Charles A. Mack, M.D.
Having done all my training here at Weill Cornell Medical Center, I am proud to be a member of a department that is committed to excellence in every way. Our Department has always distinguished itself from the other premier programs by our willingness to accept the most difficult cases while expecting the best outcomes. With our talented multidisciplinary staff, it is no wonder that we have achieved some of the best results nationwide. In addition it is exciting to work with these professionals to expand the frontiers of science and advance the state of the art in patient care. I believe that cardiac surgery involves far more than the operation itself. Rather, it is the opportunity and privilege to treat all the needs of each individual patient from the moment that they enter our hospital until long after they are discharged home.
Dr. Charles A. Mack is an Associate Professor in the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery and the Director of The Robotic Cardiac Surgery Program at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center.
Dr. Mack completed his undergraduate studies at Fordham University in 1987. He then attended Tufts University School of Medicine, where he was elected Alpha Omega Alpha in his junior year and received both the Hewlett-Packard Top Medical Graduate Award as well as the Martin J. Loeb Prize in Surgery. He began his surgical training at New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center in 1992. While there, Dr. Mack spent two years in the cardiothoracic surgery research laboratory, in collaboration with Dr. Ronald Crystal, where his work focused on gene therapy for myocardial angiogenesis and transmyocardial laser revascularization. During this time, Dr. Mack was awarded the Merle Wood Scholar Research Award of the Morrow Society. He finished his surgical training in 1999 and remained at Weill Cornell Medical Center in The Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, under his Chairman at present, Dr. O. Wayne Isom.
Dr. Mack is a member of several medical and surgical societies, including the American College of Surgeons, the American Heart Association and the Andrew Morrow Society. His many publications in multiple areas of cardiothoracic surgery and gene therapy have been presented at various national meetings.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please feel free to contact this physician or this physician's practice as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
1. Bojar RM, Payne DD, Rastegar H, Mack CA, Schwartz SL. Ionescu-Shiley valve: Invited Reply to the Editor. J Thor Cardiovasc Surg. 1991; 102:806.
2. Bojar RM, Rastegar H, Payne DD, Mack CA, Schwartz SL. Clinical and hemodynamic performance of the 19-mm Carpentier-Edwards porcine bioprosthesis. Ann Thor Surg. 1993; 56:1141-1147.
3. Barie PS, Thompson WA, Mack CA. Planned laparoscopic repair of a spigelian hernia utilizing a composite prosthesis. J Lap Surg. 1995; 4:359-363.
4. Barie PS, Mack CA, Thompson WA. A technique for laparoscopic repair of herniation of the anterior abdominal wall using a composite mesh prosthesis. Am J Surg. 1995;170:62-63.
5. Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Zhang J, Hahn RT, Ko W, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Direct in vivo gene transfer to canine myocardium using a replication-deficient adenovirus vector. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 62:425-434.
6. Mack CA, Mastrangeli A, Magovern CJ, Carpenter H, Kovesdi I, Wickham T, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. ÂSero-switchÂ strategy for effective repetitive use of in vivo adenovirus-mediated gene transfer to provide persistent expression in the lung. Surg For. 1996;47:313-315.
7. Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Gu M, Hoda S, Altorki N. Primary inflammatory fibrosarcoma of the esophagus. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996;62: 1848-1850.
8. Mack CA, Song WR, Carpenter H, Wickham T, Kovesdi I, Harvey BG, Magovern CJ, Isom OW, Rosengart T, Falck-Pedersen E, Hackett NR, Crystal RG, Mastrangeli A. Circumvention of anti-adenovirus neutralizing immunity by administration of an adenovirus vector of an alternate serotype. Hum Gene Ther. 1997; 8:99-109.
9. Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Zhang J, Isom OW, Rosengart TK, Crystal RG. Regional angiogenesis in non-ischemic tissue utilizing a replication-deficient adenovirus vector expressing vascular endothelial growth factor. Hum Gene Ther. 1997;8:215-227.
10. Zhang QX, Magovern CJ, Mack CA, Budenbender KT, Ko W, Rosengart TK. Vascular endothelial growth factor is the major angiogenic factor in omentum: Mechanisms of the omentum-mediated angiogenesis. J Surg Res. 1997;67:147-154.
11. Cannizzo SJ, Frey BM, Raffi S, Moore MS, Eaton D, Suzuki M, Singh R, Mack CA, Crystal RG. Augmentation of blood platelet levels by intratracheal administration of an adenovirus vector encoding human thrombopoietin cDNA. Nat Biotech. 1997;15:570-573.
12. Rosengart TK, Budenbender KT, Duenas M, Mack CA, Zhang QX, Isom OW. Therapeutic angiogenesis: A comparative study of the angiogenic potential of acidic fibroblast growth factor and heparin. J Vasc Surg. 1997;26:302-312.
13. Mack CA, Budenbender KT, Polce D, Schwarz EA, Patel SR, Cogger EJ, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Salvage angiogenesis mediated by an adenovirus vector expressing vascular endothelial growth factor protects against acute arterial occlusion: physiologic evidence of benefit. Surg For. 1997;48:447-449.
14. Mack CA, Magovern CJ, Hahn R, Sanborn T, Ko W, Isom OW, Rosengart TK. Channel patency and neovascularization following transmyocardial laser revascularization utilizing an excimer laser: results and comparisons to non-lased channels. Circulation. 1997;96:II-65-II-69.
