Obstetrics and Gynecology
Locations and Appointments
- Adolescent Gynecology
- Pap Smear
- Family Planning
- No Obstetrics
- Premenstrual Syndrome
- Cervical Dysplasia
- Menstrual Disorder
- Gyn Exam
- Gynecologic Exams
- STD (Sexually Transmitted Disease)
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Clinical & Academic Positions
- Associate Attending Obstetrician and Gynecologist - NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
- Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology - Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Education & Training
- M.D., Temple University School of Medicine, 1984
- M.S., New York University, 1980
"Women’s health has changed most, I believe, in response to our patients and their advocates, who persistently raise the bar and demand that we make healthcare that fits women’s needs.”
Dr. Polaneczky provides gynecologic care to women of all ages, from pre-teen to post-menopause. Her goal is to provide accessible, personalized, state of the art healthcare in a one-to-one relationship with her patients, harnessing technology to communicate, educate and support their mutual goals of health and well-being. She is an active advocate of women's health, patient education and open communication between doctor and patient, and believes that the healthcare works best when it is patient-centered.
Dr. Polaneczky’s practice encompasses a wide range of reproductive health issues, including family planning, menstrual disorders, vulvo-vaginal disease, premenstrual syndrome, screening and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and abnormal pap smears, menopause and the gynecologic care of women with breast cancer. She has published and lectured extensively in the fields of contraception, sexually transmitted diseases and adolescent gynecology.
Dr. Polaneczky has studied contraceptive use in both adults and adolescents, and along with Weill Cornell colleague Steven Witkin Ph.D., pioneered the use of self-testing for Chlamydia infections in women. In addition, she has collaborated with colleagues in psychiatry investigating treatments for premenstrual dysphoric disorder, and most recently initiated a collaborative project with colleagues in Public Health and Oncology to develop a computer-based decision tool to inform women’s decisions around screening mammography.
Dr. Polaneczky writes The Blog that Ate Manhattan, a blog that combines her love of food, medicine, and New York City, that has been named one of the top 100 medical blogs and a “must-read” blog for women. Dr. Polaneczky also sings choral music, performs with her musical theater class, and loves to bike the loop in Central Park. She and her husband, who is also an educator, have two daughters.
"The internet is revolutionizing healthcare, and I’m excited to be a part of that revolution."
A graduate of Villanova University, Dr. Polaneczky received her M.S. in Biology at New York University and her M.D. from the Temple University School of Medicine. She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Albert Einstein Medical Center in Philadelphia, and served for four years as Assistant Professor of Obstetrics and gynecology at the University of Pennsylvania College of Medicine before accepting a faculty position at Weill Medical College of Cornell University in 1992. In August 2000, she became one of the first physicians in the United States to be certified as a menopause clinician by the North American Menopause Society.
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - HMO
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Aetna-NYP - EPO/POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- * Medicare
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
Honors and Awards
Honors and Awards
2009 Chanel Award for Achievement in Obstetrics & Gynecology