Joerg-Patrick Stuebgen, M.B., Ch.B., M.D.
Patrick Stübgen, MD received his medical degree (MB ChB) from The University of Pretoria, South Africa. He completed his medical internship at Grey's Hospital (Pietermaritzburg, South Africa). He completed his first Neurology residency training (MMed) at The University of Pretoria, South Africa. He completed a Neuromuscular Fellowship at The University of Pretoria, South Africa. He completed his doctoral thesis (MD) on limb girdle muscular dystrophy at The University of Pretoria, South Africa. He completed a second Neurology residency training program in Neurology at The New York-Presbyterian Hospital. He is certified by The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (also with subspecialty of Clinical Neurophysiology) and the American Board of Electrodiagnostic Medicine.
Dr. Stübgen likes to focus on diagnostic challenges and a sensible, personalized/patient-oriented approach to care by combining diligent bedside neurological evaluation with appropriate state of the art supportive services and technology. His interest and publications are primarily (if not exclusively) in the field of Neuromuscular Diseases e.g., neuropathy, myopathy, myasthenia gravis, neck and back pain with/without radiculopathy.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Fidelis Care
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care
1. Stubgen JP, Lotz BP: Isolated angiitis of the central nervous system: Involvement of vessels at the base of the brain. J Neurol 1991; 238:235-239.
2. Stubgen JP, Lotz BP: Segmental ballistic movement overflow myoclonus. A clinical, electromyographic and pharmacologic evaluation. Mov Disord 1991; 6:350-353.
3. Stubgen JP: Myopathy and neuropathy due to tuberculous vasculitis. S Afr Med J 1992; 81:436-437 (letter).
4. Stubgen JP, Lotz BP: Membranous lipodystrophy. Clinical and electrophysiological observations in the first South African case. S Afr Med J 1992; 81:620-622.
5. Lotz BP, Stubgen JP: The Rigid Spine Syndrome: a vacuolar variant. Muscle Nerve 1993; 16:530-536.
6. Stubgen JP: Isolated angiitis of the central nervous system. S Afr Med J 1993; 83: 618-620 (letter).
7. Stubgen JP: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: a non-invasive cardiac evaluation. Cardiology 1993; 83:324-330.
8. Stubgen JP, Ras G, Schultz C, Crowther G: Lung and respiratory muscle function in limb girdle muscular dystrophy. Thorax 1994; 49:61-65.
9. Stubgen JP, Lahouter A: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: weakness and disease duration as predictors of functional impairment. Muscle Nerve 1994; 17:873-880.
10. Ras GJ, van Staden M, Schultz C, Stubgen JP, Lotz BP, van der Merwe C: Respiratory manifestations of the rigid spine syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1994; 150:540-546.
11. Stubgen JP: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: description of a phenotype. Muscle Nerve 1994; 17:1449-1455.
12. Stubgen JP, Bartel PR: Multimodal evoked potentials and electroretinography in limb girdle muscular dystrophy. Electromyogr Clin Neurophysiol 1995; 35:31-38.
13. Stubgen JP: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: a quantitative electromyographic study. Electrmyogr Clin Neurophysiol 1995; 35:351-357.
14. Stubgen JP: Intra-ventricular blood after "traumatic" lumbar puncture. Childs Nerv Syst 1995; 11:492-493.
15. Stubgen JP: Neurosarcoidosis presenting as a retro-clival tumor. Surg Neurol 1995; 43:85-88.
16. Stubgen JP: Crossed cerebellar diaschisis related to recurrent focal seizures. Epilepsia 1995; 36:316-318.
17. Stubgen JP: Neuromuscular disorders in systemic malignancy and its treatment. Muscle Nerve 1995; 18:636-648.
18. Stubgen JP: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: a radiologic and manometric study of the pharynx and esophagus. Dysphagia 1996; 11:25-29.
19. Stubgen JP: T12 epidural metastasis mimicks pelvic recurrence of cecal adenocarcinoma. J Pain Symptom Manage 1996; 11:61-64.
20. Stubgen JP: Neuromuscular disorders in systemic malignancy and its treatment. Muscle Nerve 1996; 19:110 (letter).
21. Stubgen JP: Crossed cerebellar diaschisis related to recurrent focal seizures. Epilepsia 1996; 37:418 (letter).
22. Stubgen JP: Crossed cerebellar diaschisis related to recurrent focal seizures. Search on Epilepsy 1996; 3:10-12.
23. Stubgen JP: Neuromuscular disorders in systemic malignancy and its treatment. Muscle Nerve 1996; 19:1363-1364 (letter).
24. Stubgen JP, Stipp A: Limb girdle muscular dystrophy: a prospective follow-up study of functional impairment. Muscle Nerve 1997; 20:453-460.
