B, Klufas M, Starr CE. Effects on Endothelial Cell Count and Corneal Clarity of the "Pop & Pre-Chop" Supracapsular Phacoemulsification Technique. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, San Diego, CA April 2011
28. Klufas M, Rodriguez B, Starr CE. Pop & Pre-Chop Phacoemulsification Technique: outcomes, complication rates and long-term effects on corneal clarity. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 2011
29. Vasan R, Berenberg T, Starr CE. Correlation of Tear Osmolarity, Ocular Surface Disease Index, and SANDE Scores in Healthy Volunteers. Poster Presentation at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, May 2011
30. Donnenfeld E., Holland E, Nichamin L, Wallace RB, Starr CE, Conway T, Hollander D. A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation of the Effects of Cataract Extraction and Limbal Relaxing Incisions on Corneal Sensation and Dry Eye. Paper given at the AAO Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2011
31. Alzaga-Fernandez A, Starr, CE. Visual rehabilitation of a patient with bilateral corneal keloids using the Boston Keratoprosthesis. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2012
32. Sood P, Starr CE. Tear Osmolarity Before and After Photorefractive Keratectomy. Poster presented at ASCRS Meeting, Chicago, IL, April 2012
34. Klufas M, Starr CE (senior author) et. al. The Boston Type I Keratoprosthesis: The Weill Cornell Experience. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL May 2012
35. Feng JJ, Starr CE. Correlation Between Tear Osmolarity, Tear Meniscus Height & Subjective Symptoms of Dry Eye Disease. Poster presented at ARVO Meeting, Ft. Lauderdale, FL May 2012
36. Fernandez AGA, Radcliffe NM, Sippel KC, Starr CE, Ciralsky JB, Rosenblatt MI, D'Amico DJ, Kiss S. Boston Keratoprosthesis Type 1 Device/Graft/Host Interfaces Evaluated by High-Definition Spectral-Domain Anterior Segment Optical Coherence Tomography. 8TH Keratoprosthesis Study Group Meeting, Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami FL, May 2012
37. Klufas, M. Alsberge, J, St. Clair, R. Starr, CE. Outcomes of Supracapsular Cataract Surgical Techniques With Premium IOLs. Poster presented at Association of Cataract & Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2013.
37. Bohm, Kelley, Starr CE. Dry Assessment in the Elderly Patient. American Geriatric Society Meeting, Seattle, WA, May 2013.
1. Starr CE. Tear Film Phaco. Eyetube.net, 2011
2. Starr CE. Pop & Prechop: a novel safe supracapsular cataract surgery technique. Eyetube.net 2011 & ASCRS Film Festival, 2012
3. Radcliffe N, Kiss S, Starr CE. Keratoprosthesis Surgery. American Glaucoma Surgery Meeting, Film Festival 1st Prize, 2011
4. Starr CE, Kiss S. Boston Keratoprosthesis Surgery. Academy of Ophthalmology EyeWiki (www.eyewiki.aao.org), 2011
5. Starr CE (Host). Eyetube Video Journal Club. Widely viewed online video series in which I moderate discussions on current research with the study's authors, 2011-2012
6. Starr CE. Ocular Surface Dysfunction: Dry Eye, MGD & Allergic Conjunctivitis. Filmed CME Lecture and Webcast, broadcast on Eyetube.net, Fall, 2011
7. Starr CE. Teaching Cataract Surgery to Residents, Improved Safety With The Pop & Prechop Technique. I was interviewed by Margueritte McDonald for the video series Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Journal Club, on Eyetube.net 3/2012
8. Starr CE (Host). Ocular Surface Online Journal Club. Online video series in which I discuss interesting cases involving ocular surface disorders and moderate discussions on current research, on www.eyetube.net, 2012
Honors and Awards
CHRISTOPHER E. STARR, MD, FACS
New York Magazine Best Doctors, 2013
Castle Connoly Top Doctors, 2013
Premier Surgeon Magazine PS250 Award, 2011-present
Best Doctors in America, 2010-present
America's Top Ophthalmologists, 2010-present
Top 10 Ophthalmologists in Northeast: Avvo.com & Arrive Magazine, 2011
Teacher Of The Year Award, New York University, 2006
American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons, Cornea Clinical Committee, 2012
Johns Hopkins Univ., Wilmer Eye Institute, Walter Stark Research Award, 2003
Medical Advisory Board Member, Eye-Bank For Sight Restoration, 2006-present
Manhattan Representative, New York State Ophthalmological Society, 2006-2007
- Photorefractive Keratectomy (PRK) Eye Surgery
- LASIK (Laser Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis)
- Presbyopia Correcting Function of Intraocular Lens
- Astigmatism Correcting Function of Intraocular Lens
- Lens, Intraocular (New Technology)
- Refractive Surgery
- Cataract Surgery
- Corneal Disease
- Corneal Surgery
- Corneal Transplantation
- LASIK Surgery
- Laser Vision Correction Surgery
- Dry Eyes
- Clinical Research
- Problems With Sight
- Blurring of Visual Image
Contact and Practices
- Sc.B., Brown University, 1993
- M.D., Weill Cornell Medical College, 1998