Sophia M. Pillai, M.D.
Personal StatementComing soon!
- Pediatric Pulmonology
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Pediatric Sleep Disorders
- Pediatric Bronchoscopy
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro (Effective 1/1/2016)]
- Oxford Health Plans [Core]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Oxford Health Plans [Charter]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- M.B.,B.S., Kilpauk Medical College, Madras University (India), 1993
Honors and Awards
- 2012, American Thoracic Society –Travel Scholarship Award
- 1999, VBR Endowment Award for the Best Paper in General Pediatrics, 36th National Conference, Jaipur, India
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Pediatrician
Dr. Pillai is Assistant Professor of Pediatrics at Weill Cornell Medical College and Assistant Attending Pediatrician at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. She is board certified in Pediatrics and Pediatric Pulmonology.
Dr. Pillai received her medical degree from Kilpauk Medical College in Chennai, India. She received clinical training in the United Kingdom and the United States. She completed her Pediatric Pulmonary fellowship at Montefiore Children’s Hospital, New York City.
Her areas of expertise include asthma, cystic fibrosis, chronic lung disease, sleep disorders, pediatric bronchoscopy and chronic respiratory conditions. Dr. Pillai has a special interest in treating children with Rett Syndrome and breathing abnormalities.
In addition to her clinical work, Dr. Pillai is active in medical education and research. She has presented at many national conferences including the American Thoracic Society. Her research work has focused on cardiovascular and breathing abnormalities in children with Rett syndrome.