You are here
Michael L Loftus, M.D.
Specialties & Expertise
- Abdominal Imaging
- Computed Tomography (CT)
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging)
- Musculoskeletal Imaging
Insurance Plans Accepted
The following represents most of the managed care plans accepted by this physician. If your insurance carrier does not appear here please contact the physician’s office as they may have individual contracts not included on this site.
* indicates this physician is no longer accepting new patients with this insurance plan.
- AETNA - PPO
- AETNA - Medicare
- AETNA - HMO
- Aetna - Weill Cornell - POS
- Affinity Access
- Affinity Health Plan
- Amida Care
- Blue Priority Network
- Emblem Select Care
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - PPO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Pathway X Enhanced
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - NYPH Employees Only
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - Mediblue (Senior)
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - HMO
- Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield - EPO
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus
- Empire Empire Blue Cross/Blue Shield HealthPlus - CHP
- Fidelis Care
- GHI - CBP
- Health First
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicaid
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP) - Medicare
- Health Insurance Plan of NY (HIP)
- Oxford Health Plans - Medicare Advantage
- Oxford Health Plans - Metro/Core/Charter
- Oxford Health Plans - Freedom
- Oxford Health Plans - Liberty
- Rockefeller University - CoreSource
- UHC Compass
- United Empire
- United Health Care
- United Health Care - Medicare
- United Health Care - Community Plan
- VNSNY CHOICE - Medicare
- VNSNY CHOICE - HMO
- WellCare Health Plans
- Diagnostic Radiology
Clinical & Academic Positions
Assistant Professor of Radiology
Weill Cornell Medical College, Cornell University
Assistant Attending Radiologist
Education & Training
- M.B.A., Columbia Business School, Columbia University, 2007
- M.D., Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, 2007
- B.A., Georgetown University, 2002
Honors & Awards
New York Super Doctors Rising Stars list, New York Times Magazine
Annual education award for excellence in teaching (Hospital for Special Surgery)
Weill Cornell Alumni Council Distinguished Housestaff Award
New York-Presbyterian Hospital CARE employee of the Month
ACR E. Stephen Amis Fellowship in Quality and Patient Safety
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society (Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons)
Omicron Delta Epsilon Economics Honor Society (Georgetown University)
Michael L. Loftus MD, MBA is a board-certified radiologist specializing in Musculoskeletal Imaging and Emergency Radiology. Dr. Loftus serves as the Associate Chief Quality Officer for NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell, and oversees multidisciplinary Quality and Patient Safety initiatives across the campus to ensure that NewYork-Presbyterian remains one of the best and safest hospitals in the country.
Dr. Loftus earned his B.S. in Economics from Georgetown University and his MD degree from Columbia University, College of Physicians & Surgeons, where he was inducted to the Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) medical honor society. Dr. Loftus also attended Columbia University School of Business and earned his Master in Business Administration (MBA) degree.
Dr. Loftus completed his residency in Diagnostic Radiology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, was elected and served as Chief Resident in the last year of his residency, and was awarded the Weill Cornell Alumni Council Distinguished Housestaff award. This was followed by a year of fellowship training in musculoskeletal imaging at The Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY, where he earned the fellowship award for excellence in education. He returned to the faculty at NYP and currently serves as the Quality and Patient Safety Chair for the Department of Radiology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell.
Dr. Loftus’ clinical expertise is in Musculoskeletal Imaging and Emergency Imaging. He interprets a variety of imaging studies including radiographs, CT, ultrasound and MRI, covering all joints and extremities as well as imaging of the chest, abdomen and pelvis. He is also trained in a wide array of image guided musculoskeletal procedures. He maintains Board Certification in Diagnostic Radiology with the American Board of Radiology.
Dr. Loftus’ research interests involve quality and patient safety, radiation safety and radiation reduction techniques, as well as imaging quality and musculoskeletal ultrasound and MRI. His focus on radiation reduction and patient safety was supported by the American College of Radiology’s E. Stephen Amis Fellowship in Quality and Safety, and resulted in Dr. Loftus receiving the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Employee CARE award for outstanding service to patients in 2010.
In addition to clinical and research activities, Dr. Loftus is an active and involved teacher of residents, fellows, and medical students and has lectured both locally and internationally. He also previously served as the Program Director for the Weill Cornell Radiology Residency program.