You are here
Dr. Shari Gelber is Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology and a graduate of the Maternal-Fetal Medicine fellowship at Weill Cornell Medical College.
Specialties & Expertise
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Pre-Conception Counseling
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- United Health Care
- Maternal and Fetal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist
Education & Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2002
- Ph.D., Columbia University, 2000
Dr. Gelber received her B.S. from Stanford University with honors in Biological Sciences. She received her M.D. and Ph.D. in Neurobiology and Behavior from the Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, where her research focus was in understanding the physiology of the receptors for nicotine in the brain. Prior to her fellowship at Weill Cornell, Dr. Gelber completed clinical training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Drexel University College of Medicine where she was the recipient of numerous academic and research awards.
Dr Gelber performs ultrasounds exams, amniocentesis, preconceptual counseling and consultations for patients with high risk pregnancies. Dr. Gelber has a special interest in maternal medical conditions and that may affect pregnancy including autoimmune disease, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. Dr Gelber believes the best way to achieve a successful pregnancy outcome begins before the patient is pregnant. She strives to work with patients as well as other physicians to determine the best plan for a patients with medical problems to have a successful pregnancy. She works to listen and address the patient’s concerns regarding risks of medications or disease on the pregnancy.
Dr Gelber’s research interests are in understanding the origin of both spontaneous and indicated preterm birth. She contributed to the discovery and characterization of a novel toxin from Gardnerella vaginalis, a microorganism strongly associated with preterm birth. She has also studied the role of antimicrobial proteins in the amniotic fluid and their ability to regulate inflammation in the placenta and fetus. Dr. Gelber is currently focused on understanding the role of altered immune regulation in the development of preeclampsia, one of the most common maternal illnesses leading to preterm birth.