You are here
My practice of medicine is guided by the philosophy of Dr. Francis Weld Peabody, renowned physician and author, who wrote:
"The treatment of a disease may be entirely impersonal; the care of a patient must be completely personal. Disease in man is never exactly the same disease in an experimental animal, for in man the disease at once affects and is affected by what we call the emotional life. One of the essential qualities of the clinician is interest in humanity, for the secret of the care of the patient is in caring for the patient."
A positive relationship and open lines of communications are pivotal to providing quality care to every patient.
Specialties & Expertise
- Pulmonary Medicine
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease Medicine
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Attending Physician
Affiliate Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Faculty of Medicine (Mexico), 1978
- B.A., New York University, 1974
Dr. Stephen Bennett attended New York University where he earned a B.A. in Biology in 1974.
He obtained his M.D. Degree from the Autonomous University de Guadalajara in 1978 and then completed his Fifth Pathway (Rotating Pre-Internship) at State University of New York (SUNY) L1J/Queens Hospital Center.
Following the Rotating Pre-Internship, year he completed his Internship and Residency at SUNY-Downstate University Hospital and Medical Center-Kings County Hospital.
His first Fellowship was obtained in Nephrology, also at SUNY-Downstate University Hospital and Medical Center. The focus of interest during these two years was Diabetic Nephropathy, AIDS Associated Nephropathy, and a special emphasis in Hypertension.
He then completed a Pulmonary Disease Fellowship in 1987 at St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center. Areas of interest during these two years included Tuberculosis in the NYC Homeless Population as well as the Pulmonary Complications of AIDS.
Prior to joining Weill Cornell Medical College in 2013 Dr. Bennett held teaching positions at St. Vincent's Hospital in the Division of Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Disease. He also maintained a teaching position with New York Medical College.
At St. Vincent's Hospital Dr. Bennett served at Secretary, Vice President, and President of the Medical Staff. He was a member of the Board of Trustees. He also served as Vice-Chair of the Respiratory and Resuscitation Committee and served as Chairman of numerous search committees including Division Chiefs in Emergency Room Medicine and Neurology. He was also Chairman of the Bylaws Committee.
He currently is the Co-Director of Manhattan West Pulmonary, a practice focusing on both Internal Medicine and Pulmonary Disease, Assistant Attending Physician at New York Presbyterian, and Affiliated Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians.