Nahla A. Mahgoub, M.B., B.S.
- Psychiatry, Geriatric
- Adult Psychiatry
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Mood Disorder
- Psychosis In Elderly
- M.B.,B.S., Alexandria University, Faculty of Medicine (Egypt), 1991
Honors and Awards
1. Award of “Academic Mentorship” June 2013. Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program. New York Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell University, Westchester Division, New York.
2. Award of “Best Teacher of the Year” June 2011. Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program. New York Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell University, Westchester Division, New York.
3. Nomination for “Best Physician of the Year” Award. October 2011. New York Presbyterian Hospital/Cornell University, Westchester Division, New York.
4. Award of “Excellent Performance in Clinical and Administrative Psychiatry”. June 2006. Department of Psychiatry. Bergen Regional Medical Center, Paramus, New Jersey.
5. New Jersey Psychiatric Association Best Paper Contest Award. May 2006. “Role of Cholesterol in Alzheimer’s Disease”.
6. New Jersey Psychiatric Association Best Paper Contest Award. May 2006. “Self-mutilating Behavior”.
7. New Jersey Psychiatric Association Honorable Paper Award. May 2006. “Antidepressants and Neurogenesis”.
Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Dr. Mahgoub graduated from the University of Alexandria in Egypt and completed a Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. She then joined Weill Cornell University, Westchester Division, and demonstrated outstanding commitment to the geriatric psychiatry program, both administratively and clinically, and served as the Associate Director of Fellowship Training in Geriatric Psychiatry. She is an active member in the American Psychiatric Association, American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry, and New Jersey Psychiatric Association. She is a member of the Teaching and Training Committee of the American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry. She is also a member of the Geriatric and Psychopharmacology Committees of the New Jersey Psychiatric Association. She achieved ABPN subspecialty certification in geriatric psychiatry. She has been productive in geriatric psychiatry publications, primarily in the areas of clinical patient care and authored numerous case reports, case challenges, continuing medical education, review articles, abstracts, and book chapters. She has published in prestigious psychiatry journals including the International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Journal of the American Geriatric Society, Academic Psychiatry, Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, and Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. She is a co-director of the "Writing and Career Development Workshop" at Weill Cornell University, Westchester Division, which has greatly assisted in mentoring and helping our own fellows and junior faculty publish.
Dr. Mahgoub has keen interests in geriatric psychopharmacology, late-life depression, and cognitive impairments. She teaches and supervises geriatric fellows on a daily basis in the inpatient unit. She also teaches and supervises psychiatry residents and medical students. She is a regular lecturer throughout the year in the didactic curriculum and has pioneered the use of quizzes to enhance learning. She has received multiple awards from the New Jersey Psychiatric Association for “Best Papers”. She also received the "Teacher of the Year" Award from the graduating geriatric fellows, the “Academic Mentorship” Award from the geriatric fellows, and nominated for the “Physician of the Year” Award by the inpatient services.