You are here
I am Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine with major interest in thoracic pathology. I am an active member of each patient's clinical team and participate in weekly tumor boards and Clinico-pathologic conferences addressing treatment algorithms and development of optimum case management strategies. Weill Cornell is one of the largest centers offering a wide range of pathological services for the analysis of cardiac tissue, particularly endomyocardial biopsy specimens from patients with cardiomyopathy. In addition to routine assessment of biopsy tissue, we do immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence when necessary and electron microscopy to establish an accurate diagnosis and guide the design of the most effective plan of treatment. I also work closely with the rheumatologists caring for patients with vasculitides as well as cardiac and pulmonary involvement in autoimmune diseases.
My major research and clinical interests include pathogenesis and diagnosis of lung cancer, non-neoplastic lung diseases including pulmonary hypertension, atherosclerotic vascular diseases and cardiomyopathies. I work closely with the thoracic surgeons and basic scientists exploring the influence of tumor microenvironment on lung cancer pathogenesis.
In addition to clinical care, I am also involved in teaching cardiac and pulmonary pathology to the second year medical students.
- Pulmonary Pathology
- Surgical Pathology
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA [HMO]
- AETNA [PPO]
- AETNA [Medicare]
- Aetna - Weill Cornell [POS]
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Mediblue (Senior)]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [PPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [HMO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [EPO]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X Enhanced]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield [Pathway X]
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus [CHP]
- Fidelis Care
- GHI [CBP]
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicare]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) [Medicaid]
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans [Medicare Advantage]
- Oxford Health Plans [Metro/Core/Charter]
- Oxford Health Plans [Liberty]
- Oxford Health Plans [Freedom]
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care [Medicare]
- United Health Care [Community Plan]
- United Health Care
- VNSNY CHOICE [Medicare]
- M.B.,B.S., Lady Hardinge Medical College, Delhi University (India), 1984
- M.D., Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi University (India), 1988
Professor of Clinical Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Weill Cornell Medical College
1. Narula N, McMorrow I, Plopper G, Doherty J, Matlin KS, Burke A, Stow JL. Identification of a 200-kD, Brefeldin-sensitive protein on golgi membranes. J Cell Biol. 1992;117:27-38.
2. Narula N, Stow JL. Distinct coated vesicles labeled for p200 bud from trans-Golgi network membranes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:2874-78.
3. Narula J, Acio ER, Narula N, Samuels LE, Fyfe B, Wood D, Fitzpatrick JM, Raghunath PN, Tomaszewski JE, Kelly C, Steinmetz N, Green A, Tait JF, Leppo J, Blankenberg FG, Strauss HW. Annexin V imaging for the noninvasive detection of cardiac allograft rejection. Nat Med. 2001;7:1347-52.
4. Fogt F, Zimmerman RL, Hartmann CJ, Brown CA, Narula N: Genetic alterations of Carney complex are not present in sporadic cardiac myxomas. Into J Mol Med. 2002;9:59-60.
5. Strauss KA, DuBiner L, Simon M, Zaragoza M, Sengupta PP, Li P, Narula N, Dreike S, Platt J, Procaccio V, Ortiz-González XR, Puffenberger EG, Kelley RI, Morton DH, Narula J, Wallace DC. Severity of cardiomyopathy associated with adenine nucleotide translocator-1 deficiency correlates with mtDNA haplogroup. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110(9):3453-8.
6. Jain M, Narula N, Salamoon B, Aggarwal, A, Altorki NK, Stiles B, Mukherjee S. Full-field optical coherence tomography (FFOCT): a potential alternative to frozen section analysis. J of Pathol Inform. 2013;4:26
7. Jain M, Narula N, Salamoon B, Aggarwal, A, Altorki NK, Stiles B, Mukherjee S. Multiphoton microscopy: a potential “optical biopsy” tool for real-time evaluation of lung tumors without the need for exogenous contrast agents. Accepted for publication in Arch Pathol Lab Med.
8. Arbustini E, Narula N, Dec GW, Reddy KS, Greenberg B, Kushwaha S, Marwick T, Pinney S, Bellazzi R, Favalli V, Kramer C, Roberts R, Zoghbi WA, Bonow R, Tavazzi L, Fuster V, Narula J. The MOGE(S) Classification for a Phenotype-Genotype Nomenclature of Cardiomyopathy: Endorsed by the World Heart Federation. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;62 (22):2046-72.