25. Delanty N, Vaughan C, Frucht S, Stubgen JP: Erythropoietin-associated hypertensive posterior leukoencephalopathy. Neurology 1997; 49:686-689.
26. Stubgen JP: Neuromuscular disorders in systemic malignancy. Current Opinion in Neurology 1997; 10:371-375.
27. Stubgen JP: Nervous system lupus mimics limbic encephalitis. Lupus 1998; 7:557-560.
28. Delanty N, Georgescu L, Lynch T, Paget S, Stubgen JP: Synovial fluid PCR as an aid to the diagnosis of CNS Whipple's disease. Ann Neurol 1999; 45:137-138.
29. Stubgen JP: Initial management of the comatose patient: practical considerations. Hospital Medicine 1999; 35:51-57.
30. Caronna JJ, Stubgen JP: Predicting mortality in ICU patients with stroke. Crit Care Med 2000; 28:1656-1657 (editorial).
31. Bruno MK, Winterkorn JMS, Edgar MA, Kamal A, Stubgen JP: Unilateral Adie's pupil as sole ophthalmologic manifestation of anti-Hu paraneoplastic syndrome. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology 2000; 20:248-249.
32. Stubgen JP. Rigid spine syndrome (vacuolar variant). A quantitative electromyographic study. Electromyogr clin Neurophysiol 2007; 47: 55-60.
33. Stubgen JP. Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. A quantitative electromyograhic study. Electromyogr clin Neurophysiol 2007; 47:175-182.
34. Stubgen JP. Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Multimodal evoked potentials and electroretinogram. Electromyogr clin Neurophysiol 2007; 47:233-241
35. Stubgen JP. Rigid spine syndrome. A non-invasive cardiac evaluation. Pediatr Cardiol 2008; 29:45-49.
36. Stubgen JP. Rigid spine syndrome. A radiologic and manometric study of the pharynx and esophagus. Dysphagia 2008; 23:110-115.
37. Stubgen JP. Tumor necrosis factor alpha- antagonists and neuropathy. Muscle Nerve 2008;37:281-292.
38. Stubgen JP. Limb Girdle muscular dystrophy. An interval study of weakness and functional impairment. J Clin Neuromusc Dis 2008; 9:333-340.
39. Stubgen JP. Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. A radiologic and manometric study of the pharynx and esophagus. Dysphagia 2008; 23:341-347.
40. Stubgen JP.The effects of recombinant type I interferon therapy on human muscle diseases. Muscle & Nerve 2009 Aug 7. [Epub ahead of print].
41. Stubgen JP. B cell-targeted therapy with rituximab and autoimmune neuromuscular disorders. J Neuroimmunol 2008; 204:1-12.
42. Stubgen JP, Schultz C. Lung and respiratory muscle function in facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy. Muscle Nerve 2009; 39:729-734.
43. Stubgen JP. Interferon alpha and neuromuscular disorders. J Neuroimmunol 2009; 207:3-17.
44. Stubgen JP. Recombinant interferon-beta therapy and neuromuscular disorders. J Neuroimmunol 2009; 212:132-141.
45. Stubgen JP. Central nervous system inflammatory demyelination after rituximab therapy for idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Neurol Sci 2010; 288:178-181.
46. Stubgen JP. Neuromuscular disorders associated with hepatitis B vaccination. J Neurol Sci 2010;292:1-4.
47. Stubgen JP. Unilateral macroglossia as sole presenting manifestation of internal carotid artery dissection. Ear Nose Throat J 2011; 90:434-436.
48. Stubgen JP. Neuromuscular disorders associated with chronic hepatitis C virus infection. J Clin Neuromusc Dis 2011; 13:14-25.
49. Stubgen JP, Stipp A. Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy: a prospective study of weakness and functional impairment. J Neurol 2010;257:1457-1464.
50. Stubgen JP. Neuromuscular disorders associated with hepatitis B virus infection. J Clin Neuromusc Dis 2011; 13:26-37.
51. Patsalides A, Tzatha E, Stubgen JP, Shungu DC, Stieg PE, Gobin YP. Intracranial dural arteriovenous fistula presenting as an enhancing lesion of the medulla. J Neurointervent Surg 2010;2:390-393.
52. Stubgen JP. Neuromuscular complications of hepatitis A virus infection and vaccines. J Neurol Sci 2011;300:2-8.
53. Stubgen JP. Reversible, chronic homonymous hemianopia due to a suprasellar cyst in an elderly patient. Clin Geriatrics 2011;19:57-60.
54. Stubgen JP. Tumor necrosis factor alpha as a potential therapeutic target in idiopathic inflammatory myopathy. J Neurol 2011;258:961-970.