15. Mack CA, Patel SR, Rosengart TK. Myocardial angiogenesis as a possible mechanism for TMR efficacy. In: Rosengart TK, Sanborn T, Eds. J Clin Las Med Surg. 1997;15:275-279.
16. Mack CA, Patel SR, Schwarz EA, Zanzonico P, Hahn RT, Ilercil A, Devereux RB, Goldsmith SJ, Christian TF, Sanborn TA, Kovesdi I, Hackett N, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Biological bypass with the use of adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of the complementary deoxyribonucleic acid for vascular endothelial growth factor121 improves myocardial perfusion and function in the ischemic porcine heart. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998;115:168-177.
17. Mack CA, Magovern CJ, Budenbender K, Patel S, Schwarz E, Zanzonico P, Sanborn T, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Salvage angiogenesis induced by adenoviral-mediated gene transfer of vascular endothelial growth factor protects against threatened ischemic vascular occlusion. J Vasc Surg. 1998;27:699-709.
18. Mahmoud NN, Mack CA, DeCosse JJ, Michaeli J, Bertagnolli MM. Debulking of a gastrointestinal hemangioma alleviates coagulopathy associated with Kasabach-Merritt syndrome. Surg. 1999;125(2):236-238.
19. Patel SR, Lee LY, Hackett NR, Mack CA, Polce DR, El-Sawy T, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Safety of direct myocardial administration of an adenovirus vector encoding vascular endothelial growth factor 121. Hum Gene Ther. 1999;10: 1331-1448.
20. Patel SR, Lee LY, Hackett NR, Mack CA, Polce DR, El-Sawy T, Hachamovitch R, Zanzonico P, Sanborn TA, Parikh M, Isom OW, Crystal RG, Rosengart TK. Focal angiogen therapy using intramyocardial delivery of an adenovirus vector coding for vascular endothelial growth factor. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000;69:14-24.
21. Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Altorki NK, Mack CA, Lee LY, Isom OW. Ruptured descending and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 74:1066-1070.
22. Bacchetta MD, Ko W, Girardi LN, Mack CA, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Lee LY. Outcomes of cardiac surgery in nonagenarians: a 10-year experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003;75:1215-1220.
23. DeBois WJ, Liu J, Lee LY, Girardi LN, Mack C, Tortolani A, Kreiger KH, Isom OW. Diagnosis and treatment of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Perf. 2003; 18: 47-53.
24. DeBois WJ, Girardi LN, Lee LY, Mack CA, Elmer B, McCusker K, McVey J, Krieger KH, Isom OW. Negative fluid displacement: an alternative method to assess patency of arterial line cannulation. Perf. 2003; 18: 67-70.
25. Bacchetta MD, Korst RJ, Altorki NK, Port JL, Isom OW, Mack CA. Resection of a symptomatic pericardial cyst using the computer-enhanced da Vinci Surgical System. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Jun;75(6):1953-5.
26. Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Lee LY, Mack CA, Tortolani AJ, Isom OW. Management strategies for type A dissection complicated by peripheral vascular malperfusion. Ann Thorac Surg 2004;77:1309-14.
27. Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Mack CA, Lee LY, Tortolani AJ, Isom OW. Does cross-clamping the arch increase the risk of descending thoracic and thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair? Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:133-8.
28. Bacchetta MD, Girardi LN, Southard EJ, Mack CA, Ko W, Tortolani AJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Lee LY. Comparison of open versus bedside percutaneous dilatational tracheostomy in the cardiothoracic surgical patient: outcomes and financial analysis. Ann Thorac Surg. 2005;79:1879-85.
29. Mack CA, Milla F, Girardi LN, Ko W, Lee LY, Tortolani AJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW. The surgical treatment of atrial fibrillation using argon-based cryoablation during concomitant cardiac procedures. Circulation. 2005; 112[suppl I].
30. Girardi LN, Krieger KH, Mack CA, Isom OW. The no-clamp technique for valve repair or replacement in patients with a porcelain aorta. Ann Thorac Surg. In Press.
31. Girardi LN, Krieger K, Mack CA, Lee L, Tortolani AJ, Isom O. Does arch clamping increase stroke rates? (Reply) Ann Thorac Surg. In Press.
32. Milla F, Mack CA, Girardi LN. Arteriovenous fistula following laser-assisted pacemaker lead extraction. Ann Thorac Surg. In Press
33. Milla F, Skubas N, Briggs WM, Lee LY, Girardi LN, Ko W, Tortolani AJ, Krieger KH, Isom OW, Mack CA. Epicardial beating heart cryoablation using a novel argon-based cryo-clamp and linear probe. . J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. In Press.
Honors and Awards
Distinguished Housestaff Award, Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery 2000
Merle Wood Scholar of the Andrew G. Morrow Society of Cardiovascular
Surgeons Research Award 1997
Alpha Omega Alpha 1991
Hewlett-Packard Top Medical Graduate Award 1992
- Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Heart Surgery
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Surgery, Thoracic Cardiovascular
- Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery
- Thoracic/Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Coronary Artery Bypass
- Cardiac Valve Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Adult Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Pacemaker Implant
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Valve Reconstruction/Repair
- Valve Replacement
- Arrhythmia Surgery
- Atrial Fibrillation, Surgical Treatment
- Bloodless Surgery
- Surgery, Thoracic
- M.D., Tufts University School of Medicine, 1992