Ryan McGarry, M.D.
Specialties and Expertise
Ryan McGarry, M.D. is a Board Certified Emergency Medicine Physician and currently practices and teaches at NYP Weill Cornell Medical Center. He is also a director, producer and screenwriter of film and television. His first feature film, CODE BLACK, was conceived and directed entirely during his residency at the Los Angeles County Hospital and was one of the best reviewed films of 2014. It inspired the CBS Television drama series, CODE BLACK, for which Dr. McGarry served as executive producer and writer from 2015-2018.
Currently, Dr. McGarry is co-creator and executive producer of the upcoming Netflix documentary series PANDEMIC, which follows emerging viruses around the world. He is also creator and writer of THE LAST CLASS, a medical drama for The CW about Artificial Intelligence in medicine.
Dr. McGarry oversees an elective for senior residents at NYP/WCMC that provides opportunities for joining active productions in a research capacity, making invaluable connections for those interested in combining their medical education with media career tracks.
Dr. McGarry was chosen by the US Department of State as a US Cultural Diplomat to Russia in 2014 for his work bridging medicine and cinema. His keynote lecture, “The Television Doctor Paradox: Popular and Powerless in the 21st Century” has been given to medical schools and conferences across North America. He is a graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. He is a member of the Writers Guild of America, West.
- Emergency Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Clinical Instructor in Emergency Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2009
- B.A., Pennsylvania State University, 2005
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare of NY