The emphasis of my practice is the treatment of lung cancer. I derive tremendous satisfaction from caring for cancer patients and enjoy being part of an outstanding team at Weill Cornell Medicine. Lung cancer treatments are evolving at an ever increasing pace, and treatments are increasingly selected based on individual patient and tumor characteristics. Our group is at the forefront of this revolution, delivering to our patients the latest advances in chemotherapies, targeted therapies, and immunotherapies.
I am also Director of our fellowship training program. In this capacity I am intimately involved in teaching and mentoring future medical oncologists and hematologists.
Specialties and Expertise
- Medical Oncology
- Thoracic Cancer
- Thoracic Oncology
- Lung Cancer
Following completion of an undergraduate degree in Biology at Yale University, Dr. Scheff obtained his medical degree at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons.
He completed a three-year residency in Internal Medicine at the New England Deaconess Hospital in Boston, and then returned to New York for three years of fellowship training in Medical Oncology and Hematology at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center.
For a number of years Dr. Scheff practiced medical oncology and hematology at the faculty practice of Staten Island University Hospital, where he was an integral part of their lung, brain, and breast cancer programs. He joined the faculty at Weill Medical College of Cornell University in 2006.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
New York State Regents Scholarship for the Professional Study of Medicine, 1984-88.
Commendation letter for teaching excellence, Staten Island University Hospital,1999.
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Hematology)
- American Board of Internal Medicine (Medical Oncology)
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Assistant Attending Physician - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 1988
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- AgeWell New York
- Amida Care
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY
- WorldWide Medical
Locations and Appointments
News and Media
Relationships and collaborations with for-profit and not-for profit organizations are of vital importance to our faculty because these exchanges of scientific information foster innovation. As experts in their fields, WCM physicians and scientists are sought after by many organizations to consult and educate. WCM and its faculty make this information available to the public, thus creating a transparent environment.