55. Stubgen JP. Drug-induced dysimmune demyelinating neuropathies. J Neurol Sci 2011; 307:1-8.
56. Stubgen JP. Immune-mediated myelitis associated with Hepatitis virus infections. J Neuroimmunol 2011; 239:21-27.
57. Stubgen JP. Subacute encephalopathy associated with aquaporin-4 autoantibodies. A report of 2 adult cases. Clin Neurol Neurosurg 2012;114:1110-1113.
58. Stubgen JP. Immune-mediated myelitis following hepatitis B vaccination. Autoimmun Rev 2012;12:144-149.
59. Stubgen JP. targeted immunotherapy trials for idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. J Neurol 2013;260:368-385.
60. Stubgen JP. Posterior reversible encephalopathy (PRES) after granulocyte-colony stimulating factor (G-CSF). A report of 2 cases. J Neurol Sci 2012;321:35-38.
61. Stubgen JP. A review of the use of biological agents for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. J Neurol Sci 2013;326:1-9.
62. Stubgen JP. A literature review on optic neuritis following vaccination against virus infections. Autoimmun Rev 2013;12:990-997.
63. Stubgen JP. Biological agents for chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy. Eur Neurol Rev 2013;8:60-64
64. Stubgen JP. A review on the association between inflammatory myopathies and vaccination. Autoimmun Rev 2014;13:31-39.
65. Stubgen JP. Biological agents for chronic inflammatory demyelinationg polyradiculoneuropathy. US Neurology 2014;10:38-43.
66. Stubgen JP. Autoantibody-mediated sensory polyneuropathy associated with indolent B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: A report of two cases. J Clin Neurol 2015;11:283-286.
67. Stubgen JP. Lymphoma-associated dysimmune polyneuropathies. J Neurol Sci 2015;355:25-36.
1. Stubgen JP, Caronna JJ: Coma, in Parrillo JE (ed). Current Therapy in Critical Care Medicine. (3rd edition), Mosby, St. Louis, 1997, pp306-310.
2. Stubgen JP, Elliot KJ: Malignant radiculopathies and plexopathies, in Vinken PJ, Bruyn GW (eds). Handbook of Clinical Neurology. Neuro-Oncology Part III, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1997, Volume 69, pp71-103 .
3. Stubgen JP, Caronna JJ: Altered Mental Status, in Samuels MA (ed). Hospitalist Neurology. Butterworth-Heineman, 1999, pp 27-43.
4. Stubgen JP: Craniocervical Junction Abnormalities (Chapter Neu 18) and Muscular Dystrophies and other Myopathies (Chapter Neu 21), in Berkow R (ed). The Merck Manual, 17th Ed. Merck & Co., Inc., Rahway NJ, 1999.
5. Stubgen JP, Plum F: Evaluation of the comatose patient, in Grenvik A, Ayres SM, Holbrook PR, Shoemaker WC (eds). Textbook of Critical Care, 4th Ed. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2000, pp1831-1845.
6. Stubgen JP: Seizures in multi-system disease affecting the nervous system, in Delanty N (ed). Seizures: Medical Causes and Management. The Humana Press Inc, 2002, pp49-70.
7. Stubgen JP, Caronna JJ: Coma, in Parillo JE, Dellinger RP (eds). Critical Care Medicine: Principles of Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd Ed. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, 2001, pp1259-1277.
8. Stubgen JP, Plum F: Coma, in Fink MP, Abraham E, Kochanek PM, Vincent J-L (eds). Textbook of Critical Care, 5th Ed. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2005, pp 295-309).
9. Stübgen J-P, Plum F, Kochanek PM: Coma. In: Vincent J-L, Abraham E, Moore FA, Kochanek PM, Fink MP (eds). Textbook of Critical Care, 6th Ed. Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, 2011, pp 153-165.
Honors and Awards
- New York Super Doctors (2008)
- Marquis Who's Who in Healthcare and Medicine (2006/7)
- Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering (2006/7)
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area Castle Connelly Medical, Ltd. (2006)
- Marquis Who's Who in the World (2006)
- Marquis Who's Who in America (2005)
- Best Doctors in America (2004)
- Top Physicians in America: Consumer Research Council of America (2004/5)
- Honorary Medical Officer, Fire Department of the City of New York
- Electrodiagnostic Testing
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Myasthenia Gravis
- Electrodiagnostic Medicine
- M.B.,Ch.B., University of Pretoria, Faculty of Medicine (South Africa), 1983
- M.Med., University of Pretoria, Faculty of Medicine (South Africa), 1989
- M.D., University of Pretoria, Faculty of Medicine (South Africa), 1995