Alan Zachary Segal, M.D.
Recruited to Cornell in 1999, Dr. Segal was responsible for the founding and development of the New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Stroke program and supervised NYPs designation as a New York State Primary Stroke Center. This program includes aggressive management of acute stroke, using both intravenous rtPA and intra-arterial therapies such as thrombolysis, and mechanical clot extraction. Dr. Segal's research interests include the relationship between Stroke and Cancer, through which he has collaborated extensively with the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Dr. Segal has been the co-course director of the NYP Brain Attack Course which attracts 400 attendees yearly. Inpatient and outpatient clinical consultations address a wide range of issues relating to cerebrovascular disease. Dr. Segal also accepts referrals for general outpatient neurology.
In 2010, Dr. Segal expanded his practice into Sleep Disorders and is currently active in the newly expanded and renovated Weill Cornell Sleep Disorders Center. Dr. Segal's sleep practice includes the full spectrum of Sleep Disorders, including but not limited to Sleep Apnea and Sleep Disordered Breathing, Insomnia/Hypersomnia, Narcolepsy, and Restless Legs Syndrome. Dr. Segal offers collaborations with psychologists and pulmonologists in the Sleep Disorders Center to offer a full multi-disciplinary approach to patient care.
Dr. Segal received his bachelor's degree from Harvard College and MD degree from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons. He received postgraduate training at the Massachusetts General Hospital where he completed residencies in Internal Medicine and Neurology, followed by fellowship in Stroke and Neurocritical Care. He is Associate Professor of Clinical Neurology and Director of the Neurology Residency Training Program and Vascular Neurology Fellowship. Dr. Segal has published widely in the fields of Stroke, Sleep Medicine and General Neurology.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- AETNA [HMO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Medicare [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
- Critical Care Neurology
- Clinical Neurology
- General Neurology
- Sleep Medicine
- Sleep Apnea
- Sleep Disorder
- Cerebral Vascular Disease
- Doppler Ultrasound
- Internal Medicine
- Vascular Neurology
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1993