You are here
Welcome to Weill Cornell Medicine, Department of Ophthalmology! My colleagues and I strive to provide our patients with a compassionate and personalized experience. We use the most current diagnostic and treatment technologies available to care for your eyes and your vision. I specialize in the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma, including open and narrow angle glaucoma, normal tension glaucoma, glaucoma suspects, ocular hypertension, and others. I am actively involved in resident didactics and surgical education, in addition to clinical quality and patient safety. Thank you for considering me for your eye care, and I look forward to meeting you.
Specialties & Expertise
- Comprehensive Ophthalmology
- Glaucoma Laser Surgery
- Laser Trabeculoplasty
- Ocular Hypertension
- Glaucoma Suspect
- Pseudoexfoliation Glaucoma
- Minimally Invasive Glaucoma Surgery (MIGS)
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Attending Ophthalmologist
Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., University of Texas Health Sciences Center, Houston, 2008
- B.S., Southern Methodist University, 2004
Stephanie J. Muylaert, MD is a board-certified ophthalmologist and Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at Weill Cornell Medicine. Dr. Muylaert specializes in the medical and surgical treatment of glaucoma, including open and narrow angle glaucoma, normal tension glaucoma, glaucoma suspects, ocular hypertension, pseudoexfoliation glaucoma, and pigmentary glaucoma.
Dr. Muylaert graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX. She received her M.D. from the University of Texas at Houston, and completed a surgical internship at Methodist Hospital in Dallas, TX. She completed residency training in ophthalmology at the State University of New York, Stony Brook followed by a glaucoma fellowship at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mt. Sinai in New York, NY.
Upon completing her fellowship, Dr. Muylaert was an attending physician at the New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mt. Sinai. She provided direct oversight to residents in the glaucoma clinic and operating room. Her dedication to resident education has continued at Cornell, where she supervises their clinical, laser, and surgical skills.
Dr. Muylaert is actively involved in New York State funded clinical research evaluating the optic nerve through advanced imaging. She has also been accepted into the Clinical Quality Fellowship Program. This prestigious program sponsored by the Greater New York Hospital Association (GNYHA) and United Hospital Fund (UHF) offers specialty training in quality and patient safety to clinicians in the New York City area. Dr. Muylaert is the first ophthalmologist accepted into the fellowship, and we look forward to seeing the quality care improvements she brings to our department, institution, and to our patients.
Dr. Muylaert sees patients both at the main Weill Cornell Medicine/ New York Presbyterian Hospital campus (1305 York Avenue) as well as the Lower Manhattan office (156 William Street) and is currently accepting new patients. Appointments may be made by calling 646-962-2020 or online at http://weillcornelleye.org/.