Paul A. Basciano, M.D.
Dr. Paul Basciano is the Nan and Stephen Swid Research Scholar in Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College. He is an assistant professor of medicine at the college, an assistant attending physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine in Hematology and Medical Oncology.
Dr. Basciano completed his undergraduate studies in Biology and Theology at St. Joseph's Univeristy in Philadelphia in 2001. He pursued his medical degree at the Columbia University College of Physcians and Surgeons in New York, NY, graduating in 2005; he was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society while there.
He completed his internship and medical residency at the New York Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell and continued his medical training with a fellowship in Hematology and Medical Oncology at Weill Cornell.
While there, he began working in the laboratory of Dr. Paraskevi Giannakakou investigating one of the cell structural proteins called tubulin and its role in the pathogenesis of hematologic diseases, focusing on immune thrombocytopenia, acute myelogenous leukemia, and myeloproliferative disorders. His clininal and translational research intrerests include immune thrombocytopenia (ITP), congenital platelet disorders, and myeloproliferative disorders.
He joined the clinical faculty in the Division of Hematology and Oncology in 2011 and continues his clinical practice and laboratory research in the Weill Cornell Medical College.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Affinity Essential
- Affinity Health Plan
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Health Plus - Amerigroup [CHP]
- Health Plus - Amerigroup
- Health Republic
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [Medicare]
- VNSNY CHOICE Medicare [HMO]
Honors and Awards
Nan and Stephen Swid Research Scholar in Medicine at Weill Cornell Medical College
Hemostasis and Thrombosis Research Society Mentored Research Award
Phi Beta Kappa Society
Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
David E. Rogers Memorial Resident Research Award
- Platelet Disorder
- Blood Clotting Disorder
- White Blood Cell Disorder
- Myeloproliferative Disorder
- Internal Medicine
- B.S., St. Joseph's University, 2001
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2005