Specialties and Expertise
- Primary Care
Dr. Oliver Fein is a general internist with interest and experience in health policy. He holds a B.A. from Swarthmore College and earned his medical degree from Western Reserve University. Dr. Fein completed his internship at Metro General, in Cleveland, OH, and his residency at Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx. He is a Professor of Clinical Medicine and Population Health Sciences at the Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Fein's work has focused on health system delivery reform on both the national and local levels. On the national level, he was a Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellow from 1993 to 1994, when he worked as a legislative assistant in the office of Senate Democratic Majority Leader, George Mitchell. In this capacity, he was involved with developing policy on healthcare benefits, graduate medical education, healthcare quality, public health, medical malpractice, antitrust and remedies and enforcements. On the local level, Dr. Fein has been concerned with access to healthcare for vulnerable populations and the role of the Academic Health Center. In this regard, he spent 17 years at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center developing ambulatory care practices at the Medical Center and in community.
As Associate Dean for Affiliations at Weill Cornell Medical College, he is involved with diversifying the clinical and academic experiences for medical students through affiliations with hospitals and physicians who deliver health services to vulnerable populations. Domestically this has involved building an academic integrated delivery system through the NewYork-Presbyterian Healthcare System. Internationally he is responsible for the creation and expansion of Weill Cornell's Office of Global Health Education. In addition, he is chair of the New York Metro chapter of Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP), past President of national PNHP, and past Vice President for the United States of the American Public Health Association.
Dr. Fein's health services research interests include health system reform and national health insurance. He has done work in ambulatory case-mix measurement, risk adjustment, different methods of measuring social class and health inequalities and comparing the role of primary care in health system reform in the United States and the United Kingdom.
He is currently Co-Director of the David Rogers Health Policy Colloquium at the NewYork- Presbyerian Weill Cornell Medical Center of the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital. This weekly seminar brings outstanding "visitors" in health policy to the Medical Center for presentation and discussion. Over the course of the year, Colloquium participants receive a rich menu of topics in contemporary health policy and politics. The Colloquium serves as an exciting introductory health policy course for fellows enrolled in the health services research fellowship program.
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
- 1999: Elnora M. Rhodes Service Award, Society of General Internal Medicine
- 2001: Haven Emerson Award, New York City Public Health Association
- 2008: Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellowship Alumni Award for Lifetime Achievement
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Clinical and Academic Positions
- Professor Emeritus of Clinical Medicine - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education and Training
- M.D., Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, 1967
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this doctor. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the doctor’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this doctor is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - PPO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Emblem (HIP) Medicare Essential Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Access
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Blue Connection
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- * Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - Trustmark
- United Empire
- United Healthcare
- United Healthcare - Community Plan
- United Healthcare - Medicare
- United Healthcare Compass
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- WellCare of NY