Locations and Appointments
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon - Hospital for Special Surgery
- Assistant Attending Orthopaedic Surgeon - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Instructor in Orthopaedic Surgery - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine, 2013
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 2008
Dr. William Schairer is an Assistant Attending Orthopedic Surgeon atHospital for Special Surgery and a Clinical Instructor at Weill Cornell Medical College. Dr. Schairer uses minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques to treat injuries of the shoulder, knee, hip, and elbow. He also has extensive expertise in complex open procedures as well as management of fractures and broken bones from traumatic injuries.
Dr. Schairer grew up in California and attended college at the University of California, Berkeley. He the completed his medical training at the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine where he graduated with a distinction in clinical and translational research. Dr. Schairer completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery. He then completed specialized training through fellowship in sports medicine surgery at the prestigious Steadman Philippon Research Institute in Vail, Colorado.
During his time in Colorado, Dr. Schairer volunteered as a member of the medical staff for the United States Ski and Snowboard Association, traveling around the world to support the elite athletes in training and competition. He continues to work closely with the organization volunteering in the medical pool.
Dr. Schairer has an extensive background in research about patient outcomes, epidemiology, and utilization of surgical procedures. His research interests focus on studying the effectiveness of current and upcoming techniques to treat musculoskeletal injuries. Dr. Schairer has over 75 published peer-reviewed publications and continues to be active in studying surgical, non-surgical, and biologic treatments that will best help patients ofall ages return to the activities they enjoy.
Insurance Plans Accepted
For relevant information regarding accepted insurances, please contact this provider directly.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- The Hip Society Frank Stinchfield Award
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident Research Award
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Ranawat Award for Excellence in Research
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association and OREF Resident/Fellow Travel Grant Award
- Best of Presentations at the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Annual Meeting
- Best Paper, Evidence Based Spine Surgery Symposium
- AO Spine North America Research Finalist
- Best Student Presentation, Summit of European Orthopaedic Research